Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Frantic Failure Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:23 am
Hello fellow MPC 4000 users,

Have any of you noticed buggy behavior with 75% swing?
When swing is set at 75%, the notes that have to swing will remove themselves during and even after recording, with only 8th notes surviving if anything at all. Note repeat with 75% swing will just give 8th notes instead.

This means swing has to be manually edited to a 75% result, which is frustrating.

Please check this out and let me know if your 4k is suffering from the same bug. I'm using the latest OS (1.71).
By JUKE 179r Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 am
No issues with mine on OS 1.71.
Try reinstalling the OS again.
By Frantic Failure Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:12 am
JUKE 179r I reinstalled Os 1.71, but nothing has changed. I find this a very strange bug and don't expect it to be exclusive to my 4k only. Have you really tried note repeat with 75% swing?
By CharlesRandolph Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:14 am
Frantic Failure wrote:JUKE 179r I reinstalled Os 1.71, but nothing has changed. I find this a very strange bug and don't expect it to be exclusive to my 4k only. Have you really tried note repeat with 75% swing?

Take pictures of your main screen as well as the timing correct menu screen. This way we can see your settings. I've tried it and everything works fine.
By rokuez Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 pm
Frantic Failure wrote:JUKE 179r I reinstalled Os 1.71, but nothing has changed. I find this a very strange bug and don't expect it to be exclusive to my 4k only. Have you really tried note repeat with 75% swing?

Do you have the white or blue mpc 4k?
By Frantic Failure Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:09 pm
I have the white one, initial release.

This is what I get after recording notes with the NOTE REPEAT on in 1/16th mode (or any other mode). When recording manually with TIMING CORRECT on, only 2-4 notes (or none of them) remain after the MPC has automatically removed them during recording. No problems with settings 50-74%.
Luckily I can set 75 percent AFTER recording by pressing WINDOW while the SWING ...% section is selected.
Maybe i need to go back to OS 1.70 or even further back. Sadly, today Akai only provides the latest OS on their website. Does somebody perhaps have these old ISO files? That would be very helpful.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:44 am
Frantic Failure wrote:I have the white one, initial release.

This is what I get after recording notes with the NOTE REPEAT on in 1/16th mode (or any other mode). When recording manually with TIMING CORRECT on, only 2-4 notes (or none of them) remain after the MPC has automatically removed them during recording. No problems with settings 50-74%.
Luckily I can set 75 percent AFTER recording by pressing WINDOW while the SWING ...% section is selected.
Maybe i need to go back to OS 1.70 or even further back. Sadly, today Akai only provides the latest OS on their website. Does somebody perhaps have these old ISO files? That would be very helpful.

Image does not show.
By Frantic Failure Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:41 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Image does not show.

Oh, well I failed at putting an image in my post correctly. You can still view it though by using right mouse then ''open image in new tab''. Sorry.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:51 am
Frantic Failure wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Image does not show.

Oh, well I failed at putting an image in my post correctly. You can still view it though by using right mouse then ''open image in new tab''. Sorry.

I don't have any of those timing issues, using 1.71. Not sure why that is happening to you. Maybe you need to initialise all the parameters. Go to Global and hit Inital.
By Frantic Failure Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:20 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:I don't have any of those timing issues, using 1.71. Not sure why that is happening to you. Maybe you need to initialise all the parameters. Go to Global and hit Inital.

Already did that. No change. Maybe I need to reinstall OS 1.71 from a previous OS, but I can´t download any version older than 1.71.
By JUKE 179r Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:55 am
Frantic Failure wrote:Image

Fixed it for you. :smoker:
Last edited by JUKE 179r on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Frantic Failure Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 am
I just found out about any device with swing on it acts like this with maximum (75% Akai/100% Roland) swing set. It just shifts every even 16th note to the next 8th note point on the grid resulting in a double note on these points. On the MPC 4000 it clears up the doubles during recording. I wonder, what have y'all been testing/doing to be giving me answers like that? Yes, my thread was stupid, but why could nobody point this out? Is it common practice to have fun with a new member? Or did nobody have the slightest clue what I meant in the first place? Deep sigh......
Last edited by Frantic Failure on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:03 am
Frantic Failure wrote:I just found out about any device with swing on it acts like this with maximum (75% Akai/100% Roland) swing set. It just shifts every even 16th note to the next 8th note point on the grid resulting in a double note on these points. On the MPC 4000 it clears up the doubles once recording mode is disengaged. I wonder, what have y'all been testing/doing to be giving me answers like that? Yes, my thread was stupid, but why could nobody point this out? Is it common practice to have fun with a new member? Or did nobody have the slightest clue what I meant in the first place? Deep sigh......

Tempo: 118
Timing Correct: 1/16 (240) with a Swing of 75%
Sound Used: High Hat
Start Time: First Beat until the end.
Bar: 4 Bars/Measure
Results: Sounds exactly like recorded after record is disengaged.