Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
User avatar
By 27b Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm
I am running 1.71.

When I attempt to delete one sample from a sequence by pressing 'Erase' and then the pad, it doesn't work. However, if I go into 'sequence edit' mode, do nothing, exit to the main screen and try again, it works. It just seems like odd behavior. Anyone else experience this?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:58 pm
27b wrote:I am running 1.71.

When I attempt to delete one sample from a sequence by pressing 'Erase' and then the pad, it doesn't work. However, if I go into 'sequence edit' mode, do nothing, exit to the main screen and try again, it works. It just seems like odd behavior. Anyone else experience this?


Never had that issue. Make sure you have the following.

Track: Which ever track you want to delete.
Time: Select your time
Erase: All Events
Pad: Select with pad you want to delete
User avatar
By 27b Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 pm
yep. i have done all these things. i have never had this problem on my 60 or 2500.

like i mentioned, if i go into sequence edit and back to the main screen, it then works. just seems like odd behavior. i am thinking it could be something to do with my program or pad layout?
By CharlesRandolph Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm
27b wrote:yep. i have done all these things. i have never had this problem on my 60 or 2500.

like i mentioned, if i go into sequence edit and back to the main screen, it then works. just seems like odd behavior. i am thinking it could be something to do with my program or pad layout?



It must be something you're doing. I've tried it on both my MPC 4000's and I don't have that issue.


Lampdog wrote:I've never heard of that before either.

+1
User avatar
By 27b Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 pm
[quote="CharlesRandolph"]It must be something you're doing. I've tried it on both my MPC 4000's and I don't have that issue.[/quote]

I'd like to think so, but I do know how to delete a specific sample on a track. The behavior I am describing is somewhat inconsistent and seems like it's either a bug or something to do with the program note layout.

For example, I load up my drum kit on track 1. I program a beat. Decide to delete the hi hats and re-record them. Hi hats are on pad A16. I press 'erase' and the erase dialog pops up. Once that happens, I tap A16 to select the pad to delete. A16 appears in the dialog as the note I want to delete. I press 'Do it'. Play back the track and the hi hats are still there. I can do this over and over and the hi hat does not delete.

If I then go to the "sequence edit" screen and immediately exit back to the main screen, I repeat the erase operation outlined above and it works as expected. It really makes no sense to me.

All I can think is that maybe in chromatic mode, A16 maps to a different note number than A16 in the MPC default pad layout.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:13 am
27b wrote:
I'd like to think so, but I do know how to delete a specific sample on a track. The behavior I am describing is somewhat inconsistent and seems like it's either a bug or something to do with the program note layout.

For example, I load up my drum kit on track 1. I program a beat. Decide to delete the hi hats and re-record them. Hi hats are on pad A16. I press 'erase' and the erase dialog pops up. Once that happens, I tap A16 to select the pad to delete. A16 appears in the dialog as the note I want to delete. I press 'Do it'. Play back the track and the hi hats are still there. I can do this over and over and the hi hat does not delete.

If I then go to the "sequence edit" screen and immediately exit back to the main screen, I repeat the erase operation outlined above and it works as expected. It really makes no sense to me.

All I can think is that maybe in chromatic mode, A16 maps to a different note number than A16 in the MPC default pad layout.


post a photo of your MISC: Setup screen, MIDI: Routing, and ERASE button menu screen.