Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By rabidhamster Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Apologies if this is one of those RTFM questions, but want to know if any of you fine folks have experience doing SysEx backups of your synthesizers, etc into the MPC4000? It seems to me it should be just as easy as making a new program, doing the dump on the synth and recording the incoming sysex midi info with the MPC, but I've never actually done a SysEx dump at all before so I want to make sure I'm not sniffing up the wrong tree. I do remember reading that there are a lot of devices that don't necessarily work as expected with sysex info.

Thanks
By peterpiper Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:06 pm
Sorry no experience with the MPC4000. I did sysex dumps of my Boss DR660 drummachine and my Yamaha Promix01 back in the days but I saved it in Cubase Atari :-D And yes it was easy. Simply connection of MIDI cables in both directions, create a new track in cubase (don't forget to enable recording of sysex data), hit record and start the dump from the specific menu of the device (SEND DUMP). Wait a while (keep an eye on the MIDI input on the recording device). And thats it.

Receive was simple too. Set the device in receive mode and hit play in cubase. (make sure to record the current state of the device first so you don't loose your newer stuff)

That was the process for a full dump but depending on the device you might be able to dump just a single program/preset too

peace
By wavejockey Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 pm
in contrast to the new MPC X/live, this works like a charm on the MPC 4000
By rabidhamster Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:31 am
tiger001 wrote:in contrast to the new MPC X/live, this works like a charm on the MPC 4000

Awesome thanks. Glad I haven't jumped on the X, I briefly considered trading the 4k in towards one since I'm not the most proficient with it yet. seems from everything I read I wouldn't be happy I did.
peterpiper wrote:Sorry no experience with the MPC4000. I did sysex dumps of my Boss DR660 drummachine and my Yamaha Promix01 back in the days but I saved it in Cubase Atari :-D And yes it was easy. Simply connection of MIDI cables in both directions, create a new track in cubase (don't forget to enable recording of sysex data), hit record and start the dump from the specific menu of the device (SEND DUMP). Wait a while (keep an eye on the MIDI input on the recording device). And thats it.

Receive was simple too. Set the device in receive mode and hit play in cubase. (make sure to record the current state of the device first so you don't loose your newer stuff)

That was the process for a full dump but depending on the device you might be able to dump just a single program/preset too

peace

awesome good to know, thanks! Oddly I just happened to pickup a Promix 01 today on the cheap, plan to use it as a mixer for the MPC 8 outs for now. I was surprised at the specs on it with how old it is, hopefully I didnt just toss $50 down the toilet.