Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By LavenderM Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm
Hi,
I would like to replace quite noisy original HD in my mpc4000. Could you recommend some which is compatible with mpc4000 on the market now? SSD would be nice if it works.
Thank you
By rabidhamster Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 pm
I wound up going with an IDE to SD card adapter from Amazon. Cheaper than the SSD and the MPC doesn’t stream audio from disk anyway so the SSD better speed doesn’t come into play.
I haven’t tried my specific adaptor yet, haven’t made time to get the samples off my HDD and install it, but the reviews I see from those who have were positive.
By richie Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:41 am
aresko wrote:Use the USB port on the back, install the driver + software. if it's working correctly when you open the software you will be able to edit programs and drop samples into the memory.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Why are you linking android apps that have nothing to do with what your post is about?
By cleansocks Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 pm
rabidhamster wrote:I wound up going with an IDE to SD card adapter from Amazon. Cheaper than the SSD and the MPC doesn’t stream audio from disk anyway so the SSD better speed doesn’t come into play.
I haven’t tried my specific adaptor yet, haven’t made time to get the samples off my HDD and install it, but the reviews I see from those who have were positive.

You could do this with the 4000? remove the drive bay and put CF / SD? if so what kind? any 3.5 inch bracket adapter or is there a specific one that works

https://www.newegg.com/syba-sd-cf-ide-b ... klink=true
By richie Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:35 am
You're better suited to get an actual IDE to SATA adapter an a legitimate SATA hard drive.

While yeah, a CF card is a form of solid state media, the quality of the nand chips used for external cards is not to be looked at as reliable as a regular hard drive.

Now if you want to go the CF to IDE route, you also have to consider that the one you linked has no convenient mounting point in the MPC 4000. You'd have to purchase a 3.5" CF to IDE adapter, basically a startech one to get the bracket but the price of doing that will be more or less equivalent to buying a decent brand SSD and a IDE to SATA adapter.
By JUKE 179r Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 pm
If people want speed you won't get it by switching to an SSD on a legacy/older sampler. Too much bottlenecking. I'd only prefer an SSD install for more silent operations.
On my MV8800, I added a CF card reader in place of the internal 4700RPM laptop HDD. There isn't any noticeable speed difference but there is no hard drive noise. Silence! :smoker:
By Lampdog Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:31 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:There isn't any noticeable speed difference but there is no hard drive noise. Silence! :smoker:

Wanna replace my 4k hdd with ide sd reader and use 64gb card one day (gotta get un-lazy first)

I don’t plan on removing it, don’t need to. I can use front usb for any removable shit I need.
I just want no hdd noise.
By dabmeister Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:23 am
I recently replaced a failed HD with an SSD. The only difference is it takes more time to boot. However, I did do a back up of everything at one point using ak.sys, and thanked myself for doing so.
By RepRSP Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 pm
also put a SSD drive into my 4000 not too long ago.
I´m using a Samsung 860 Pro 128gb with the Startech converter. It worked well after I installed everything, and has so for the past few weeks. However just before the drive could not be recognized by the MPC. I did a few update scans, turned the machine off and back on but no luck so far. Before I oped up the unit to have a closer look, anybody got an idea what might cause the problem here? It seems strange, since it worked like it should just last Sunday ago
By DokBrown Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:02 pm
Old HDD problems is why I let go of my roland MV. I do not miss taking forever to save a project that was only 1/3 GB ;-(. Good to see there are workaround for the MPC4000. If roland had put out a 9000 with compactflash/SD and the made unit smaller, I prolly would not be here at MPCFORUMS.