Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Dan Jose Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:36 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm coming over here from the 2k forum as I am doing my homework to eventually upgrade my mpc. Ideally i'd like a 4k with an ssd, max ram, and 8 analog outs, but prices seem stupid high now for anything close to that. I'm from the bay, but live in london, and from what i see online via local online market places and ebays, people are asking almost as much as a new MPC X. I know peoples' buy it now prices do not reflect market prices but people are asking for 1k for 2500s over here now. It all seems a bit nuts. Have these really hit that vintage niche category in the market where they can fetch prices that compareto much more powerful contemporary equipment?

My initial reasons for looking into a 4k is that i enjoy limitations as i have adhd and am generally easily distracted and all over the place, so for me, often less is more if you know what i'm saying.

So are these just the going prices for 4k's now? If that's how it is should i just get an x next year? I like the older equipment because i feel like having to work around limitations helps me understand the fundamentals of production and teaches me patience which is good for my short attention span.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,

Dan
By Lampdog Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:57 pm
What 4k limitations?

4k, 2000, 2500 & 1k is vintage.

They cost vintage prices, that’s just the way it is.

I got mine (adat, efx, 8out, 512 ram, 80gb ide), GET YOURS MAN!
By JUKE 179r Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:33 pm
As with any older music gear, be aware of the possible issues from previous owners...
-Total neglect.
-Heavy gorilla hands pounding on pads and buttons making for broken tactile switches, variable resistor knobs and slide potentiometers.
-Unit left on for days causing screen burn in.
-Smokers using it as an ash tray.
These are some of things I found bad with my used 4000 but since I can solder and get the electronic parts I’m glad I bought it.
Go for it!
By CharlesRandolph Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:28 pm
In the next two months, you'll see lot of MPC 4000 go up on eBay. 2020 NAMM is two months away, people will start unloading gear. :nod:
By renegadebliss Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:34 am
There's a MPC 4000 for sale barely used on Portland's craigslist right now... just dropped from $750 because nobody was grabbing it... not mine , not selling mine :)
By 40Beatz Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Be Patient and keep searching. Dont settle for the 1st one you see.

Prices Fluctuate when you lookin for Vintage Gear!

Not Too many Limitations performance wise. Coming from the 2000(xl), you should be very happy.
Although, when i dust my 4000 off, Working on the X/Live has spoiled me with access to all the features. On the 4000 I find myself touching the Screen alot mistakenly lol. Naming Tracks, setting chop points, setting Keygroups, etc....requires a lot of work on the 4000 lol

Im just spoiled from Newer Technology.
By Sense-A Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:52 pm
You can plug in a usb keyboard to type/name tracks.

Limitations sometimes inspire more creativity. Look at all the classic music produced on SP-1200s with only 5 seconds sample time!

The MPC 4000 is very powerful. Nothing about the mpc x or live interests me. I use computers for some things. plugins. DAW. archiving samples.

But it is nice to have something as powerful as an MPC 4000. Right now you can still find some beat up ones for $500-$700 and some very nice ones for $800-$1000

They will probably only increase in price. I think for the price the MPC 4000 is underrated. People overpay for SP-1200s and MPC 3000's. The MPC 4000 with some proper outboard gear is nice. Why overpay for the compression or filter in an akai s950 or mpc 3000 or sp-1200 when you can filter and compress drums outside the box with just the twist of some knobs?

The MPC 4000 is my home studio MPC and drum box. I often use other samplers but move them to the mpc 4000 for sequencing.

My MPC 1000 is my portable machine I take with me in a laptop bag.

The MPC 4000 is selling for about the same price as an mpc 2500 and IMO the MPC 4000 is a better value.

Even though MPC 2500 has JJOS it costs extra, and JJ is the guy who designed the OS on the MPC 4000.
By NearTao Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 am
Also don't forget that you can get all the old samplers such as the S950, S1000, S3000, Z4/8, etc... sure they have no sequencer... but then you can get whatever sequencer you want and get a lot of those older sounds.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 am
I wonder if he still has the source code for the MPC 4000? If so he should update the MPC 4000.

Sense-A wrote:Even though MPC 2500 has JJOS it costs extra, and JJ is the guy who designed the OS on the MPC 4000.
By Apricotkilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 pm
I’m looking to buy a 4000. There’s one available with the below configurations, what’s a fair price for a white version with the following:

internal SSD (240gb), 272mb of memory, EB4JS multi efx board and IB-4D S/P DIF board

No 8out, I’d have to add that later with this one. Any ideas a good price?
By MoreBuck$ Tue May 25, 2021 12:04 am
wavejockey wrote:500€

Good luck finding a unit at that price.
By Dillionaire_ Mon May 31, 2021 12:41 am
I just got a mint 4000 from JP auctions, works perfectly and honestly the condition almost brought a tear to my eye.
HD, FX card, no digital clock, no 8 outs, no adat but it was $400usd. Shipping was a heap though about $300usd
By trehollywood Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:42 pm
Man I almost hate to post this but I found a MPC4000 at the pawnshop for $350..wasn’t even looking for one but I had to snatch it up. The only issue is the headphone jack needs replacing.