Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By ruzina Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:01 pm
hello,

sad day here. MPC 4000 wont boot past the start screen.
i did unconnect HD, CDROM and RAM, tried like that, no result. connected all back.
i also removed battery, measured, it shows 2.8V. waited few minutes, put battery back, no result.
this MPC was taken care as it is humanly possible.
it is on 1.7.1.
i am located far from any decent service centers.

can anybody chime in an idea?

oh, and i know nothing about flashing ROM, etc... never changed original OS and never used it with a computer.

THX!

Ruzina
By JUKE 179r Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:15 am
I replied to your PM.
BTW... The MPC4000 doesn't have a battery.
By ruzina Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:21 am
JUKE 179r wrote:I replied to your PM.
BTW... The MPC4000 doesn't have a battery.

It is located at the left inner corner of a CD rom enclosure, just as described in service manual. Will get the new one and try.
By ruzina Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 pm
ok,

so i got new battery installed and it is same as it was before.
i downloaded all what is needed for installing new OS on the mpc, but the problem is that win 10 laptop does not "see" mpc connected at all so it does not go into "found new hardware" dialogue which would allow me to install the drivers.
the more i read, i now see that some people are saying that it is not working on 64bit windows and win 10 as well???

is that true?

also, slight miracle happened about i am not sure what to think.
while i was trying to make win10 laptop recognize new usb device i was moving USB jack cable end at the mpc side (desperate i know) and then i thought i could start mpc and while is powered i plugged USB in.
suddenly i heard HD spinning and message bellow start screen said something like ABORT.
as i was looking at screen upside down because i was messing with USB, by the time i got in normal operating position, MPC was at the MAIN page, happily waiting for me.
i was bit shocked, so i navigate to sample and program page pnly to find nothing (probably because i changed battery) and when i wanted to go back to main page, it was frozen :(

so now i am trying to power it again by repeatedly shutting down and up.

please, does anyone have comments on 64 bit win OS and drivers recognition?
I think that WIn do no see MPC because it never passes to that stage (pass the start screen)?

and i was so excited when finally booted up after 24 hrs trying, that i forgot to look at the laptop if Win found new device.

surely it must be some expert here?
i hardly believe AKAI support will let me down completely / i mean, u build such a beast of machine and then in decade you piss on it by not supporting at all. i hope and i think my machine just need "little" something to be operational.

any thoughts?

thx
By ruzina Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 pm
ok, so update:

it really is the case when i move the USB jack of a dummy USB cable at the rear of MPC that succeed to successfully power it up. The rate of success is such that i need to power it up 5 times in row juggling the cable to succeed one time.

Every third time MPC will freeze after half a minute or so, and very third time it will not recognize HD.
But every now and then it works completely as it should and this is still not solving my problem cause i can not use MC like this. it reminds me of car powering manually by rotating the shaft at the engine.

however, as i want to check all functionality i came across another puzzle.
i never used onboard effects before with MPC and now i wanted to check that too.
as far as i understand, if i load only one (1) sample and make it lets say a drumprogram.
i assign that sample to lets say certain pad (only one) on one note.

at effect page i need to choose input send A, choose the effect (lets say delay), edit effect to make it apparent, lets say feedback 80% and some delay time, set the out to L/R and at the mix page of the effect page i disable direct signal by putting it to off
effect page done

at program page i need to route OUT for that sample to LR (as i listen through headphones).
when there i bring the FX level to +6 dB and use A as a send buss.
program page done
_________________________________________-

at multi page i rise the effect send level to +6dB and assign bus send to A.

at mixer page now i see that current (only one existing) multi has my preset (only one existing) at the part 1, and that it is assigned to out L/R, FX send level is at max and it is designated as A...

at this point i can not hear any kind of EFX...

any ideas? am i doing something wrong or FX card is faulty - but then i do not understand why it shows all effect presets?

please advice, many THX...

i am going slightly mad.... :)
By ruzina Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:46 pm
ruzina wrote:ok,

so i got new battery installed and it is same as it was before.
i downloaded all what is needed for installing new OS on the mpc, but the problem is that win 10 laptop does not "see" mpc connected at all so it does not go into "found new hardware" dialogue which would allow me to install the drivers.
the more i read, i now see that some people are saying that it is not working on 64bit windows and win 10 as well???

is that true?
thx

I ve found stashed old PC laptop with XP on it and it USB recognition immediately worked - i successfully reloaded OS but situation is the same. So if this can be some help to somebody - nope, win10 64bit did not recognized anything.
but it did not change my situation :(
By bizon Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:13 am
ruzina wrote:
bizon wrote:Try to remove effects card.

Hi, thx... is this a guess or something known.? Am not sure how easy is to remove it...

If your effects card is faulty unit won't boot up. Mine works without card.
By ruzina Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:32 pm
bizon wrote:
If your effects card is faulty unit won't boot up. Mine works without card.

Hi, bizon,thank you so much for your responses.

as i tried everything else - i do not know what else to do except to remove the card.
however, I read this is not so easy, so i found a competent electronic person that would do it together with me. he was for years repairing TV sets, video sets, hifi's and computers so i feel like giving it a go.

do you know the procedure? do i really need to remove complete top panel or it can be done just by lifting it up, like while i was rechecking RAM and HDisk?
also, because i was checking it all on the phones, i just discovered that main LR output DOES not work, either on jacks or XLRs.
it works fine on headphone (but with some weird noise) and it works on 8 individual outputs (no noise at all).

is this main LR not working also caused by EFX card?

thanks for all answers, i am really going crazy and a bit disappointed with such a low response here at the forum :(

once this nightmare is over i will post all my findings.

ruzina
By bizon Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:38 pm
Hey tuzina. Don't be disappointed. Don't expect this forum will solve all your problems. I used to have problems with my 4000 as well. Luckily I have found guy how could fix that for me and it cost me a bit of money too.

Here is the link how to remove FX card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cId_bHUFM

Make a video with all your 4000 issues. Sometimes it's better to see the issue rather than reading about it.
Peace