Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cpot Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:34 am
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me get all my data off my MPC 4000 internal HD onto a macbook pro.

I removed the hard drive, purchased an ATA/ IDE to USB converter cable and hooked it up to my macbook. The drive spins, is definitely on, and I used the MPC today so I know it works, but, the macbook will not show the drive. Anyone have any advice for how to get the macbook to recognize it?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Danny
By JUKE 179r Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:51 am
It should be plug and play.
Open up Disk Utility, connect the MPC4000 via USB, hit Command D and it should pop up on the Mac.
By cpot Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:26 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:It should be plug and play.
Open up Disk Utility, connect the MPC4000 via USB, hit Command D and it should pop up on the Mac.

Thanks for your response! So, I didn't need top take the HD out of the 4000? Just link up my macbook to the 4000 via USB?
By JUKE 179r Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:09 pm
From the manual...
"Connecting USB devices
[USB] connectors are provided on the front panel and the rear panel of the MPC4000.
The rear [USB] connector (slave) can be connected to a USB-equipped computer (Windows or Macintosh),
allowing you to control the MPC4000 from an editing program.
The front panel [USB] connector (host) can be connected to a USB storage device such as a hard disk or
CD-ROM drive to save the MPC4000’s internal data, or to a USB-compatible ASCII keyboard for easier
input of names.
USB devices support “hot plugging,” which means you can connect or disconnect them even when the
power is on. When you connect a USB device, the MPC4000 will recognize it automatically."
By cpot Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:28 pm
Thanks again! No luck connecting the MPC to my computer. The disk utility doesn't find the disk. I did hook up a USB drive to the MPC though and the MPC finds it, but there is no option to dump the data onto that USB drive. Does anyone know where that option would live? I drove myself crazy looking for it last night :WTF:
By Lampdog Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:52 am
USB in the back is a slave port, to be used with aksys software on computer (win xp).

USB in front is a host port, to be used with external hdd’s, thumbdrives, typing kybd.
By cpot Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:22 pm
Lampdog wrote:USB in the back is a slave port, to be used with aksys software on computer (win xp).

USB in front is a host port, to be used with external hdd’s, thumbdrives, typing kybd.

Thanks, Lampdog. Do you know if you can only save a folder at a time from the front USB? I was hoping I could just dump the entire HD onto an external via that USB port.
By Freddyfresh Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:54 am
cpot wrote:Hello, I am hoping someone can help me get all my data off my MPC 4000 internal HD onto a macbook pro.

I removed the hard drive, purchased an ATA/ IDE to USB converter cable and hooked it up to my macbook. The drive spins, is definitely on, and I used the MPC today so I know it works, but, the macbook will not show the drive. Anyone have any advice for how to get the macbook to recognize it?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Danny

you need an older macbook from like 2002 / 2004 and the software editing program that cam out briefly to pass samples back and forth or else you can use CD or flash drive in front panel
By Lampdog Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm
cpot wrote:I was hoping I could just dump the entire HD onto an external via that USB port.

Damn how did I never reply to this.

"Save Entire Memory" (save all in ram) is an option, yep.

Parallel on Mac to run win xp, on xp install the old 4k program, usb to 4k should work and that is your answer.

I do this same thing on win 10, I installed virtualbox and win xp in that, installed old 4k program and then usb printer cable from 4k to PC. This allowed me to run the old 4k program and drag, drop whatever I wanted in that program, NOT via explorer / NOT via finder on mac.

This has been talked about alot here in the forums, search and you can find more details on it.