Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By 5U-7_(7ON) Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:15 am
Sup y'all, I haven't been on the forums for a couple years, but the quarantine has got me back on my MPC daily.

I am having a new issue I haven't noticed before, where during playback only, on the part mixer page, my virtual FX and pan pots develop minds of their own. They start randomly dialing back and forth, affecting the FX mix and my panning for multiple active parts. It looks like a ghost recorded a Q-link sequence and when I wasn't looking and made these values swing wildly back and forth, except they are random and not sequenced.

Anyone else have this issue? Could this be a sign of a damaged FX card? Hard drive failure? OS bug? I was only running 8 or 9 tracks when this issue started happening. I'm currently clocking at 48kHz internal.

Thanks
By 5U-7_(7ON) Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:21 am
Found this in a bugs thread:

"The MPC causes great trouble with setting levels, because when one level setting makes it reach the maximum level, another level parameters won't work right anymore.

Example:
Assign a sample to a pad and turn on "16 levels" with parameter "velocity".
Got to MIXER mode and play PAD 16 (maximum level).
Changing the level slider 1/3 makes no difference
If you change that level slider 1/3 by playing PAD 12 for instance, there is a clear difference.
In other words, in this case the part mixer can only add something when note velocity is not at a maximum.

Since there are several level settings all over the 4k (sample amplitude, zone level, keygroup level, program level, part level etc.), things get very complicated.

This description is not final yet."

I can't really make out what the author is really talking about. But maybe it's related to my program, as the author mentions the part mixer.
By NearTao Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm
It has been years since I totally remembered what that meant... but I think the gist of it is...

If you run out of db headroom (ie you start clipping), the 4k will start forcing levels down (I forget the order), so that they effectively don't matter in some areas. So if you get into this area where it is pushing levels down due to a heavy bass and kick drum for example... raising levels of some other areas (mixer, pad, whatever it is that gets impacted) may not make a change.

This what I recall... but YMMV.
By 5U-7_(7ON) Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:15 am
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that about the 4000, thanks for that info. I wonder if that's all that was happening, I do tend to really push my bass and kick more than I should. If it happens again on a project without any heaviness/clipping, I guess that's when I'd know it's something more serious. Thanks again!