Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:05 am
Hi,

I got my turntable hooked to my phono jack and I sample from there, and my line out port is currently attached to speakers,

I recently purchased an SP 404 because I Found one pretty cheap and jumped on it, so i'm a little premature since I'm fairly new to MPC 4000 but I figured I will be using this in the future so why spend more money later on.

Say I want to chop up slice n dice sequence all that jazz on the MPC 4000, but i Want to run it to Sp 404. Well thats all great except I have no way of recording that except with the 404 and the 1gb CF card taking it in and out and in and out is tedious

Here is my question:

Can I run my MPC 4000 Line output to SP 404 Line input, and then SP 404 Line output to MPC 4000 line Input?

So they are essentially connected by the MPC 4000 routing to the Sp 404, and then doing whatever on the SP 404, setting record to Line in, and then replaying it with the SP FX into the MPC 4000 and recording it? I have no idea if this is how electronic circuitry works or if this is possible but the inputs and outputs are there I just dont want to risk frying my machines or **** something up. The Turntable would be on the side connected to the MPC 4000's phono jack. Could I do this?

I want to sample from records to my MPC 4000 and arrange them there, but I want to run it thru the SP 404 for effects, and ultimately record the result back to my MPC 4000, where I can arrange the sounds and export them without a 1gb constraint and a mediocre sampler (but excellent FX machine).
By cleansocks Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:22 pm
NearTao wrote:You can hook it up as described, but be aware you can created feedback loops doing that.

If you have the audio out card you could hook up to an output other than main outs to avoid this problem.

Idk what that is... ADAT? If so no, I only have 8 outs and fx expansion.

Could I route the mpc to the sp 404 and route the sp 404 directly to my computer?
By cleansocks Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:24 pm
dryad-66 wrote:The OG404 has a sound.SoundS really super good.Altho compressed slightly gives it a unique timbe.Just be aware of feedback loops.

Well I’m very happy to hear that it’s a quality machine... is there any way I can avoid feedback loops with 8 out?? Or maybe the XLR cable slot in the back..
By cleansocks Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:38 pm
ALSO, if XLR cannot work (since it is main out) without feedback loops, can I send MPC 4000 data using midi out to SP 404 midi in? And then Manipulating the sounds there and then sending it back with SP 404 line out to MPC 4000 line in?
By cleansocks Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:50 pm
UPDATE:

I got the SP and it is awesome but i have one more question regarding it and the MPC 4000...

based on what NearTao said, It can cause feedback loops if I use :

MPC line out -> SP line in
SP line out -> MPC line in

However, I was wondering if I could avoid feedback loops if i used the phone and mic in lines as such:

MPC Phones -> SP Mic In
SP Line out -> MPC line in
By Cockdiesel Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Put outputs 7+8 to the 404. When you have a sound you want to manipulate with the 404 just assign them to outputs 7+8. Or you can connect the main outs of the Mpc to the 404 and connect the monitors to the 404s outputs. You should be able to swap samples between the 2 but you may need to use a computer depending on what types of options you have on both.
By NearTao Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 pm
The gear you’d possibly damage is your speakers... and possibly your ears with a feedback loop.

When doing something similar... here is what I would do...

MPC Main L/R -> Speakers
MPC 1/2 out -> SP 404 in (assuming that on the 4K 1/2 is not the same as L/R, may need 3/4)
SP 404 out -> MPC Line in

Then, you can choose to use your non L/R outputs to dump audio to the 404, and feed it back into the MPC.

What causes a feedback loop is when you have the inputs and outputs connected, so that it is always passing the same audio back to the next device in a chain. What you described creates an audio loop because if you have monitoring on then the signal just gets passed down the chain. The difference for what I describe is that you can control what audio goes from the 4K and is passed onto the SP, and control what goes out to your speakers.

Hopefully that makes sense.

EDIT: Or do previous post... same idea :)
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm
cleansocks wrote:Hi,

I got my turntable hooked to my phono jack and I sample from there, and my line out port is currently attached to speakers,

I recently purchased an SP 404 because I Found one pretty cheap and jumped on it, so i'm a little premature since I'm fairly new to MPC 4000 but I figured I will be using this in the future so why spend more money later on.

Say I want to chop up slice n dice sequence all that jazz on the MPC 4000, but i Want to run it to Sp 404. Well thats all great except I have no way of recording that except with the 404 and the 1gb CF card taking it in and out and in and out is tedious

Here is my question:

Can I run my MPC 4000 Line output to SP 404 Line input, and then SP 404 Line output to MPC 4000 line Input?

So they are essentially connected by the MPC 4000 routing to the Sp 404, and then doing whatever on the SP 404, setting record to Line in, and then replaying it with the SP FX into the MPC 4000 and recording it? I have no idea if this is how electronic circuitry works or if this is possible but the inputs and outputs are there I just dont want to risk frying my machines or **** something up. The Turntable would be on the side connected to the MPC 4000's phono jack. Could I do this?

I want to sample from records to my MPC 4000 and arrange them there, but I want to run it thru the SP 404 for effects, and ultimately record the result back to my MPC 4000, where I can arrange the sounds and export them without a 1gb constraint and a mediocre sampler (but excellent FX machine).

Sample into the SP 404 and manipulate the sample. Once you have it where you want it.
Sample the SP 404 into the MPC 4000, and do more editing and sequencing.

or

Sample into the SP 404 and trim and apply effects there. Midi out MPC 4000 into MIDI in of the SP 404 and trigger the sounds and do all the sequencing using the MPC 4000.

or

Sample into the MPC 4000, edit and manipulate and sequence. Then run the audio through the SP 404 and apply effects, into some kind of recorder.
By cleansocks Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
cleansocks wrote:Hi,

Here is my question:

Sample into the SP 404 and manipulate the sample. Once you have it where you want it.
Sample the SP 404 into the MPC 4000, and do more editing and sequencing.

or

Sample into the SP 404 and trim and apply effects there. Midi out MPC 4000 into MIDI in of the SP 404 and trigger the sounds and do all the sequencing using the MPC 4000.

or

Sample into the MPC 4000, edit and manipulate and sequence. Then run the audio through the SP 404 and apply effects, into some kind of recorder.

"Sample into the SP 404 and manipulate the sample. Once you have it where you want it.
Sample the SP 404 into the MPC 4000, and do more editing and sequencing. "

I want to do exactly this but I was told main outs into sp line in and sp line out back to mpc line in would cause feedback loops so i didnt bother trying that. Same with Main outs to sp line in, then sp out to mpc line in.

I tried plugging the 'Phones' Cord into SP 404 Mic input which recorded into the sp but sounded extremely crunchy, distorted, lo-fi, not in the musical sense but 'half the sound is just artifacts' lo-fi. It sounded terrible and if i turned it up higher on the SP it would case a wheeeeeeeing sound (I think the SP manual refers to it as 'howling') , either way that method did not work either.

I am taking NearTao and Cockdiesel's suggestion and trying my 8 outs to my SP. Had to get another 1/4 to RCA jack.

If that doesn't work then idfk, it seemed to work for Jfilt with Phone to Mic in method but he had an MPC 2000XL so i don't know if that is the same, either way it sounded nice and smooth on MPC 4000 and it sounded bitcrushed to bits in the SP so I'm certain thats not the sound it is supposed to produce and capable of producing. I know its a lo - fi machine but I'm certain I had my sample set to Stereo not lofi in the SP so It can't be that.

"Sample into the SP 404 and trim and apply effects there. Midi out MPC 4000 into MIDI in of the SP 404 and trigger the sounds and do all the sequencing using the MPC 4000."

I'll be honest, I was about to say that's a terrible idea but Sampling on the sp is easy enough, and the effects are far superior and while idk how to save midi data on MPC 4k i imagine its not that hard, however, the biggest hangup would be the difficult process of file transfer. Ultimately, once i get the sound I need from the machines I want to have an easy way to save and transfer the beats to PC to be edited, published, streamed etc. The MPC 4000 in this case is far superior since it has a nice fat enough hard drive to store what you need and more, and file transfer is extremely easy with the USB port. You couldn't ask for better. On the SP 404's side is a maximum of 1GB Compact Flash. I could save it on here but I would having to be taking it in and out over again, and I know how finicky Roland's SP card readers can be, at least from what i read. Honestly, it's a great Idea and I might just end up doing this if the 1/4 jack MPC outs --> SP Line in --- SP Line out --> MPC Line in doesn't work out.

"Sample into the MPC 4000, edit and manipulate and sequence. Then run the audio through the SP 404 and apply effects, into some kind of recorder."

In that case I would have my Turntable to Phono, and Main out to SP 404 Line in, and then the Line out to my Speakers. That would work too but same point as the one above I would have to save it on SP 404 and take it out over and over again, which I am a bit concerned about because of people spewing bad about the CF card reader on the unit. Like you said, I could plug it into a recorder but I've had already got so much gear and I'd be adding another piece for what the MPC can already do (recording and exporting songs). Maybe I'd shell out for a Tascam but this would be my absolute last option since I am very hesitant on buying yet another piece of gear. Plus, I'd have to connect a speaker system and a tascam so I'd have to use main out (Speakers currently) and 8 outs (tascam). If I would have to spend money on a tascam and end up using 8 outs anyway, I wouldn't bother and just use 8 outs for the MPC to SP input (sequence and sample'd) and apply final effects there, then SP Line out to MPC Line in, as you and the other guys said above (and in example 1). I don't see why i would need a recorder in that case but unless my MPC board is damaged and just cant do 8 outs and main outs for whatever reason I would use this as a last resort option.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:13 am
Do you have an audio interface connected to your computer?

cleansocks wrote:
"Sample into the SP 404 and manipulate the sample. Once you have it where you want it.

I want to do exactly this but I was told main outs into sp line in and sp line out back to mpc line in would cause feedback loops so i didnt bother trying that. Same with Main outs to sp line in, then sp out to mpc line in.

I tried plugging the 'Phones' Cord into SP 404 Mic input which recorded into the sp but sounded extremely crunchy, distorted, lo-fi, not in the musical sense but 'half the sound is just artifacts' lo-fi. It sounded terrible and if i turned it up higher on the SP it would case a wheeeeeeeing sound (I think the SP manual refers to it as 'howling') , either way that method did not work either.

I am taking NearTao and Cockdiesel's suggestion and trying my 8 outs to my SP. Had to get another 1/4 to RCA jack.

If that doesn't work then idfk, it seemed to work for Jfilt with Phone to Mic in method but he had an MPC 2000XL so i don't know if that is the same, either way it sounded nice and smooth on MPC 4000 and it sounded bitcrushed to bits in the SP so I'm certain thats not the sound it is supposed to produce and capable of producing. I know its a lo - fi machine but I'm certain I had my sample set to Stereo not lofi in the SP so It can't be that.

"Sample into the SP 404 and trim and apply effects there. Midi out MPC 4000 into MIDI in of the SP 404 and trigger the sounds and do all the sequencing using the MPC 4000."

I'll be honest, I was about to say that's a terrible idea but Sampling on the sp is easy enough, and the effects are far superior and while idk how to save midi data on MPC 4k i imagine its not that hard, however, the biggest hangup would be the difficult process of file transfer. Ultimately, once i get the sound I need from the machines I want to have an easy way to save and transfer the beats to PC to be edited, published, streamed etc. The MPC 4000 in this case is far superior since it has a nice fat enough hard drive to store what you need and more, and file transfer is extremely easy with the USB port. You couldn't ask for better. On the SP 404's side is a maximum of 1GB Compact Flash. I could save it on here but I would having to be taking it in and out over again, and I know how finicky Roland's SP card readers can be, at least from what i read. Honestly, it's a great Idea and I might just end up doing this if the 1/4 jack MPC outs --> SP Line in --- SP Line out --> MPC Line in doesn't work out.

"Sample into the MPC 4000, edit and manipulate and sequence. Then run the audio through the SP 404 and apply effects, into some kind of recorder."

In that case I would have my Turntable to Phono, and Main out to SP 404 Line in, and then the Line out to my Speakers. That would work too but same point as the one above I would have to save it on SP 404 and take it out over and over again, which I am a bit concerned about because of people spewing bad about the CF card reader on the unit. Like you said, I could plug it into a recorder but I've had already got so much gear and I'd be adding another piece for what the MPC can already do (recording and exporting songs). Maybe I'd shell out for a Tascam but this would be my absolute last option since I am very hesitant on buying yet another piece of gear. Plus, I'd have to connect a speaker system and a tascam so I'd have to use main out (Speakers currently) and 8 outs (tascam). If I would have to spend money on a tascam and end up using 8 outs anyway, I wouldn't bother and just use 8 outs for the MPC to SP input (sequence and sample'd) and apply final effects there, then SP Line out to MPC Line in, as you and the other guys said above (and in example 1). I don't see why i would need a recorder in that case but unless my MPC board is damaged and just cant do 8 outs and main outs for whatever reason I would use this as a last resort option.
By cleansocks Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Do you have an audio interface connected to your computer?

cleansocks wrote:

no, im curious why I would need that
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:24 am
cleansocks wrote:no, im curious why I would need that

Because you need an audio interface to track the music to your DAW. If not, you're going to have to do lots of Mickey Mousing around to get your audio into your computer. The MPC 4000 is a beast of a machine, you really need to wrap your head around it, before trying to incorporate other gear.