Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:04 am
I haven't been able to find a topic related to this making me think it's a feature of the mpc i am missing, or maybe my machine is ****..

My problem is, when I copy paste sequences together into a song the note events don't play or loop. You can sometimes hear it start for a second and then silent again, it's really starting to demoralize me since I've heard all praise about this machine and I've had it for 3 months and I still keep running into this problem ,causing me to leave before i can craft anything worthy of listening to. Lol.

This doesn't just happen with songs, I've had single sequences try to loop back only to cut after playing one time. It will play fully on play start, then on the second time it plays for a split second then silence. And when it keeps looping it just plays that split second over and over again not the original sequence I want looped. Either way, I cannot find anything on this so maybe im just **** stupid or missing something or maybe its my machine. I looked into the manual and didn't find anything about auto muting sequences or timing correct being responsible or anything like that.

To better understand I will link a youtube video highlighting this issue with two sequences exactly the same running in song loop.

I have tried messing around with Seq Edit and step edit with some success. If I move the second sequence about a second over from where the note event originally is, I can get the sequences to play correctly for one loop (so 6 bars, two 3 bar sequences) BUT when it loops again it does the same split second playing and then abrupt silence again. So even when I can get the two sequences to play correctly, it only does it once but when it loops back again it plays for half a second and then silence. This is by far the biggest problem i've ran into and the only one I can't seem to find any research or forum posts on. I really hope my machine isn't trashed and I'm just being stupid again.

In the video, I have two sequences and this only highlights the issue of sequences lined up in song mode but not playing. I can post a video of the sequences working but cutting after looping if needed

By cleansocks Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:29 am
Lampdog wrote:Polyphony and Mute groups are explained in the manual.

IDK if this is the problem but it wouldn’t hurt to read\troubleshoot.

I looked at Mute groups and it says they have to be assigned which I know I didn't do. HOWEVER

I found this in the manual for Polyphony:

"Selects the priority order in which each part will sound. If you exceed the maximum
polyphony, notes will be turned off beginning with the lowest-priority parts."

Also says that 1-64 is the range with 64 as the maximum obviously.

So obviously I can just increase it yes? BUT what happens if 64 is not enough and my sound keeps cutting out?
By Sense-A Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:29 pm
It sounds like something with the settings, not a hardware issue.

I can't watch the video right now but my first guesses would be:

mute groups, note priority, or data not getting copied correctly while copying/pasting.

Do you have the most up to date operating system?

Is it possible there's ghost notes that are muting the other notes?

Sorry I'm not more help.
By cleansocks Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:09 am
NearTao wrote:Do you know how many individual notes you are trying to play at the same time? Don't forget, stereo samples consume twice as many notes of polyphony.

not sure how to check that, I know that when I go to seq edit there are little dots aligned with the pad numbers and theres maybe 2 total, its just a loop taking from a record into a sequence and put the sequences together in a song. Now I can't give you an exact answer how many notes it was but I'm fairly sure a simple loop shouldn't be taking all 64 notes.
By cleansocks Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:10 am
Sense-A wrote:It sounds like something with the settings, not a hardware issue.

I can't watch the video right now but my first guesses would be:

mute groups, note priority, or data not getting copied correctly while copying/pasting.

Do you have the most up to date operating system?

Is it possible there's ghost notes that are muting the other notes?

Sorry I'm not more help.

I have the most up to date os 1.71, Not sure what note priority is but I know it's not a mute group. Also never heard of "ghost notes"
By cleansocks Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:25 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:If you look at the step edit, it shows there is no sound recorded between bar: 004.01.690 to 007.01.000. Also why is your loop starting at 01.01.510? Did you mean for it to start like that?

at the 1.01.510 mark is one loop being played for the duration (3 seconds) and then at 4.01.690 its the same loop for (3 seconds). If I shift the times I can get both to play but when it loops back from 1.000 it'll be silent, either I get the loop to work correctly ONCE (but it wont loop back) or I get the beginning of the loop correct and the second half cut out, and then when it loops back to 1.000 itll play that same loop at the beginning correctly but won't play the same loop again (at 4.01.690 mark).

also it was originally at 1.000 and 4.000 but I started having problems like i described with the same second loop not playing, so I shifted the times around and messed around with it a bit before recording the posted video.

For example, if I keep it at 1.000 and shift the 4 to 4.01.50 or 4.02 it'll play the loops correctly but it won't loop back (it'll play the first loop for half a second and then silent).

If I shift the 1.000 to 1.01.5 or further it'll play the first loop fine but the second loop will cut out and be silent, and then it will loop back playing the first loop at 1.01.5 and then cut out again.

Lamp said above it has something to do with polyphony but that's 64 individual notes maximum otherwise it gets cut out. Now I'm not sure how to check exactly how many individual notes my small loop is but It can't possibly be exceeding the maximum to the point it cuts the other loop out.

In other words, if in sequence 1 a 7 second loop, loop 1 starts at 1.00 and goes to 4.00 but loop 2 also starts at 4.00, i don't see why loop 1 should silence loop 2, or if loop 2 starts at 4.01.5 why it should cancel loop 1 playing in the sequence when it loops back. If anything that overlap / error should be allowed to be played so I Can go back and manually adjust it and get it sounding right. Right now I can't get a basic sequence going because if my sequences are too tight they won't play, and if i leave ample room between two sequences then it'll only loop once correctly but won't play at all on loop back.

It really seems like an elementary and tiny problem I'm certain I'm missing something that anyone experienced with an MPC automatically knows but it's just frustrating and I haven't been able to find an answer for it and it's really interrupting what I was hoping to accomplish with this machine. Seems after a day or two i should have been able to make a decent drum track or bassline but it's impossible if your sequences don't work correctly, and that's been the case since i picked this machine up in march.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 am
Upload the project to google drive or dropbox and link it here.

cleansocks wrote:at the 1.01.510 mark is one loop being played for the duration (3 seconds) and then at 4.01.690 its the same loop for (3 seconds). If I shift the times I can get both to play but when it loops back from 1.000 it'll be silent, either I get the loop to work correctly ONCE (but it wont loop back) or I get the beginning of the loop correct and the second half cut out, and then when it loops back to 1.000 itll play that same loop at the beginning correctly but won't play the same loop again (at 4.01.690 mark).

also it was originally at 1.000 and 4.000 but I started having problems like i described with the same second loop not playing, so I shifted the times around and messed around with it a bit before recording the posted video.

For example, if I keep it at 1.000 and shift the 4 to 4.01.50 or 4.02 it'll play the loops correctly but it won't loop back (it'll play the first loop for half a second and then silent).

If I shift the 1.000 to 1.01.5 or further it'll play the first loop fine but the second loop will cut out and be silent, and then it will loop back playing the first loop at 1.01.5 and then cut out again.

Lamp said above it has something to do with polyphony but that's 64 individual notes maximum otherwise it gets cut out. Now I'm not sure how to check exactly how many individual notes my small loop is but It can't possibly be exceeding the maximum to the point it cuts the other loop out.

In other words, if in sequence 1 a 7 second loop, loop 1 starts at 1.00 and goes to 4.00 but loop 2 also starts at 4.00, i don't see why loop 1 should silence loop 2, or if loop 2 starts at 4.01.5 why it should cancel loop 1 playing in the sequence when it loops back. If anything that overlap / error should be allowed to be played so I Can go back and manually adjust it and get it sounding right. Right now I can't get a basic sequence going because if my sequences are too tight they won't play, and if i leave ample room between two sequences then it'll only loop once correctly but won't play at all on loop back.

It really seems like an elementary and tiny problem I'm certain I'm missing something that anyone experienced with an MPC automatically knows but it's just frustrating and I haven't been able to find an answer for it and it's really interrupting what I was hoping to accomplish with this machine. Seems after a day or two i should have been able to make a decent drum track or bassline but it's impossible if your sequences don't work correctly, and that's been the case since i picked this machine up in march.