Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Dillionaire_ Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:55 am
dryad-66 wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:Yo,Had the same kinda problem recently with distorted samples and general machine bad behaviour and it was the FX board that can go bad.Unfortunately it down under the boards facing the bottom of case.Would be worth going down there and popping it out,reassemble and check again.If its ok go back inside clean the slots and pins (it pops off with slight firm pressure from a screw driver or something less dangerous to the boards) refit and repeat the procedure.Left mine out because it was obviously faulty.I had to change one on a Z8 a couple of years ago too.Was happy to find it was just that.


Ok update.Turns out my problem was not with the FX card but with the lower boards not connecting properly via a clip together connection.Creating all kinds of crazy.You would have to take all lower boards out,disconnect one from the other and pop/clip them back together.While down there do the same with the FX board.My boards need to be Screwed back to together in such a way as to not create a disconnect again.Anyway saved my machine as it was just getting worse and was unusable.Plus i got my FX back !!!!! Very happy now “ ]



Dryad, you know those ribbons with chunky connectors.. i almost snapped one taking it out, i just wondered if you have any tips for taking the lower boards out.
By Dillionaire_ Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 pm
Managed to get the lower boards out, substantial build up of fluff and dust under the lower boards around the soldering below the Ram slots. I can see a couple solders which are possibly burnt out. Will try to pry the FX card from the mobo today however its so tight in its clips I feel like it's going to shatter the boards. Will give a good scrub with alcohol. Re seat the new ram sticks properly and boot it for a test run. Pray for me.
By Dillionaire_ Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 am
I've pulled the machine apart and done everything I've learned.

It's booting with "fatal error"

ID: 00000016

I : 40404044

FSR : C000525D

FAR: FDFDEDEDB7

Will read service manual and continue
By 40Beatz Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 pm
Ouch
By Dillionaire_ Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:02 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:@Dillionaire_, on the MPC 4000, is your FAN working? Do you have the blue or white MPC 4000?


Hi mate, i am not sure about the fan, I will have a look at it soon.

In other news.

I purchased a mpc2000xl a couple hours ago

plugged it in and the rams ****.

ive spent 3k and cant even make a fukn beat so far
By Dillionaire_ Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 am
Dillionaire_ wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:@Dillionaire_, on the MPC 4000, is your FAN working? Do you have the blue or white MPC 4000?


Hi mate, i am not sure about the fan, I will have a look at it soon.

In other news.

I purchased a mpc2000xl a couple hours ago

plugged it in and the rams ****.

ive spent 3k and cant even make a fukn beat so far



Holy ****, i opened up the 2000XL and some ribbon loosened off. reseated and booted mint

The XL WORKS... F MY LIFE. U DONT UNDERSTAND HOW HAPPY I AM.

Onto fixing the 4000 and the 5000

Ive got majors with the 4k to test but the 5K has blown caps on the dimmer board and PSU, im taking them out to recap. Will sell the 5k when its done and put the money into fixing the 4k back to its former glory.

Thanks dudes
User avatar
By Lampdog Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:31 am
A correctly working 4k will be the last legacy h/w you will ever need.
By Dillionaire_ Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:04 am
Lampdog wrote:A correctly working 4k will be the last legacy h/w you will ever need.


Amen brother, its all I wanted really :-)

I'm enjoying the 2000xl but the 4k is on another level compared
User avatar
By Cases Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:46 am
Dillionaire_ wrote:Hello I'm somewhat new to MPC's and I've been reading the manuals and leaning the basics over the last 6 months. I started with a MPC4000, since I've had it its been great. Last night I was jamming and trying to finally piece together my small studio with a few machines.

I have been loading in samples from a USB stick without problems until now, when I woke up today and started to jam on the MPC, almost all samples on my USB stick are distorted as hell. Some samples work and others no, its confusing the **** out of me because yesterday it was all working piece of cake.

I've tried to reset to factory settings, I've reset the system clock at 44.1khz. I cant really see what else I can do in the OS to fix the problem. I experienced something similar when I thought I could load in 8 bit samples from the internet and got a similar sound when auditioning in the load screen. To me it feels like the bit rate is all **** up but honestly I don't know, knowing my luck with gear it will be a lemon.

I will pull the thing apart today and clean everything but before I do that has anyone experienced this?
I will try taking the RAM in and out for tests too, I saw that somewhere and looked like a good idea.


Thanks guys.


moust likely you are using the 8-out expansion, am I right? Or you using the main stereo bus?

For me this problem was caused by the 8-outs, let me know.

[edit] besides that man, I just now read your unfortunate attempts to get a working machine to allow you to do what you need: making music.

I have a MPC4000 for you that I can offer for a very small price, it needs some work, but I've been working on it (in its current state.) for about 10 years now and it's doing fine. I don't really feel keen to part with it, but I also don't like stories like this... I can imagine it kills your creativity, to not even start about your mood.
User avatar
By Cases Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 am
Cases wrote:
Dillionaire_ wrote:Hello I'm somewhat new to MPC's and I've been reading the manuals and leaning the basics over the last 6 months. I started with a MPC4000, since I've had it its been great. Last night I was jamming and trying to finally piece together my small studio with a few machines.

I have been loading in samples from a USB stick without problems until now, when I woke up today and started to jam on the MPC, almost all samples on my USB stick are distorted as hell. Some samples work and others no, its confusing the **** out of me because yesterday it was all working piece of cake.

I've tried to reset to factory settings, I've reset the system clock at 44.1khz. I cant really see what else I can do in the OS to fix the problem. I experienced something similar when I thought I could load in 8 bit samples from the internet and got a similar sound when auditioning in the load screen. To me it feels like the bit rate is all **** up but honestly I don't know, knowing my luck with gear it will be a lemon.

I will pull the thing apart today and clean everything but before I do that has anyone experienced this?
I will try taking the RAM in and out for tests too, I saw that somewhere and looked like a good idea.


Thanks guys.


moust likely you are using the 8-out expansion, am I right? Or you using the main stereo bus?

For me this problem was caused by the 8-outs, let me know.

[edit] besides that man, I just now read your unfortunate attempts to get a working machine that allows you to do what you need to do: making music.

I have a MPC4000 for you that I can offer for a very small price, it needs some work, but I've been working on it (in its current state.) for about 10 years now and it's doing fine. I don't really feel keen to part with it, but I also don't like stories like this... I can imagine it kills your creativity, to not even start about your mood.

how about 250 dollars mate?
By Dillionaire_ Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 am
Cases wrote:
Cases wrote:

moust likely you are using the 8-out expansion, am I right? Or you using the main stereo bus?

For me this problem was caused by the 8-outs, let me know.

[edit] besides that man, I just now read your unfortunate attempts to get a working machine that allows you to do what you need to do: making music.

I have a MPC4000 for you that I can offer for a very small price, it needs some work, but I've been working on it (in its current state.) for about 10 years now and it's doing fine. I don't really feel keen to part with it, but I also don't like stories like this... I can imagine it kills your creativity, to not even start about your mood.

how about 250 dollars mate?
[/quote]


Hi cases, I haven't been back here for a while after these machines all broke down on me I almost went mad, I've been thinking about it over the end of the year and I'm pretty keen to try and get one of these machines going and give it another last shot, I took the mpc5000 to a shop yesterday and had the inverter board worked on but no success. I would 100% take you up on your offer if it still stands!!! I do anything to be back rocking on the 4000 man, if you would do that for me feel free to email me at dilrobb@gmail.com, I won't miss it
By Dillionaire_ Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 am
The show must go on, a good fella on the mpc4k FB group sold me a motherboard and the main input and output card.

Just installed it and the machine is back up and running.

I've got no sound coming in and going out of the unit for now, in the main in, digital in (CD), the monitor headphone jack or the master out.

I'm pleased it's up and going atleast. I have my old output board which I might fit tomorrow to see if that helps.

Anything else to be aware of when no sound happening please shout out to me
Ty