Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By dryad-66 Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 pm
cleansocks wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:The aha cable will be connected to your old hard drive.

why?

Why what.Unplug thr ATA cable from your current HD and plug it into the startech adapter.Plug your new SSD into the other side of the startech adapter.Plug moles cable in to where the Molex goes (same as HD) Its pretty self explanatory when you have it all there.As long as the ATA cable pin connection is the same as the one you ordered (startech) I hope so...
By cleansocks Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:21 pm
Why what.Unplug thr ATA cable from your current HD and plug it into the startech adapter.Plug your new SSD into the other side of the startech adapter.Plug moles cable in to where the Molex goes (same as HD) Its pretty self explanatory when you have it all there.As long as the ATA cable pin connection is the same as the one you ordered (startech) I hope so...

it should be... feel like i've seen at least two or so people on these forums / youtube with that exact chip.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:45 am
dryad-66 wrote:Yeah i dont think the SSD drive will be faster.The aha cable will be connected to your old hard drive.

@Charles-Just loaded 512mb....... From Hard drive 7 minutes.From USB stick 13 minutes.I was a bit off with my estimation of how much ram i was actually using.Thought i was filling it up with all my long stems.lol.Anyway interesting exercise.

So basically nearly twice as long using the USB !!!

I didn't test it with a hard drive or ssd because I removed them. But even from HD/SSD 7 minutes load time is way too long. :lol:
By jmk Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:28 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:because I removed them

Just want to clarify... You don't have absolutely no memory devices inside your 4k and its works as usual and you using usb stick only, right?
I want to remove hard drive which just making extra noise since I started to use usb stick only (and I tired pushing NO SPIN every time haha). But also I want to know this action won't give any bad effect on my 4k.

Thanx in advance!
By dryad-66 Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:09 am
jmk wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:because I removed them

Just want to clarify... You don't have absolutely no memory devices inside your 4k and its works as usual and you using usb stick only, right?
I want to remove hard drive which just making extra noise since I started to use usb stick only (and I tired pushing NO SPIN every time haha). But also I want to know this action won't give any bad effect on my 4k.

Thanx in advance!

Makes no difference if hard drive is in or out.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:06 am
jmk wrote:Just want to clarify... You don't have absolutely no memory devices inside your 4k and its works as usual and you using usb stick only, right?

Thanx in advance!

I have memory, but removed all internal storage devices and I only use USB flash drive.

No noise and less power being used. Also trying to back up anything over 30 MB via USB 1.1 is not my idea of fun. Save everything to my flash drive, eject it, insert it into computer, back up in 15 seconds. Mainly, I use ak sys just to save and transfer files. Also I have less wear tear on the front usb port. This can also be avoid by using a switch or passive usb hub.
By cleansocks Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:15 am
QUICK QUESTION IF ANYONE IS UP HOW TF DO I REMOVE MY HARD DRIVE FROM MY MPC I ONLY SEE 4 GOLD SCREWS BUT THEY ARENT ATTACHED TO THE HARD DRIVE THEY ARE ATTACHED TO THE BRACKET I JUST NEED TO REMOVE THE HARD DRIVE> I TRIED REMOVING THE GOLD SCREWS BUT THEY ARE ATTACHED TO SCREWS FROM THE BOTTOM SO UNLESS I CAN HOLD THE LID AND THE BOTTOM UP AT THE SAME TIME IT IS IMPOSSIBLE BUT I TRIED ANYWAY AND THE LID HIT MY HEAD ANYWAYS HOW DO I REMOVE THIS SHIT ASS HARD DRIVE
By cleansocks Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:11 am
dryad-66 wrote:I prop the top case up with the plastic end from the side of the MPC.Unscrew the four gold screws lever the whole thing up and unplug the cables,you can then unscrew the hard drive.Careful of the screen lead and don’t hit your head again.

YEAH this was by far the hardest part of the whole thing. The screws wouldnt come out with the same pressure i was applying and with the same tools I literally by chance had the correct tool, it was a philips head but it was bigger and denser than one of those mix and match tip screw drivers. Either way, I had to apply a ton of force and use some special shit idk maybe yall can use a magnetic. Or maybe you didnt have that problem like me it sounds rather straightforward to you, I swear I was missing some hidden screw or something for hours on account of how fkin hard it was to just remove those 4 pesky ass screws. It really was just a denser, better fitting head and a shit ton of force.

Anyway after that it was smooth sailing. The already formatted SSD I used with fat32 free format utility worked the second I turned the MPC on, after I plugged the startech chip into my drive and the MPC ATA cables.

My drive label and all 111 delicious gigabytes popped up. Unrelated but it was a little bonus, a while back I tried to seat a ram replacement and it wooudlnt work swear I thought my motherboard was stuck or my ram chip was faulty. Come to find out I just needed to push harder. Swapped slots and put the new ram with the old one and pushed harder so the silver pins would come up and i would hear a click (two things i was missing before). Turned it on and all 512 mb came on the Global page i was so fkin happy lol :worthy: I thought my board or my parts were cursed from my previous attempts.

All in all, ran into some obstacles but a little perservance and I came out with a much cooler mpc... at least in my eyes. The no moving parts (at least for storage) is already hype enough for me... as i am a very lazy person and don't like doing maintenance. Airblasting my computer hard drives is bad enough and those are easy as hell to unscrew and put together. Having to deal with the innards of an MPC is something I aim to avoid so I really made sure to seat my RAM properly, double triple check while I was putting the screws back together. A

ll in all, I'm pretty happy and only wish there were less expensive ways to significantly expand on the MPC, besides adding something like LED strips or stickers or anything not affecting the technical capabilities of the MPC. something like a WIFI chip or running a mini Linux / windows thing would be cool. Maybe an OS, idk.

Anyways, here's an accompanying video i made

By saltmcgault Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:40 pm
cleansocks wrote:no... come to think of it that would have been much smarter to do :Sigh: ... time to go the long route and load em with USB.

It's good to see that you got it installed.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 pm
cleansocks wrote:no... come to think of it that would have been much smarter to do :Sigh: ... time to go the long route and load em with USB.

It's easier to use Ak Sys or open up the mpc, remove the drive, connect it to your computer, then drag the samples to the drive that you intend on leaving on the drive. You can't copy files from the usb, to the ssd. You'll have to load the samples into the MPC memory, then save the samples from Memory to the SSD.

If you have over 1+ gig worth of sounds, take out the drive and transfer it. Because 400 mb will take 16+ minutes just to load into the MPC 4000 memory. Also the MPC only holds 512 MB so that's a good 2 hours of work. :nod: