Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By NearTao Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 am
Since it shows up as IB-48P... it won't be able to do the in... I guess it could've been an IB-4ADT instead with analogue outs, but that might be trickier to emulate. There's a similar IB-48P unofficial board that I've been considering picking up off of eBay... but this does seem a tiny bit more interesting.

The unofficial board on eBay clearly has much fewer caps, and claims to have less sonic color... not sure if that is a good thing or not... but I never found the main outs on the z8 to be particular colored in the first place.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:19 am
NearTao wrote:Since it shows up as IB-48P... it won't be able to do the in... I guess it could've been an IB-4ADT instead with analogue outs, but that might be trickier to emulate. There's a similar IB-48P unofficial board that I've been considering picking up off of eBay... but this does seem a tiny bit more interesting.

The unofficial board on eBay clearly has much fewer caps, and claims to have less sonic color... not sure if that is a good thing or not... but I never found the main outs on the z8 to be particular colored in the first place.

Same here, the z8/z4/4000 were always pretty clean without the harsh highs.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:09 am
Sense-A wrote:I prefer the analog 8 out expansion. I can track out to some compressors/FX before routing to my audio interface.

Nice thing about the MPC-X is you get 8 outputs by default.

That works. Also on the MPC 4000 with the 8 out cards you'll have 10 outs. But with the MPC X, it's much easier to render stems clean and apply compression during the mixing.