Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 am
Hi,

Ever since I got this machine there's been a lot of struggle but it's been well worth it's a great sounding machine but after months of owning this i'm still having trouble with one of the most essential parts of the 4000: sequences.

whatever I do I can't get them to sound correctly... I can get it to loop correctly in any other way if i just hold it down in the sample menu and let it play it sounds exactly like i want it to... but if i play record or convert to sequence there is an awkward break between the sequences that really cuts the flow of the loop.

If I Play - Record , it will loop but it sounds broken and not smooth

If I Convert to Sequence , - 0 end margin, it won't sound broken at the end you can make it tight but no matter what It will not loop... I have tried giving it ample room between the sequence loop so the sounds don't overlap (I know there's a polyphony limit of 127 notes?? i'm not reaching close to that lol) but no matter what if I use the convert to sequence method, it WILL NOT loop it just mutes itself after playing half a second on the next loop.

It's really bothering me to the point I made several posts about it before and I thought I got close but no I still haven't gotten down what needs to be done to make my sequences not sound like hot trash.

I am hoping this detailed video explaining my problem makes more sense than my rambling and maybe someone can help me????

By cleansocks Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:59 am
In the months I have owned this machine, this problem with sequences is the only one I have repeatedly gotten and not been able to solve. Hard drive dead? no problem, Ram Stick / board might be broken? not problem. Turntable crackling and distorted? No problem? Even what I thought was impossible with the help of the community I was able to route back and forth between my SP and my MPC which is amazing!!!

but... after all this time I still don't know how tf to mechanically navigate how the 4000 constructs sequences... I just want to stop being muted man. Lol
By cleansocks Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:17 am
nand before you tell me yes I have seen Ian Canefire's sequencer tutorial as well as Rick and some other randons with MPCS on youtube Do not think I didn't do my research with my thumb up my ass I wrote some of their stuff down in a journal but the fact of the matter ius I have had this machine 6 months I've tinkered with it nearly every day and I can get a lot of cool little bits out of it to record externally... but I DON't WANT THAT. I want to compose, to craft everything on this machine that was the whole point and this sequencer thing is a direct block in that goal. I am starting to run out of options short of paying sample kingz dude 40 bucks but I've heard everyone say its not worth it theres nothing in it worth watching that you cant read or get online well i looked and rewatched the youtubers I've purple'd all my links on google I am starting to run out of options So this is me at my most desperate i guess i have made posts here before but , like I said.. this is the only problem I've had that has been there from the start. Which worries me because it makes me think maybe it really is a defective motherboard or something gone wrong in the system, but I've been retarded every time I thought it was a truly impassable hurdle. So I'm hoping I can prove myself to be foolish once again otherwise I gotta pawn this cuz why else woudlnt the sequences work???>?? I mean, I think everyone's MPC got some weird quirks. Mine acts weird on the loading saving page like, when moving folders, if you go too fast the other folders go white and disappear and the only way to make them reappear is toe exit the menu and enter again, and mine's also very slow making a folder. But that's it, nothing gamebreaking music wise, BESIDES THIS ONE ISSUE . Please tell me there ssome hidden option or something I am missing out on this machine to make it sync correctly...

I'll put it like this: the most **** up part about this whole thing is that I can hear what i want on the machine, It's there. I hold the loop button in sample menu and boom there is the loop I wanted to make into a sequence and tinker with, add a drumline here a abass here etc... Why am I being forced to go to the PC when this machine is supposedly wielding a godlike sequencer? I'll be upfront, sonically I have been more than satisfied with the MPC 4000 but all the supposed "sequencing capabilities" i have yet to see. As far as I know they are non existent because I can't even get mine in sync. someone please help me . I have never been more desperate
By Lampdog Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 am
Sample start is chopped late. Sample start is somewhere many sample ticks after where a decent chop should be. This makes the sample end happen sooner than the actual sequencer end.

Ensure half second before loop start and half second after loop ends are intact.
You can set the sample start/stop non-destructively where you want it later.

Slow down/Speed up sequencer bpm to close the gap at the end.

Loops “sound” easy when your not tied to strict sequencer timing.
Retriggering a flowers up chopped sample is what the problem is.

Your not too far away from getting it right though.

This is also one of the reasons why for years you’ve heard “chop small”.

https://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php
By cleansocks Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:31 am
Lampdog wrote:Sample start is chopped late. Sample start is somewhere many sample ticks after where a decent chop should be. This makes the sample end happen sooner than the actual sequencer end.

Ensure half second before loop start and half second after loop ends are intact.
You can set the sample start/stop non-destructively where you want it later.

Slow down/Speed up sequencer bpm to close the gap at the end.

Loops “sound” easy when your not tied to strict sequencer timing.
Retriggering a flowers up chopped sample is what the problem is.

Your not too far away from getting it right though.

This is also one of the reasons why for years you’ve heard “chop small”.

https://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php

I've been swamped with coursework but I'll do this and update soon . Fingers crossed this does the trick.

Side note: super cool u brought an MPC to iraq... who else does that? 8)
By Lampdog Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:36 pm
cleansocks wrote:Side note: super cool u brought an MPC to iraq... who else does that? 8)

I connected audio to a cheap boombox (I forget where it came from out there, also had headphones), brought back pics cause some friends didn:t believe me, lol.

But yeah, let us know what you find out with the advice given, and if problems still persist, we can figure something else out.
By dabmeister Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm
This is just me...I'd correct the loop externally using a daw or good two track editor first, then import back into the MPC. The main factor for my decision is I can see and pin point what I'm editing better visually (along with hearing it) than I can on the MPC.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:19 pm
Sound Forge, Cool Edit Pro, Adobe Audition has never let me down.

- Peter Quistgard, hero/enemy, you choose.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:52 pm
dabmeister wrote:This is just me...I'd correct the loop externally using a daw or good two track editor first, then import back into the MPC. The main factor for my decision is I can see and pin point what I'm editing better visually (along with hearing it) than I can on the MPC.

It is much easier but he's going through growing pains. Chop the front, Chop the end, Learn to match the tempo by ear. Those DJ skill do pay off. :lol:
By cleansocks Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 am

I'm at a loss... the main reason I bought this was to do the sequencing all onboard and not have to route my sounds out. Doing drum kicks and little sounds like that is annoying as hell on the PC and I'd rather not go back to making music like that ... The MPC is for me everything I about it I love its just i cant get this god damn **** piece of **** shit sequencer to fulfill it's only **** purpose and loop and let me edit bars and sound placement easy. Right now it's in little columns, with more or less depending on the bars and time signature right?

No matter how much I narrow this down so there is adequate room, if i put the little sound event ahead , it loops back into the next sequence. If it start it at the beginning, that is fine but that is what I was doing at first when I was tinkering with the sequencer and I tried all your suggestions feel free to let me know what I missed please make me look like a **** idiot I just want this to work ONBOARD. If i route it out to the daw I might as well have just gotten a Renaissance and used the emulators. I was thinking of final , sprinkles to add in the computer of course. But clearly i was thinking too far ahead because that is in a timeline where this sequencer does its job and works. I know you don't need a crazy screen or visual aid how do all those guys on youtube just get their shit looping clean off a record immediately on an mpc 2k? I know they aren't the same but if anything the 4k should be able to do everything the 2k does and more...

I know there's not too many 4000 beat making videos (there are several but a lot from same people) but in the 2000 ones from record a lot of them already can get it to loop and just tinker with time assist and bars for messing around with the sequence they have. I can't even get the **** sequence in the first place.
By Lampdog Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Why does the start of the sample sound like a part of the start is cut off?

Like if the sample was my sentence above, it would start at “y does the start.......”
That is a problem.

Also, in step edit check the duration of the sample.
Looping in trim/lp is cool and all, looping using the sequencer is a diff ballgame because you are tied to the sequencer. Retriggering requires better methods and more precision with chopping, sample tick placement.

It double plays because the sample needs to be mono so it cuts itself off when retriggered. Meaning only instance of itself is playable and/or step edit where you can dial in the duration you want the sample to play out.

Would you care to send me that project and I can attempt to help straighten it out?
If not then aiight.