Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ianbryn11 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm
Hey, I’m in the process of installing a new hd in my mpc 4000. Was wondering how all of you create organization within your internal HD. Like folders, sub folders. Ect.

the spectrum of sound possibilities is enormous because you can sample basically anything, so just looking for some feedback because once you set it up, it is a pain to change.

I was thinking :
Folders for : unfinished beats, finished beats, samples, instruments, drums

Then sub folders in those folders for more specific groups, ect..

Anything fun that you all have found helpful ull in keeping your mpc 4000 organized I’d be grateful to hear.
By cleansocks Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 pm
I like to keep mine simple.

I have an Autoload folder for custom settings I like to have on startup.
A Projects folder and subfolders containing the memory and multi,samps,etc. for that project.
A Sounds folder with sub folders for loops, drums, snares, a specific soundpack, etc.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 pm
All sounds sets in their own folder on USB Flash Drive.

All music saved on another Drive, each compositions saved in their own folder by date and letter. Inside each folder are all the project files + Stereo 2 track + Stems + DAW Project (Subfolder).

This is what I saved today.

09162020a
09162020b
09162020c
09162020d
09162020e
09162020f
09162020g
By 40Beatz Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:10 pm
I have my Folder Hierarchy Like this....

Sept 2020/HotBeat 9-16/ Save Entire Memory....
Sept 2020/NextBeat 9-17/ Save Entire Memory....

Oct 2020/xxxxBeat 10-1/ Save Entire Memory....
By CharlesRandolph Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:08 pm
40Beatz wrote:I have my Folder Hierarchy Like this....

So when you submit music, how do you keep track of the music that was sent out?
When recording, what do you name the project folder and project file?
By wavejockey Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 pm
AUTOLOAD with everything in my template (+3000 samples/programs etc)

for sounds, i distinguish between sounds & loops, then subfolders for synths, guitars/bass, symfonics, voices, drums // every category has multiple subfolders like BD/SD/Hats/Perc

i also have folders for drums+music and distinguish there between drums with BD & without (etc etc)

sample CD's go in the(ir respective) sample CD folder
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:03 pm
wavejockey wrote:AUTOLOAD with everything in my template (+3000 samples/programs etc)

for sounds, i distinguish between sounds & loops, then subfolders for synths, guitars/bass, symfonics, voices, drums // every category has multiple subfolders like BD/SD/Hats/Perc

i also have folders for drums+music and distinguish there between drums with BD & without (etc etc)

sample CD's go in the(ir respective) sample CD folder

How long does it take to Autoload that folder?
By 40Beatz Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
40Beatz wrote:I have my Folder Hierarchy Like this....

So when you submit music, how do you keep track of the music that was sent out?
When recording, what do you name the project folder and project file?

One way is by File Name. If i use a Sample, I usually have the Sample source in the File Name. When i get responses and inquiries for certain material, On the 4000, i'll track everything out into any Daw then break it down into their proper stems. On the Live/X....it's a lil Easier to Package up everything
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:19 pm
40Beatz wrote:One way is by File Name. If i use a Sample, I usually have the Sample source in the File Name. When i get responses and inquiries for certain material, On the 4000, i'll track everything out into any Daw then break it down into their proper stems. On the Live/X....it's a lil Easier to Package up everything

That's not bad. :nod: The way I organize doesn't matter what machine it's made on. It follows the same internal number. On the log sheets, next to each file name, it's noted which machine was used.

Example of my Log Sheet.

09182020a ----- MPC 4000 ---- Alternative Name ---- Recorded (Y/N) ---- Key ---- Tempo ---- Genre ---- Producer
By Cases Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:46 am
Damn, I need to step up my file management game. I usually load all kits on autoload and from there on I carve shit out.

I always have folders like this:
2damntiredtofinish_2
2damntiredtofinish_3
2damntired
3musketeers_sample_HPF_6khz