Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:32 am
please help as I spent so much time on wat would be my first decent sounding piece of work that wasn't just a simple little beat.. and I had it all laid out all the sounds everything was great. Until I converted it into a song from song mode where you input in all your sequences in order with the repeats, etc.

Well, in one of my sequences there is a distinct little jingle at the end and that is not picked up by the MPC when converting to song. I know it is hard to pick up but sequence 4 and 5 are very similar, with only the Jingle at the end separating them.

You can see what i mean in the youtube video

forgive my ums and uhs im very tired. please help
By cleansocks Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:05 pm
NearTao wrote:From sequence to sequence, make sure the program is not changing on any of the tracks.

i.e. track 1 is always kick program, track two is always piano program, etc...

Wat happens if 2 sequences use the same track / part tho... do i separate each sequence with wtheir own part and their own track?
By Lampdog Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:19 pm
I swear man, Clean N Ant are pseudo brothers, yall ask many of the same questions :lol: :lol:

Do the question/experiment you just asked about. It costs you nothing.
Not only does experimenting answer questions (some even before you ask), it also gets your mindset in tune with your gear a d what it is capable of.

I have an answer, keeping it to myself cause I found out by experimenting, you can too, for the low low price of $free.99
By cleansocks Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 am
Lampdog wrote:I swear man, Clean N Ant are pseudo brothers, yall ask many of the same questions :lol: :lol:

Do the question/experiment you just asked about. It costs you nothing.
Not only does experimenting answer questions (some even before you ask), it also gets your mindset in tune with your gear a d what it is capable of.

I have an answer, keeping it to myself cause I found out by experimenting, you can too, for the low low price of $free.99

SORRY FOR NOT REPLYING SO LONG SCHOOL TORE ME A NEW BOOTYHOLE WITH MY MIDTERMS STUDIED SO HARD N I PROBABLY BOMBED HALF OF EM BUT WHATEVER JUST LETTING U KNOW I AM NOT INGNORING AND AM GETTING ON THIS VERY SOON THOUGH IF I FOLLOW THE STEPS TO EXPERIMENT I OUTLINED AND IT DOES NOT WORK I MIGHT JUST BEG FOR THE ANSWER CUZ I AM ON THE CUSP OF GETTING MYSELF RIGHT WITH THIS MACHINE

AS A SIDE NOTE I ALSO HAVE A SEPARATE QUESTION : DOES SMPTE ON THE 8 OUTS CARRY AUDIO? MEANING IF I TRANSFER SMPTE TO AN EXTERNAL SOUND CARD THAT HAS SMPTE, THEN CONNECT THAT TO MY USB IN MY COMPUTER, WILL IT SEND MPC SOUNDS? OR DOES IT WORK LIKE MIDI AND ONLY SEND SIGNALS? THANKS
By cleansocks Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am
Lampdog wrote:
cleansocks wrote:DOES SMPTE ON THE 8 OUTS CARRY AUDIO?

The answer is yes, but what makes SMPTE Audio ported to ur PC different than the 1/2 or 3/4 out ported to ur PC? I see that a lot of community members like it, does it make it sound better / work easier in FL or ableton? The technical stuff I see is that there is some sort of time code implemented for accuracy, but I'm not sure how that's reflected in terms of anything tangible. What benefit exactly is there in terms of sending audio to your PC? Cuzi know you can do that with the 8 outs but I've searched and i still dont see the benefit of SMPTE over 8 outs.
By NearTao Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:46 am
SMPTE was created as a way to sync audio to another source... primarily video. I am going to grossly over simplify this but here goes...

Back in the day none of this stuff played at a consistent speed because it was frequently mechanical driven... tape, film... all that fun stuff. So the time code tells the devices if they are in time or not... where the primary signal is used to clock the other devices to force them to speed up or slow down. This ensures for example that music comes in at the right cue or that when someone speaks the audio and video line up properly. Other applications include sync’ing your drum machine to a sampler or synthesizer...

Personally I do not think it is exactly a case if you want or need it... rather what you are trying to do that may constitute the relevance of SMPTE to your work.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm
The answer is yes
:Sigh:

The technical stuff I see is that there is some sort of time code implemented for accuracy
SMPTE is a timing/accuracy “signal”.

the benefit of SMPTE over 8 outs.
8 outs don’t carry an SMPTE signal.
SMPTE doesn’t carry audio.

If you continue to think so then unplug all audio cables and use only SMPTE and attempt to get audio from it. Lemme know how it goes.
By cleansocks Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 pm
Lampdog wrote:The answer is yes
:Sigh:

The technical stuff I see is that there is some sort of time code implemented for accuracy
SMPTE is a timing/accuracy “signal”.

the benefit of SMPTE over 8 outs.
8 outs don’t carry an SMPTE signal.
SMPTE doesn’t carry audio.

If you continue to think so then unplug all audio cables and use only SMPTE and attempt to get audio from it. Lemme know how it goes.

LOL, so SMPTE does not carry any audio so IT is more comparable to MIDI ? I thought SMPTE was like just regular 8 out with the special signal that makes ur timing better or something, but if that's not the case then I really don't see the use for it. I'll find some other way to track audio to my PC