Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:01 am
hi,

this question i cannot experiment with as everything cost money so I need to ask before i purchase in the future: how can i track something i completely made in the MPC to the PC for adding effects and stuff

I 'm pretty sure I can't just convert the song to wav and send it to cubase or wavelab cuz it's just one file and no separate elements , please correct me if wrong. That leaves me with 8 ouch option or MIDI .

Stay with me here, if I use 8 out with mixer to pc interface will it record each input separately if I send the drums to 1/2 , loop to 3/4 , effect 5/6 other shit 7/8 . Can i Export each individual sound to DAW for mastering . or does it not work like that

The thing that scares me is needing to USE MIDI. I see the appeal using it as a controller, but Imagine you just made something in the MPC, with sounds from your USB / local files or whatever. You did it. You just need to send the finished product to ur PC . Well as far as my understanding is, it will send the DATA and time information, stuff like that to my DAW , but not actually the sound. Okay, like i said that is cool for a controller maybe and you have your sounds on your PC, but I just spent all that time making that song with those sounds on the MPC, and now you're telling me I have to re add the same sounds to DAW for it to work?

I have a whole library of random sounds it will take me forever to find the exact sound to add to Cubase / Wavelab . Thats fine if that is the only way I guess, but I'm wondering if theres something I'm missing about my understanding of MIDI that will make it easier to route my finished product to the PC. Again, I know i cant directly send the sounds using MIDI but if i send the data and find the exact sound to link with cubase will it work? Will it be easier to route with 8 outs?

Please help. I need 2 master as it gets staticy time to time on some stuff and its just easier to touch up little kinks on the PC
By bees80 Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:06 am
cleansocks wrote:hi,

this question i cannot experiment with as everything cost money so I need to ask before i purchase in the future: how can i track something i completely made in the MPC to the PC for adding effects and stuff

I 'm pretty sure I can't just convert the song to wav and send it to cubase or wavelab cuz it's just one file and no separate elements , please correct me if wrong. That leaves me with 8 ouch option or MIDI .

Stay with me here, if I use 8 out with mixer to pc interface will it record each input separately if I send the drums to 1/2 , loop to 3/4 , effect 5/6 other **** 7/8 . Can i Export each individual sound to DAW for mastering . or does it not work like that

The thing that scares me is needing to USE MIDI. I see the appeal using it as a controller, but Imagine you just made something in the MPC, with sounds from your USB / local files or whatever. You did it. You just need to send the finished product to ur PC . Well as far as my understanding is, it will send the DATA and time information, stuff like that to my DAW , but not actually the sound. Okay, like i said that is cool for a controller maybe and you have your sounds on your PC, but I just spent all that time making that song with those sounds on the MPC, and now you're telling me I have to re add the same sounds to DAW for it to work?

I have a whole library of random sounds it will take me forever to find the exact sound to add to Cubase / Wavelab . Thats fine if that is the only way I guess, but I'm wondering if theres something I'm missing about my understanding of MIDI that will make it easier to route my finished product to the PC. Again, I know i cant directly send the sounds using MIDI but if i send the data and find the exact sound to link with cubase will it work? Will it be easier to route with 8 outs?

Please help. I need 2 master as it gets staticy time to time on some stuff and its just easier to touch up little kinks on the PC

First, midi is not audio, it sends data. You can use it so sync your daw with the mpc, so when you record seperate tracks, everything will be in sync.

Below a step by step tutorial...

1. Get an audio interface with at least 8 mono inputs.
1a. Added benefit would be that the audio interface has midi, so you can sync your daw with your mpc. Otherwise get a seperate midi usb interface
2. Set the daw as a master to sync to the MPC (connect audio interface midi out to mpc midi in)
3. Set the mpc as a slave to sync to your daw
4. Set up the right incoming channels in your daw
5. Press play + rec in daw, now the selected recording channels you assigned will record. Also make sure you assigned the right output channels in the mpc.
By cleansocks Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:55 am
bees80 wrote:
cleansocks wrote:hi,

Stay with me here, if I use 8 out with mixer to pc interface will it record each input separately if I send the drums to 1/2 , loop to 3/4 , effect 5/6 other **** 7/8 . Can i Export each individual sound to DAW for mastering . or does it not work like that

First, midi is not audio, it sends data. You can use it so sync your daw with the mpc, so when you record seperate tracks, everything will be in sync.

Below a step by step tutorial...

1. Get an audio interface with at least 8 mono inputs.
1a. Added benefit would be that the audio interface has midi, so you can sync your daw with your mpc. Otherwise get a seperate midi usb interface
2. Set the daw as a master to sync to the MPC (connect audio interface midi out to mpc midi in)
3. Set the mpc as a slave to sync to your daw
4. Set up the right incoming channels in your daw
5. Press play + rec in daw, now the selected recording channels you assigned will record. Also make sure you assigned the right output channels in the mpc.

U lost me at Slave. What is that? meaning DAW is the one that controlls the play button / record / master for other attached devices?

Besides that, I think i got it but let me state it so U can see if i understand correctly or no: I get AUDIO INTERFACE with 8 INPUT 1/4 and 2 MIDI. Then I patch AUDIO INTERFACE MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN. But won't that make it so any MIDI DATA is synced from PC To MPC but not vice versa? Are u sure I do not do MPC MIDI OUT to Audio interface MIDI IN?
By bees80 Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:51 pm
Indeed it means that the DAW is the one that controls and sends the BPM to other devices. Those other devices are called Slaves.

I highly reccomend searching a bit more online about terms and syncing up your mpc. There are literally a TON of youtube video's about this.
By cleansocks Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am
I looked at some videos and yeah I concluded MIDI was not wat I was looking for. I am trying to record individual AUDIO parts out at the same time to a daw to polish and the only way to do that is with an expensive multi track. Imma just make beats for now and save up for tracking equipment before i think ab putting anything out because sometimes It sounds a lil crusty finishing a beat and exporting it WAV and listening to it straight from the MPC. and adding little changes is much easier that way
By bees80 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:14 pm
cleansocks wrote:I looked at some videos and yeah I concluded MIDI was not wat I was looking for. I am trying to record individual AUDIO parts out at the same time to a daw to polish and the only way to do that is with an expensive multi track. Imma just make beats for now and save up for tracking equipment before i think ab putting anything out because sometimes It sounds a lil crusty finishing a beat and exporting it WAV and listening to it straight from the MPC. and adding little changes is much easier that way

I think you still do not fully understand what i meant.. you use midi so it's in sync on your daw timeline. Has nothing to do with audio recording.
By cleansocks Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:26 pm
bees80 wrote:
cleansocks wrote:I looked at some videos and yeah I concluded MIDI was not wat I was looking for. I am trying to record individual AUDIO parts out at the same time to a daw to polish and the only way to do that is with an expensive multi track. Imma just make beats for now and save up for tracking equipment before i think ab putting anything out because sometimes It sounds a lil crusty finishing a beat and exporting it WAV and listening to it straight from the MPC. and adding little changes is much easier that way

I think you still do not fully understand what i meant.. you use midi so it's in sync on your daw timeline. Has nothing to do with audio recording.

I understand that, I'm saying I figured that out like U told me you said to watch videos so I Did and concluded MIDI was not what I was looking for