Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By EarthOne Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:43 am
Hi there,

So my MPC 4000 only has ADAT with no 8 analogue outs.

I’m a complete noob to ADAT so I’m wondering what equipment do I need to track out into my PC?

I was looking at the Allen & Heath Zed R16 which is a mixer with Adat inputs.. is it pointless to go into a mixer if I’m using digital signal, or am I better off just going straight into the PC?

Thanks any help would be much appreciated :)
By Cockdiesel Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:33 am
Just get a sound card with
Adat and word clock you could be fine. Might not even need the word clock. Smarter people might comment but the key is to find something that can handle multi tracks on adat and convert it to the computer.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:50 pm
Depends on your budget but if you just want to connect the 4000 adat to your computer. Try the USBStreamer B for 105 dollars US. However if you want more inputs for the future, go with the RME Digiface USB $499.00.

Do you already have an audio interface connected to your computer?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html
By richie Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:00 am
Another idea - If you're tight on a budget, you can always do multiple passes.

The thing about the 4000 clock is that you're guaranteed to have the same tight / accurate pass each time, so muting tracks and dumping to the DAW won't require any sort of warping or odd issues lining things up.

Also, someone has been manufacturing new multi out boards: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akai-MPC4000-ADAT-Analog-8x-out-IB-48P-compatible-output-card-Z8-Z4-sampler/174422948353

But in the same token, are charging the same price as VST is doing for the OG board on ebay. I do however wonder how the new multi out boards sound in comparison to the OG due to a different approach being taken.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:12 am
I have one those adat/8 out boards and they sound the same. The only issues is there isn't an adat in. Making multi pass are good for short parts, however when tracking a full song that's 10+ tracks and is 4 minutes long just takes an insane amount of time.
By EarthOne Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:46 am
Thanks for your answers!

I’m not quite ready to set up recording out with the adat but I think I’ll go with that cheaper option when I do so, unless I decide I need a new sound card then I’ll go with the focusrite 18i8? I think it’s called.

Or possibly I’ll go with the Allen & Heath zed r16 which seems like a fairly decent price considering it’s a mixer/sound card, and has adat input, so all birds with one stone xD.
Plus I like the idea of a mixing outboard before going into the PC.

So we’ll see how I decide to proceed when the time comes, but thanks again
By CharlesRandolph Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 am
EarthOne wrote:Thanks for your answers!

I’m not quite ready to set up recording out with the adat but I think I’ll go with that cheaper option when I do so, unless I decide I need a new sound card then I’ll go with the focusrite 18i8? I think it’s called.

Or possibly I’ll go with the Allen & Heath zed r16 which seems like a fairly decent price considering it’s a mixer/sound card, and has adat input, so all birds with one stone xD.
Plus I like the idea of a mixing outboard before going into the PC.

So we’ll see how I decide to proceed when the time comes, but thanks again

Good luck and I hope it works out. :nod:
By Dillionaire_ Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:41 am
Got a behringer Ada8200 today to use today for all my synths, 8 analogue channels with pre amps, digital in and out. Paired with a cheap interface that has digital in and out you can multi out as many channels as you like to a Daw. A 8 channel focusrite is a good option if you want 16 channels of IO.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:31 am
Behringer ADA8200 works very well. The only thing it's really missing is the ability to send audio over USB. That way it could be used as audio interface.
By Dillionaire_ Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:21 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Behringer ADA8200 works very well. The only thing it's really missing is the ability to send audio over USB. That way it could be used as audio interface.

Behringer Umc1820 looks to be a solid solution to link up digitally to Ada8200 compared to focusrite alternatives, my local shop says focusrite has better preamps and quality but in comparison going with the focusrite setup possibly $1200 used and with behringer $700 used
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:17 pm
Dillionaire_ wrote:Behringer Umc1820 looks to be a solid solution to link up digitally to Ada8200 compared to focusrite alternatives, my local shop says focusrite has better preamps and quality but in comparison going with the focusrite setup possibly $1200 used and with behringer $700 used

The AdA8200 is great for a pass through solutions. Lots of people sleep on the Ada8200 because it's by Behringer but I've never had any issues with it while connected to my MPC 2000XL. However, from my MPC 4000's I go into the RME Digiface. Since RME writes their own drivers, I never had to worry about OS updates. RME support is fantastic.
By Methlab Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Dillionaire_ wrote:Behringer Umc1820 looks to be a solid solution to link up digitally to Ada8200 compared to focusrite alternatives, my local shop says focusrite has better preamps and quality but in comparison going with the focusrite setup possibly $1200 used and with behringer $700 used

The AdA8200 is great for a pass through solutions. Lots of people sleep on the Ada8200 because it's by Behringer but I've never had any issues with it while connected to my MPC 2000XL. However, from my MPC 4000's I go into the RME Digiface. Since RME writes their own drivers, I never had to worry about OS updates. RME support is fantastic.

With the ADAT option, you have to make the 4000 the master clock, correct? That’s the only issue I have with that option, or else it would be awesome. I clock everything to my RME fireface and to have to go behind the desk and switch it just to track the MPC when I want seems like a hassle.
By wavejockey Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 pm
i've never clocked my MPC4k to the ADAT clock supplied by RME audio interface

MPC is master MTC though