Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:38 am
Hi,

I went down a rabbit hole of audio questions after getting a new mixer and I learned that some guys leave their mixers powered on and their other analog equipment powered on for years, sometimes a decade more. I was wondering, because the MPC 4000 is so old, would it benefit from being on more to save itself from the constraints of power cycling? Sure its not even a point of discussion with modern power supplies and units, but for these older units (mpc 60, 3000, 4000, 2000, 2000xl) could they benefit more from being powered on long periods of time if they are going to see near daily use?
By NearTao Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:38 am
The wear I would be worried about is mechanical for the drive and internal fans... and the display backlight.

Honestly... the drive failure is likely the worst and hardest to replace only because of loss of data... so make sure you have good backups. The fan is honestly trivial to replace, but if it fails can lead to heat buildup in the device that can kill other components. As for the display, well the longer it is on, the dimmer your backlight will get and need to be replaced.

Personally... I would only leave it on as you intend to use it. Just my two cents though.