Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By cleansocks Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:55 am
Ever since I got this thing I knew it's been looping my melodies back strangely on the pads because when I play it always sounds cut off or bad.. I usually learned to work around it but It got really bad tonight I could not get anything done on this project im working on cause this machine would keep cutting out the pads and playing them all at once at the end and it just pissed me off and right then and there I almost contemplated selling my machine and buying an MPC one ... then I decided to turn off TIME CORRECT

:mrgreen: wow :mrgreen: My MPC is a million times more accurate. It sounds so smooth and crisp and accurate. Everything before sounds like a pile of shit in comparison, I will only be using timing correct for my drums from now on... **** everything else about it
By Lampdog Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:46 pm
Didn’t we suggest you try turning off tc before?

I usually let sequence run the loop (retrigger) and not “loop” manually (holding a pad to loop and then fit that in a seq).
By cleansocks Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:Didn’t we suggest you try turning off tc before?

I usually let sequence run the loop (retrigger) and not “loop” manually (holding a pad to loop and then fit that in a seq).

I don't know.. I think someone mentioned toying with it but I mostly switched it to different times to make my drums and snares sound different but I didn't realize turning it off would make recording loops to a sequence easier.

" I usually let sequence run the loop (retrigger) and not “loop” manually (holding a pad to loop and then fit that in a seq) "

I'm not sure what you mean. I've been finding a sample with a good loop, trimming it and assigning to a pad, then holding it down and tinkering with the timing and stuff to fit it into a sequence. Are you saying there's a better way ? I'm not sure what letting the sequence run the loop or re-triggering means.. like a one shot?
By Lampdog Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:33 pm
Yep, one shot. No need to hold down anything or loop anything.
Just bang the pad when you need it to play again.

After that trim the end and/or slightly pitch/tune so when it retriggers in the sequence it plays smooth.

We went through this before when I helped you with that one loop but I think you had figure it out or something right before I got back to you or was it someone else who gave a clue how to fix it??
By cleansocks Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:43 am
Lampdog wrote:Yep, one shot. No need to hold down anything or loop anything.
Just bang the pad when you need it to play again.

After that trim the end and/or slightly pitch/tune so when it retriggers in the sequence it plays smooth.

We went through this before when I helped you with that one loop but I think you had figure it out or something right before I got back to you or was it someone else who gave a clue how to fix it??

I think I remember..I had a loop that kept cutting out when converting to song and another one before that where I uploaded the file to google drive... They were both part of the same issue tho Idk Who detailed it out for me but essentially I was using The same parts for different programs on different tracks, which i guess in playback I didn't notice but during conversion It was audibly missing a part which I uploaded a video on since i was using the same part on different tracks but If I tried to change the part to the correct one , a different part of the song would sound off because the sounds I wanted together on one pad were separated into different programs,, Anyway, learning the outline of Tracks / Parts/ and Programs and especially keeping Separate parts for separate tracks and separate programs and how they fit was really the solution. That and taking a break from the forum and spending time reading the manual.

This was different because I used to get a whole loop on one pad and hold it down so i wouldnt run into the TC issue. However, because I decided to Sample from Vinyl and Trim to 16 regions and record a pattern that way, the TC issue would show up since I'm pressing multiple pads... I didn't think it was TC at first because I always used it when I had a whole loop on one pad so I figured that wasn't the issue but I just now learned it doesn't really apply to that because I'm only hitting one pad and letting it play, vs. Multiple pads and multiple data points being sent to the sequencer.. so when I played down my pads and noticed my pad data being recorded but not being played I knew something was off.. cause it was reading the data but not playing it. It was just Timing Correct :Sigh:

Anyways, Imma take that retrigger trip and the tune tip. I've just been re-recording or messing with the BPM to fit it into the sequence timing but I haven't messed with tuning / pitch minus the mixer and the Q-Link.