Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By powmax Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:34 am
Hello from Germany,

maybe some of you might enlight me on this strange behavior of my MPC 4K:

44.1/48 kHz all good

At 96 kHz the 8 Outputs (Main Output = OK) are dead/or distroted (crackles/blips) only when the SPDIF is installed, no ADAT I/O installed.

As soon as I take out the IB4D Interface - everything is fine.
Apart from that, my IB4D works as it should - no issues.

BTW: I testet with two MPC 4k (white / blue) - same behavior (only swaped the IB4D).

I assume this is a design error (ADAT board related?) or my IB4D Digital Interface might be defective

Thank you in advance - Your help is very much appreciated
Marcus
By dabmeister Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:33 pm
I think the reason for the word clock connection on the IB4D is to stabilize the converters when using the high sampling rate. In order to achieve this, you'll need a master source such as a clock gen or another device that sends word clock at 96k. Keep in mind the 4k was on the brink of utilizing high sampling rates back in the early 2000's. Most devices back then relied on some sort of master clock device to keep sampling conversions stable. This is one of the reasons I invested in a master clock gen back then.
By powmax Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 pm
Well, no matter if a WordClock Signal is present or not - no output from the individual 8 analog outs.

i testet recently with another IB4D card - same issue. So i belive it is an design fault.

However - just wondering that nobody has ever came across this issue !? :)

Kind regrads
Marcus

PS: I am waiting for the ADAT card - having 2 + 8 digital outs is fantastic, unfortunately only "48" kHz useable. :wink: