Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By nyarlathotep Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:05 am
Hello everyone,

does anybody know how the speaker icon that appears at the top bar of the program, multi, and mixer pages works? It appears to have been added toward the end of the OS revisions and I can't find any docs for it at all.

I've been trying to use program change messages within sequences on the 4k (track set to INT-A Ch1).

When programs are assigned program change numbers instead of the pgm changes I'm expecting from the sequence track I'm getting silence and when I look this little speaker icon is crossed out (program, multi, and mixer pages). Selecting another program switches it back on but really not sure wtf is going on.

So to recap:

Trying to change programs (per track) using pgm chg msgs imbedded in said tracks.

Whats being done: Program/list, program change numbers enabled, seq track sending pgm chg to INT-A Ch1.

Result: No change to program, little speaker icon gets crossed out, no sound.

Any ideas?
By nyarlathotep Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:46 am
Ok. I think I've worked it out now. The speaker icon is there to let you know that theres an active program. If you use control change messages that go outside the available programs it will cross out and no audio will be heard.

To use program change messages to auto change programs as a creative tool you must be in one of the program pages. It doesn't seem to like main, multi, or mixer.

To do this properly use either program change or bank select with multi mode to auto select multis and thus programs. Using change messages with multis is the most in depth and interesting way of doing this. It also continues to work from all page views.

Pretty sure that wraps it up but feel free to add...