Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Emilie Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:05 pm
Hi fam, I have bought an MPC 4000 but the harddrive is a bit messed up. Do any of you know if it's possible to mount the MPC's internal harddrive as an external device in windows? I really don't want to take this machine apart if it's not needed. Thanks
By renegadebliss Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:19 am
You have to use Ak.Sys (which means an older operating system and computer, or Virtualbox) and then transfer the files via Ak.Sys.. was always pain.... When my IBM Deathstar died, I just left it and started to use external hard drives hooked up to front USB port... then I just plug the external drive into my computer and back it up with traditional computer utilities...
By Lovethe4000 Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:47 am
Emilie wrote:Hi fam, I have bought an MPC 4000 but the harddrive is a bit messed up. Do any of you know if it's possible to mount the MPC's internal harddrive as an external device in windows? I really don't want to take this machine apart if it's not needed. Thanks

Yo! I’ll try to pitch in a bit here as I have also removed my HD and replaced it with a SSD which I highly recommend. I had a fear the HD would die on me. Anyway, what exactly is wrong with the HD? Can you actually load sequences/sounds/programs/multis from it? If you can you should load those onto the MPC (it will be time consuming but well worth it) then save them using a USB drive which you can connect using the front USB port on the MPC. Like Renegadebliss said... you have to have old software and an old CPU to gain access...