Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Freddyfresh Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 am
Just a quick shout to all the 4000 homies, I was tempted to check the X but the ability to do complex midi filtering with my 4000 kept me loyal to the 4K also the ability to simultaneously play two midi channels from any given sequence has convinced me to stay with the 4K, but I wonder if any fellow 4000 users have been able to find more joy in any of the newer MPCs? I'm not interested in stock sounds on the newer kit but maybe some features are worthy of a look? I do dig the CV/Gate options with the X but I'm still not convinced my 4X can't hold it's weight against any instruments on the planet (as far as MPCs go and external sequencers)
FF
By Telefunky Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:19 am
I did the reverse and jumped the 4k after observing MPC Studio‘s path from Essentials 1.2 to MPC Software 2.x :mrgreen:
(and I‘m very happy with my choice)
I have already 2 DAWs installed and just as you mentioned... the 4k is a great (interaction) centerpiece of the studio with both of them.
No need for mobility in my case, that‘s covered by an iPad.

Regarding all the new shiny virtual goodies: not my cup of tea.
That’s already covered here in better releases since decades, me sticking to Creamware Scope for synths and modular fx, SAW Studio and PT5 TDM as DAWs.
(I get Akai/InMusic‘s business model, though, and wish them success)
By Lampdog Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:04 pm
Freddyfresh wrote:..... the 4K also the ability to simultaneously play two midi channels from any given sequence has convinced me to stay with the 4K

I jumped from 4k LONG time ago. My methods might not hit on lots of features others use tho.
My 4k hasn't been touched in almost 1yr now. I use X and sometimes MPC Keys61.

Do you mean, Multi-Timbrality, several midi channels simultaneously into a sequence? Midi channel per track? Yes, X can do this.

IE:
1 seq, Kronos2 has 16 midi tracks, I connect it usb to X and I can route all 16 of them to 16 X midi tracks without a problem.

I can:
1. Chain them to play together.
2. Have them share 1 midi channel and play together that way also.
3. Record multiple midi tracks at the same time.

Is that any of what you are talking about?

X IS missing many things 4k has but it hasn't stopped me from really liking the machine at all.
By glide Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:23 am
https://altruwest.com/2016/08/30/akai-m ... -maschine/

The sound on the 4k is superior if you take a listen ..

Its super solid, dual outputs per track, 2nd sequence, mod matrix .and apparently it sounds way better.. I also cut /play with the time indicator on bars to create different variations (jumping from 4/4 to 3/4 to 1/1 a few times then a 4/6 etc .. works real nice on breaks and accidental discoveries

The new ones do have amazing feature sets, coulor pads, touch screens, pad fx plus ton of inserts etc .. but I hate the pick eraser tool, pick pen tool to edit events .. seams like a backward way to implant into hardwhare (software mentality) .. dunno on the 4k you just hit the pad and use the << >> location keys to find the note in seq edit .. and I find the FX in the new mpc although far superior to the FX in the 4k rather harsh /cold sounding ..

I would say the flow must be much better on the new ones :?: and I am tempted to see what then new OS3 and One mk2 will bring as an UI improvement (buttons? that FM synth was quite decent ... I am more tempted in adding a Toriaz SP16 simply due to the sound quality and the way you can chop on the grid with parameter locks ..

just going to hold on for a few more months I have a feeling Roland will introduce a new MV model and Yamaha and Korg might surprise us aswellas Elektron Digitak mk2 .. its a hot market ..

But I would give up all the plugin, fx cream and cherry on top sequencer combos up for a great sounding Pioneer toriaz SP16 with squid sequencer and cross modulation Fx ... Every time... any day ... that would be sublime sample instrument
By glide Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:29 am
Lampdog wrote:X IS missing many things 4k has but it hasn't stopped me from really liking the machine at all.

Do you mind checking the link and perhaps doing a comparison of your own.. layering a few pads with the same samplings and uploading the results ...

The difirence in fidelity is quite :shock:
By NearTao Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:00 pm
It's probably me... but listening to the four examples, the differences seemed negligible... a clean "non UAD" and clean "digital to UAD" for reference would've been nice just to get a sense for what the UAD plugin is doing compared to everything else. Probably lost too much hearing (and mental faculty) from concerts though... :D
By wavejockey Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:23 pm
apart from the sound Q difference

i have both and just had the 4k from storage, have it now installed on top of an EMU RFX with adats going both ways
(to deal with the mediocre -at best- FX in the 4k)

X can send to 2 tracks if you set the output to another track (and copy the original) - so not quite but almost

4k is rock solid

with all the 'bloatware' in the X it feels much more "unstable"

the only thing i don't like in the 4k is that when you select 1 or more notes to do an operation on, after the process you'll lose your selection and have to re-select the notes (or MIDI cc) again - they have fixed that more/less in the X

be advised the 4k can do CV/Gate if you sample it and treat it like that
be advised the CV/gate in the X is only 0-5V so rather constrained (also only note/gate)
-so maybe the 4K + a good MIDI-CV box/eurorack is a better option - if you're into "complex" MODs - or even polyphonic CV
By richie Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:42 am
Everyone needs to erase anything good they've ever said about the 4000 in this thread, so that the prices can be driven down so I can purchase another one for $150 like it was 2005 again.
By richie Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:04 am
The MPC 4000 takes 3 hours to set up a simple drum program.

Some people will tell you about setting up "templates" but what they don't tell you is how it is super expensive to purchase a MPC 4000 branded hard drive to save the templates to.

Plus the MPC 4000 can't even sample off of YouTube.
By WesWook Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:11 pm
• With a little practice you should be able to put together a simple drum program in minutes. Time it usually takes to build is based around sample selection, which is universal.

• IDE adapter = $10 https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Adapter-Convert-Devices-Compatible/dp/B002SZDOM6
• 480GB SSD = $26 https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-480GB-Solid-SA400S37-480G/dp/B01N0TQPQB/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=ssd&qid=1677009642&sr=8-4
- Cost is relatively immaterial

• Connect an output source (YouTube) to the inputs on your 4k. It will sample YouTube like any other sampler on the market.

The 4K is still relevant. ADAT, 16-bit or 24-bit quantization and 44.1/48/96 kHz sampling rates, mod matrix, key groups.

It's a beast, it's huge, sometimes the fans make noise, sometimes it's an eye sore, but it's a damn good sampler workstation.

richie wrote:The MPC 4000 takes 3 hours to set up a simple drum program.

Some people will tell you about setting up "templates" but what they don't tell you is how it is super expensive to purchase a MPC 4000 branded hard drive to save the templates to.

Plus the MPC 4000 can't even sample off of YouTube.