Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Kalou Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:52 pm
I appreciate the future proofing of the new aftermarket LED backlit displays for the 4000 but I think preferred the look of the original OEM screens. More of a red tint than a blue, which is easier on the eyes. Also not so bright, which is a gift and curse (good at night, not so good in day).

Wdyt?
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:18 pm
I haven't tried one in the flesh but have a similar one installed on my MPC1000 and yes, the OEM 4000 screens do have a warmer vibe to them which will no doubt be easier on the eye. But short of stripping one off an old DPS16, the new ones seem to be the only option.

My OEM 4000 screen is fairly dim these days and needs new pad sensors but I'm looking to sell this so might just sell it 'as is' with a bit of a price reduction.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:35 pm
Kalou wrote:What's your primary machine now Tutor?

MPC Live and MPC One, I normally have the Live set up for standalone, MPC One for controller mode.

Still have many legacy units, but as I'm no longer making packs for these old machines I'm probably going to sell them all off, just taking up space now and gathering dust!
By Telefunky Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm
All screens share the same LCD display technology, the only difference is in illumination.
The original 4K screen is rather convenient to mod in this regard.
Remove the CCF tube from the white housing at the side of the panel and stuff a line of small LEDs (6-8) at it‘s place. Remove the inverter, it‘s not needed any more.

The display color varies with LED type. Atm I have an amber tint (warm white), before I had a grey (almost like an old b/w TV) with the cold white type.

I‘ve simply used battery powered LED decoration chains, which include a current controller, connected to the 5V line going to the inverter.
For about 2€ you get the LEDs and controller (snip off unneeded ones), but it‘s relatively easy to do a proper circuit. There are countless DIY versions.

Anyway, bottom line is that the original illumination case is a solid housing for whatever LEDs you choose.
You can have any color you like, but you can NOT change the basic display quality of an LCD panel, in particular viewing angle dependency.
This would need TFT, a completely different technology which requires a signal converter. Afaik no such ready made solutions exist.
By Kalou Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:02 pm
i’m in awe of your knowledge :worthy:

and your generosity sharing it

how did you come to figure this all out? do you have an engineering background, or are you an advanced tinkerer.

it’s interesting to note the screen tech is the same. this new aftermarket screen is bright and sans lines or audible whine, but i would ideally like it to be less bright blue and a more gentle amber.

it’s not just about blue light / sleep, but i do find it straining on the eyes. which in turn makes me not want to use it. same with the new blue screen on my 3K.

give ive spent the best part of a year getting this 4K back working screen wise, if you were me and wanted to make a mod to the screen (and given the one i have doesn’t use the tube housing) what would you do?

i think i have the housing from an old screen but wonder whether it would attach to the new screen (it might be designed differently - i don’t remember and would have to open up the 4K again).

def not an urgent change, but i like hearing these tweaks to make the 4K even more of a joy to work with are possible

By Telefunky Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:20 am
No engineering degree needed, but some basic knowledge of technology.
(combined with observation and a talent to mod existing solutions) :mrgreen:

Your new screen almost certainly uses a different illumination where tiny LEDs are fixed to a pile of „sheets“ (some reflective, some clear to guide the light, some diffuse) which results in a very even distribution of light across the surface.

I would just put a sheet of transparent plastic between the display and it‘s protective window to alter color and simultaneously dim intensity.
(but I‘m not sure if blue to amber-like is possible at all) :hmmm:

My own mod of the original screen illumination has 1 flaw: the LED controller has a button to start the illumination cycle (clocked 3 or 6 hours iirc), so it got to be external.
(2 twisted pairs cut from a network cable do the job and fit through the space behind the display) :-D
By Kalou Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:55 pm
eternally impressed by your knowledge, telefunky.

one thing i've noticed about this new screen is the blue or amber appearance changes depending on which angle the screen is at. i think for now having it working is good enough for me. but grateful for the insights if i choose to mod down the line.
By Telefunky Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:59 am
Kalou wrote:eternally impressed by your knowledge, telefunky.

well... to get along on limited funds, I have to learn about the inside of gear. :mrgreen:

one thing i've noticed about this new screen is the blue or amber appearance changes depending on which angle the screen is at.

That‘s a natural feature (or rather limitation) with this type of display (LCD).
The plastic protection sheet is actually a linear polarizer which is highly depending on angle.
Congrats for making the 4k work again :smoker:
By Juxx Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:43 am
Well you could buy a set of colored Gels (for Studio Lights) and cut the color you like to the size your screen and boom... But get very light ones.