Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By freezerman Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Hi guys, I've been a away from the forum for a while now, but I am back willing to share some findings and looking for help. Maybe the thread will also help others in the future.
So, after 20 years or so the USB port (front side) of my MPC4000 is dead, USB external HD and flash drives are not recognised anymore, and all obvious fixes (clean the port, add some connection fluid, etc.) didn't work.
So I opened the unit, and I realize I have 2 possible solutions here:
1) use the IDE/SATA HD slot to connect an IDE/SATA compatible device (ideally a CF reader since I do prefer removable media. In this case I could put it either in the 5.25 CD/DVD bay, or in the 3.5 HD bay.
2) use the available USB connector on the mother board to connect any USB1 compliant device (including a replacement USB port, like the ones we had at the front or back of our old Windows98 PCs if anyone can relate to this).

Solution 1) is tricky. I could find and buy a suitable IDE/SATA CF reader (from Startech). Finding an IDE flat data harness was a bit difficult, but I could source one from a friend 'useless cables' drawer.
Here is the CF reader product I bought:
It will require some tinkering to secure it inside the 3.5 bay, but no big deal.
The problem is that the CF reader needs a power supply. For which a 'standard' molex connector is provided. Fact is that the MPC service manual says that the power supply (for the IDE/SATA HD) is provided by the P7/P8 connectors that are shown here (these white things with the 4 metal pins pointing up.
And this is not your standard Molex connector (as shown here in my hands):
So for now I am left with everything, except a power source for the CF reader. Since I have no idea how the non-standard P7/P8 power connector is calledI can't even search the internet for a suitable source.
I could find a few vendors on Ebay that seem to have the dreaded power cable on offer (e.g. here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144651274058, but buying from the US is a major hassle, takes ages, and you get stunned by custom taxes here in the EU. I would very much like to source this from within the EU if possible.
:worthy: any help in this domain would be so immensely appreciated.

Now about solution 2) this should be even simpler. I could buy any 'old' USB bay, and connect it to the MPC with the single USB connector directly to the USB slot on the MPC4000 motherboard.
Here is the USB out from the soldered USB (and headphones) board of the MPC.
And this is where the original USB Board was connected to the MPC4000 motherboard.
Fact is that this connector seems to be completely unknown by every professional I asked (i spent my afternoon in the Parisian Montgallet area where you can buy any part for any PC old and new, showing the picture to service technicians of all ages, and they were all shaking their heads). So here are a few pictures for anyone able to recognise the standard. It is quite small (9mm width).
If I could find any solution to interface this with the typical USB 2 interface I could just buy/install any CF reader (with maybe even a USB port or two included). Like this one.

So that is the end of this post. Thank you for reading this far.
What else can I say? The MPC4000 is just 'the' ultimate MPC. to me. It has a few quirks, but its sounds just great and has everything a sample-based musician needs. I will be very sad if I can't find a solution to get it back to work, as for now with this USB (and no HD situation) I can't save anything I do, and that is a major problem.
Also good to see that this forum is still alive. The amazing amount of wisdom and knowledge stored in here is just amazing.
By Telefunky Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:16 pm
Is there a reason why you don‘t exchange the plug that receives the USB device ?
I guess you assume the connector is worn out, otherwise the SL811 usb host controller would need replacement first.
According to the PC IO Block Diagram (Service M) there may be IC14C to protect the host controller (unless IC14 represents the host controller in a very reduced symbol).
The SL811 on CPU circuit diagram is IC10, I couldn‘t find IC14 yet :hmmm:
(but you probably get the idea)
By freezerman Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:21 am
I assume something is wrong withbthe USB and headphone board. The USB connector is solderedvto the b9ard and i don’t do soldering by the way. So the alternative solutions seem more in line with my know how.
By freezerman Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:57 pm
A quick follow up.
I found that the USB port on the 4000 Motherboard (see image at the bottom of the post) seems to be called a "1 X 4 Pin Internal USB Connector 1.25 mm Pitch" and it is the ancestor of USB-2 -- where USB2 is just two of these connectors stacked on top each other to provide... 2 USB ports wherever needed. The very common USB2 connector has 9 pins (4+4 and 1 for 'spare' whatever this means).
I have ordered these from Amazon in FR.

https://www.amazon.fr/adaptateur-RIIEYOCA-connecteur-broches-DuPont/dp/B09D7G92M3/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=3FH77KEZRZ0G0&keywords=1+X+4+Pin+Internal+USB+Connector+1.25+mm+Pitch&qid=1703940125&sprefix=1+x+4+pin+internal+usb+connector+1.25+mm+pitch%2Caps%2C460&sr=8-1

If all goes to plan that will be the easiest fix. It will provide a female USB port inside the 4000, that I can connect to any USB drive I want to. I will keep the community posted as things unfold.

Here is the USB port soldered to the 4000 motherboard for context:
By Telefunky Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:32 pm
just for completeness and because I messed a couple of things above:
there are 2 USB related chips SL811 (as mentioned) and NET2890, IC4 is a bus driver (not a protection), but related to the port on the backside of the MPC.
The USB outlet on the frontside is protected by PS200 (the beige part inside the red circle) which limits the +5V line.

Connecting directly to P6 eliminates both protection and EMI filters.
I‘d suggest you find someone to fix it properly, but proceed at your own risk if you prefer to do so.
At least visually those USB cable plugs don‘t fit the Molex socket.

best of luck, Tom
By freezerman Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:57 pm
Thank ou Telefunky, of course when it comes to this I am a total ignorant. Fact is that I have been around a few repair shops here in Paris already, showing the unit (and lugging the MPC4000 in the metro... that's a lot of dedication to the unit) hoping for someone to take the job, but to no avail so far. I guess if I could find the power cable for the IDE drive the thing would be much simpler of course. Any idea what is the actual name of that small Molex 4 in connector that they show here?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144651274058
With the right reference I should be able to source one in Europe.
By Telefunky Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:26 am
Just think reverse... :hmmm:
you probably have an IDE drive installed, so just get a standard splitter cable for it‘s power output connector. 1 female input, 2 male outputs.
I didn‘t check power specs, but 2004 HDs were much more consuming than today and you’ll only connect a relatively low current device anyway.

If you intend to do a lot of data transfer you may consider replacing the CD drive instead.
A USB-1 connection is really slow, I know from MacOS9... :Sigh:

ps: such Molex shields and contacts seem to be available, but you need a crimp tool that exceeds the price of the cable on eBay.
By freezerman Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 pm
Regretfully I bought the 4000 without the HD installed. There is a DVD/RW drive installed, but it is not hooked (no cables, neither data nor power...) I am OK with the USB1 slow data transfer, i’ve been using this for the past 10 years without complaining. What I will try though is to go to a components store and see if they can find the right connector for the IDE power and adapt an existing molex cabling to it. These guys have the tools. The problem is that in these places the guys are very self conscious and coming to them with vague terms and pictures usually ends up in a no comprendo mode. If I could just tell them exactly what is the spec/name of the power connector that fits the P7 or P8 4pin power outlet on the board would probably make this much easier and would increase my chances of success :mrgreen:
By Telefunky Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:35 pm
Those Molex connectors are industrial parts with tight fit and a notch to prevent wrong direction inserts.
(which is nice to have in a MPC, but not 100% required)

What you need to know is the pitch of the pins and their diameter.
Then find a matching connector (in recycling), cut off a section of 4 contacts and have someone solder a regular drive power cable to it.
Just be certain about position of each power/ground line and mark one side of the connector to prevent false insert. Or glue something to it as a fake notch.
(I know this is improvised crap, but would at least do the job for almost no budget) :mrgreen:
By wavejockey Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:18 pm
FYI, i installed a (simple,single) CF card reader on the IDE BUS inside the MPC, with draws power from the HD MOLEX connector
if your STARTECH CF reader has a different power connector, just find an old computer (power) cable that connects both P7/8 and the CF reader or do as suggested above and find a HD power split cable
both cables should be easy to find in any computer outlet, can't really believe nobody in paris could not help you
(also try the recycle shop near you, they should have dozen of boxes full of old computer cables)
By freezerman Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:02 pm
Thanks for the advice Wavejockey, the CF to IDE route was (and still is) my preferred option (as you can see n my thread I have bought the CF drive already), but this power cable is still missing, and I can tell you that this power connector is nowhere to be found in Paris. I am still looking around.