Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Lauedbeatz Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:43 pm
What’s up guys?! I’m brand new to this forum. I’ve owned my mpc4000 for about 10years and in that time have recording/performed lots of music on it while continuing to learn more and more about it. With that being said, I’m having an issue with the “Sample List” window: typically when you highlight a sample in the Sample List window and hit Bank B/Pad 13, it will play the sample in its original pitch and, will play it in different pitches from higher to lower according to the pad #/bank order. Right now when I strike the Bank B/Pad 13 it plays the highlighted sample at a very high pitch instead of the original and, the other pads/banks at random pitches that seem to be in no specific order at all. I’ve tried searching for ways to fix it through Global Initial to going through all the sample and program options and I’m still stumped. Does anyone know how to switch it back to normal? I’m just hoping this isn’t a system error issue (I am running 1.71 btw)….. Thanks for any assistance
By Lampdog Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm
By Lampdog Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:05 pm
By Lauedbeatz Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am
Ok I guess I didn’t mean to put “record” at 8 or 12 bit, since you can only record in 16 or 24 (forgot) but, for some reason it’s not converting to 8 or 12 bit after I select the “edit” “resample” option and select either one. Maybe I’m forgetting something again; it’s been over 7mo since I picked this thing up and I rarely lowered the bit depth on most of my samples beforehand.
By wavejockey Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:45 am
how you know it's not converting to 12 bit?

at least, the option to process so is in my re-sample edit option

(and i can process it allright)

-although the result sounds very similar to the original (24bit)

wait a second, original sampled @ 24 bits because that's the native frequency but it does show up as 16bit in the sample list window
maybe a BUG they didn't polish out?
By Lauedbeatz Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:47 am
wavejockey wrote:how you know it's not converting to 12 bit?

at least, the option to process so is in my re-sample edit option

(and i can process it allright)

-although the result sounds very similar to the original (24bit)

wait a second, original sampled @ 24 bits because that's the native frequency but it does show up as 16bit in the sample list window
maybe a BUG they didn't polish out?

Exactly. I still have the option to resample at 8 or 12bit but, when I do and play it back - i don’t hear a difference and the window lists it at 16bit.
Let’s say I take a sample originally at 24bit and hit edit/resample, select “12bit” and hit do it, it will say “16bit” in the right top corner of the window or the right column in the “sample list” window afterward instead(as opposed to saying 12bit). That is in fact what is happening if I understand you correctly. If it was originally 16bit and I resample to 12bit, it just says 16bit in the window still also. If I take a 16bit sample and resample to 24bit, it does list as 24bit in the window though. Am I the only one that this is happening to or have I just noticed this now after all these years?
By Lauedbeatz Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am
Telefunky wrote:The machine can only store files in either 16bit or 24bit file format.
File content may well be 8 or 12bit, inspect with a file editor if in doubt.
(bits 9-16 or 13-16 are filled with zeroes) ;)

Thanks for the clarification! I am aware of how it processes the lower bit rates (bits being filled with zeroes). Sorry to sound like a newbie. Had an incident happen to my 4k that damaged the lcd and rendered it unusable for about 7mo. Recently got it fixed by installing a new lcd board. Ever since then I’ve been paranoid about what else may have gotten damaged/screwed up from the impact. It’s nice to know it’s just my own faulty memory acting up on this recent observation lol
By Lauedbeatz Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:19 am
wavejockey wrote:last week i discovered the WINDOW functionality in SAMPLE LIST so -after all those years- there is still some things to discover-right

Man ! Not sure how long you’ve had yours but I’ve owned mine over ten years and I’m still learning “new” features and options it has ! :lol:
By Lampdog Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 am
wavejockey wrote:last week i discovered the WINDOW functionality in SAMPLE LIST so -after all those years- there is still some things to discover-right

For real for real?

:lol: :lol:

“WINDOW” button has been mentioned here for years. Glad you found it though.
It’s useful.
By Lauedbeatz Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:01 pm
Back to the original point of this post though: the whole reason i was confused with pad assign/sample window is because ever since I first bought this machine, it was already set to “chromatic” in the sample list window. And every time I’ve turned the machine off and back on again, it would stay on those same settings everytime. Ever since it got damaged and I’ve got the screen fixed, it always reverts to “default” pad assign when I turn it back on. It’s like the global settings won’t save anymore, along with the date/time/etc. I have to go in and change them back every time I turn on instead. I think that’s the only “issue” im having at this point since the incident. I’ve replaced battery, taken apart and reassembled to make sure connections are good - no luck. Maybe reinstall os ? Not like the issue is seriously affecting my workflow or ability to create, just hoping it isn’t a symptom of something else going bad or damaged…Thank you all for the info and help!