Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By drumtrack Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 am
jahrome wrote:
drumtrack wrote:
i dont think xp has that much bugs to be honest... its the software you install with xp that has the bugs (vsts, cubase, hw divers etc)

It doesn't matter that you think it doesn't have 'that much bugs'. It does have bugs. It will never be bug free. The same goes for those other programs.
can you name a few? im curious

By drumtrack Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 am
most of the bugs seem to exist due to incompatible hardware and 2000->XP upgrades..

By jahrome Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:22 am
drumtrack wrote:
most of the bugs seem to exist due to incompatible hardware and 2000->XP upgrades..

I don't know what you are taling about...Windows XP and its service packs have had all sorts of issues over the years..which resulted in Window Updates all the time.

I just did a scan on my computer...I am not talking about security uodates...but there are 5 updates available to correct bugs...

Then you have the bugs that result in the Blue Screen of Death....

Or the ones when it says that Windows has encountered an error and tells you to click and report this error, but it comes back that you may have installed a driver (even when you didn't install anything at all) that may have caused a problem....

So yeah...there is nothing wrong with Windows and it works flawlessly, if that makes you happy....any problems are user errors and has nothing to do with this world-reknowned software.

So, you can get along with Windows but you can't with your MPCs OS :lol:

By illiac Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:45 am
feline1 wrote:
Kalei wrote:
Lumpy wrote:I can tell you that there is NO WAY Akai will open source the MPC.

Im afraid your right about this :cry:

Er guys,
can we at least ASK them first?? :lol:

Yes, of course we should ask them. None of us can guess what is in their mind about this product line. Who would have guessed that Mozilla a would be open-sourced? You never know. Open-source can be a godsend for a company that doesn't have enough resources to support a software system but doesn't want to see it die either.

If one of you folks wants to initiate contact, post something here saying so. If not, I will try to do it when I get a chance. I travel to Asia tomorrow, but I can make a call from there if need be. I have quite a lot of experience with intellectual property contracts and this kind of stuff generally, but on the other hand it sounds like some of the other folks here have some valuable experience and background too. Whatever happens, the call should be placed by someone with a cool head.

Jahrome, how about you go babble in the MPC2000 forum? You're filling this thread up with shit.

-illiac

By alpha80 Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:03 am

By _Stilo_ Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:34 am
It could be beneficial if we had some kind of user base before making any requests. Renich put up a website especially for that purpose, which was joined by a total of 8 (in words: EIGHT) people so far.

So anyone only roughly interested in this topic, please register with

http://www.woralelandia.com/openmpc/

so we can see if it does make any sense at all talking on about this.

By feline1 Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 am
Akai do seem to have stopped developing the MPC4000 OS.

If this is true,
but they want to continue shipping loads of MPC4000 machines,
then improving the OS for them via Open Source could be
very attractive to them.

On the other hand, they may reject it out of hand.

It probably depends what their own laywers tell them.

By jahrome Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:14 am
lliac wrote:
Jahrome, how about you go babble in the MPC2000 forum? You're filling this thread up with ****.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your right. I will do just that because the 4000 forum is only filled with people that are mad at their MPCs because it has never worked and can't use it.

I wish you luck developing your Open Sourced OS and will revist this thread in 3 years to see if you are talking about the same thing......actually, by that time, you will be filling up the MPC 5000 forum with hate mail :P

Peace..love..and happiness....

I am out.........

By feline1 Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:44 am
Actually, if Akai released the Frame files for the documentation,
I could probably turn around incorporating all the OS Addendum stuff into a new, peer-reviewed, error free Reference Manual within 3 months, not 3 years.
(Three weeks if I was doing as my day job,
but that wouldn't be the case)

By nik Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:51 am
The manual stuff would be even better whacked onto a wiki somewhere so users could update it and add new bits. OCR anyone?

By illiac Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:56 am
_Stilo_ wrote:It could be beneficial if we had some kind of user base before making any requests. Renich put up a website especially for that purpose, which was joined by a total of 8 (in words: EIGHT) people so far.

So anyone only roughly interested in this topic, please register with

http://www.woralelandia.com/openmpc/

so we can see if it does make any sense at all talking on about this.

I suspect the folks joining that list are interested in getting involved in the development. That is, eight is the developer base but not the user base. It would only take one guy to fix one or two bugs in the OS and repackage it for release in order to get folks to use it. Most big commercial software systems that are being maintained but not being actively developed are maintained by just a handful of people.

Developing an OS from scratch is something entirely different. One is like fixing your car, the other is like building a new car using just a metal lathe and blowtorch, haha.

-illiac

By feline1 Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:57 am
Of fer godssakes,
there's hundreds and hundreds of pages -
why OCR all that when Akai have the FrameMaker source files?

Also you'd have to rebuild/relink ALL the cross-referencing and heading numbers and screen shots. It would be insane!

Also, most MPC4000 users appear to be crack-head loons who
can barely string two words together.
I don't think a manual filled with people going "Peace", and "4real, bro"
will really be much use.

By all means we can translate it into a Jive edition later on :lol:

By _Stilo_ Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:54 pm
illiac wrote:I suspect the folks joining that list are interested in getting involved in the development. That is, eight is the developer base but not the user base.

Then the question is, do we want to gather people interested in this, or only those who feel inclined to contribute something?

By nik Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:07 pm
feline1 wrote:Also, most MPC4000 users appear to be crack-head loons who can barely string two words together. I don't think a manual filled with people going "Peace", and "4real, bro" will really be much use.

By all means we can translate it into a Jive edition later on :lol:

Bwaaaaaaah, FFS, yo! Peace LOL thatz the shizzzzzzzzle dude!!!!!!11! 1337

:wink:

By Lumpy Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:41 pm
feline1 wrote:Akai do seem to have stopped developing the MPC4000 OS.

If this is true,
but they want to continue shipping loads of MPC4000 machines,
then improving the OS for them via Open Source could be
very attractive to them.

On the other hand, they may reject it out of hand.

It probably depends what their own laywers tell them.

They will reject it because it would allow any manufacturer to use their software for competing products and some of that code is probably still being used in other products like the 2500. Especially their sequencer whose feel others have tried, unsucessfully, to recreate many times over.
There would be nothing attractive in doing this for them. This I know because I worked at another music company and I know what they would have said to this type of proposal.
I doubt the total user base of MPC4000 owners is more than 3000 people max. If there were 10,000 or 100,000 users it would probably be different for them.

Your best bet is in offering to finance any changes you want done.
Show them that us 4000 users are willing to put up or shut up.
Collecting the money in a central place is the harder part and redistributing it if they don't agree to it is another.