Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By Ian Canefire Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:43 pm
The green cable is a power cable. each of the wires has a function. I am not sure but I would suspect some are for different voltages. no information goes through this cable. I gather this card can probably be used with other akai equipment if you have the technical skills.
I own other box samplers that are more popular than the akai brands. The yamaha a4000/5000 forum has people in there who have done more mods than you can imagine. When I go into my a4000 it has a similar layout and wires. However the a4000's use the power cable and the information tape cable. Akai is running power through the tape cable. so the other wire is either backup or they were thinking about making it connectable to older machines.
Remember that the technology was changing fast during that time period. If someone owns an older machine like a 2000xl or one of the sample boxes like a 3200xl, S5000 or s6000 you should try the IB-4D in it. I bet you it works in one of those units.
Cheers,
Ian
By Coz Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:47 pm
MPCWeapon1 wrote:It connects to the ADAT board for Word Clock sync. The ADAT can function without it, but you may hear some pops or clicks without the wordclock to stabilize it.

That makes sense.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of one from somewhere...
By Coz Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:04 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:The green cable is a power cable. each of the wires has a function. I am not sure but I would suspect some are for different voltages.

Nice one Ian.

I'm thinking that because I will be sampling from the computer via SPDIF and tracking out via ADAT this cable may be essential.

I only realised yesterday that my interface only has ADAT in and not out. :fku:
By dabmeister Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm
Does anybody know if you don't have the spdif/wc board installed for sync, but you do have the adat card installed, would going through a dedicated clock stabilizer such as a apogee big ben take the place of correcting any issues when it comes to clocking the 4k's adat signal?

Just curious :hmmm:
By nyarlathotep Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:13 am
Service manual/page 34:

Note 2: On the MPC4000 with IB-4D SP-DIF Digital Interface Board installed, Connect the 8-pin Connecting Cable
included between the IB-4D (P2) and IB-4ADT (P1) boards.

As I recall the purpose of this procedure is outlined in the manual that came with my adat board. I'll take a look and let you know what it says.
By Seamus o bottle Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 pm
Does anyone know what the connector type is on this cable? Beyond it being 8-pin I can't tell exact.ly from pictures and have not been able to find any info on it in the service manual.
By Telefunky Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 pm
They are called PCB connectors and (some) come with cables attached to a single plug.
Otherwise you need a special crimping tool.
My guess (from memory) is a 1.27mm grid, but 1.25 and 1mm are also possible.
(I don‘t remember if one side was fixed to the circuit board or had a plug, too)
They are common in 2.54 mm grid, but I didn‘t find any smaller by quick browsing.