Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By jacey714 Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:58 pm
Does anybody know the exact function of the green 8-pin cable that connects between the IB4D SPDIF card and the IB4ADT ADAT card? I went through hell looking for this cable and found it with the help of MPC USER GUY...I thought it would allow me to use a lightpipe input for 2 channel SPDIF signal...but it didn't...What does it do? I connected it and haven't seen anything different in terms of function...Any ideas?

By alpha80 Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:32 am
The ribbon cable or power cable ?

I only remember 2 when I put my spdif/clock in.

Am I missing something.... :? ...

By jacey714 Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:21 pm
It's the 8-pin green cable that connects from the IB4ADT to IB4D card...
By MPC USER GUY Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 am
Hello again jacey714!

So I see you installed the cable? Good.

I don't see "lightpipe input for 2 channel SPDIF signal" mentioned in the manual at all. For digital recording, as far as I am aware(there are other members that use this function more frequently than I do, and are more proficient with this than I am, so I'm just going over bare basics here.)in the recording screen, at input source, choose either "DIGITAL IN(SPDIF), or ADAT(page 155 of the Reference Manual/p165 in PDF)." Do these both appear or not? Are you saying that the digital recording functions of the ADAT card are not functioning according to AKAI specs? Or is it that the cards aren't capable of doing what you want them to do? It's not quite clear.

Please let me know exactly what you mean.

Just trying to help any way I can,
MPC USER GUY 8)

By jacey714 Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 am
Even before I installed the green cable, the ADAT card was working fine...as well as the SPDIF card...I just figured the green cable would allow me to do something else...like being able to record 2 channel SPDIF signal with the ADAT lightpipe IN, etc...But far as I can see, I don't see any difference in functionality...I just wanna know what the exact function of the green cable is...
By popa1 Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:01 am
Just a guess but maybe it doesn't give any functionality but allows all digital sources to sync to one sample rate I don't per se have any of the digital options but
By MPC USER GUY Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:07 pm
Oh, I see where you're coming from jacey714! :D

I know you must be saying:"then why did I need it in the first place?" Well, the engineers spec'd that out and they seem to be the only ones who know the reason. AKAI makes one thing clear on page 34, note2, of the MPC 4000 service manual which you can download here if you haven't done so already:http://www.woralelandia.com/openmpc/files/MPC4000_Service_Manual.pdf that the cable has to be installed when using both cards. I don't know the technical reasons.

Well, as far as I can see, it doesn't support what you're expecting, maybe there's a workaround?
At least I'm glad it's doing what it is supposed to do. As far as functionality of that missing 8pin cable that was very difficult to find is concerned, I haven't been able to find the "actual" function of that very cable.

Maybe emailing Japan/Akai for this question may yield favorable results?
I remember last time, when doing the "cable" search, it was useless, but for a function inquiry you may actually get an answer? I hope so.

I really hope you find the answer to what you're looking for jacey714! :D
Just trying to help out where I can,
MPC USER GUY 8)

By Pugsly Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 pm
Its probably for the wordclock so the ADAT card can be slaved to an external wordclock source

By jacey714 Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:28 pm
The word clock signal can be received with ADAT IN...so there's really no need for connector...

By Pugsly Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:30 pm
Sure there is...If you have a complex digital system with a wordclock master.

By jacey714 Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 am
I wonder why Akai can't just read this post and reply...probably cuz they don't know themselves...

By adrian Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 pm
jacey714 wrote:I wonder why Akai can't just read this post and reply...probably cuz they don't know themselves...

Why can't you just let it go? It has been over a month and you are still trying to figure out one cable does. Just use the MPC.

By jacey714 Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm
I use the MPC everyday...I'm just curious cuz I spent like $40 on that cable and wanna know what it's for? Yes it's been over a month...but I never got the answer...just curious that's all...Isn't that what this forum is for?
By Coz Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 am
Old thread, but has anyone ever found out what this interconnecting cable does? :hmmm:
By MPCWeapon1 Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 am
It connects to the ADAT board for Word Clock sync. The ADAT can function without it, but you may hear some pops or clicks without the wordclock to stabilize it.