Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By colinbradley7 Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:52 am
Is it any good?

Worth upgrading?[/color]

By mpc_DV8 Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:07 pm
I bought my mpc 4k 3 months ago and I havnt regretted it for a minuet. I cant comment on the upgrading from a 2000Xl as this is my first mpc.

I have, however spent alot of years making tunes with software. (oh no here comes the hadware v software debate again) and now I have a 4k... Im never going back to an all virtual setup.

The 4k has few bugs, there will be some that will take a few revisions to iron out and there are some features not fully implamented. It would be fair to say that the 4k Os needs tuning but runs reliably.

The 4k is so playable. I have never felt that any Pc was an instrument to be played, mearley a thing to programme and sit back and listen to. The 4k is an instrument and a bloody good one![/color]

By fm_xtk Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:13 pm
The price in the u.k. has dropped already and you can pick one up for £1699 in. VAT from digitalvillage.biz

I would upgrade if I could afford it. I got my mpc2000xl 6 months ago and was blown away by how good it is and particularly how good it feels.

The only thing I probably would't like is the new look. I do like the old archaic AKAI-machine look. I think the 4000 could have done with a more "traditional" design job.

Here's a question for mpc_dv8: Does  ak.sys on the 4000 actually support editing features in the same way as it does on the z-series samplers???[/color]

By mpc_DV8 Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:22 pm
AkSys is as good as it is bad..

There is hardly a feature on the Mpc4k that you cant effect with Aksys, and as a bonus you have the windows enviroment to cut, paste and copy things with.

I do find it alot easier to write on the Mpc and then tweek things with AkSys.

On the down side, well, whoever wrote Aksys for Akai needs a slap. No offence to the team but it never gives the feeling of being solid and there is nothing exciting about it. I wish they had given the contract to a team like Propellerheads... I can only dream of what they would have done and the imaginitive things they would have included. As it is Aksys is just a window into the Mpc4k.

By EdwardSakamura Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:37 am
I dunno, I think the 4k is crap, my friend got one as his first sampler, (lucky!) and #1 the os is BAD, it crashes when u put too much on it., s'cool they will fix that, but i dunno, I like the 900 dollar 2kxl, sure i cant do all I want to on it, but with my pc (a basic requirement for making music these days) i have the power of the MPC 4k and I dont have to worry. if they drop the price to say 1500 bux (never gonna happen) I'd cop it, but until then ill take the 2k,
ps I could just be biased bc i LOVE the sound that comes out of the 2kxl, PHAT. I think the 4k sounds kinda flat compared to the 2k, more "artificial" and not as grimey, which is why the 2k is so dope to begin wit.[/color]

By BigMike Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:10 am
EdwardSakamura wrote:I dunno, I think the 4k is crap, my friend got one as his first sampler, (lucky!) and #1 the os is BAD, it crashes when u put too much on it., s'cool they will fix that, but i dunno, I like the 900 dollar 2kxl, sure i cant do all I want to on it, but with my pc (a basic requirement for making music these days) i have the power of the MPC 4k and I dont have to worry. if they drop the price to say 1500 bux (never gonna happen) I'd cop it, but until then ill take the 2k,
ps I could just be biased bc i LOVE the sound that comes out of the 2kxl, PHAT. I think the 4k sounds kinda flat compared to the 2k, more "artificial" and not as grimey, which is why the 2k is so dope to begin wit.[/color]

I've got the MPC4000 too.  It's sitting in Akai Japan's offices right now getting fixed -- jumper problem...

It's buggy.  Period.  For beats it's okay but if you're looking to do a complicated arrangement then think twice!  Not until they fix some of the bugs...  

Hopefully, it'll be fixed by the end of this year....[/color]