Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Ultros Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:33 pm
Well I finally bit the bullet and signed up for distrokid's two artist plan... I was laying in bed two days ago and it hit me. "If I dont try to market my music, It's a certainty I will never make money at it."

After signing up and reading through the material I opted for their 2 artist tier for around $40. 40 is piddly in the grand scheme of things seems fair to me.

Anyways long story short I've upped 25 tracks I've made over the last year. Alot of them are not very good but they allow me to upload unlimited tracks and I have two profiles. All the tracks are synthesized so they are all legit. (However I didnt bother to master my renders lol i will take a hit for that i am sure)

Any tips for using distrokid? do's / don't's? Ways to make it pay? Got horror stories or good feed back? I want to know anything you can tell me about the service and if theres any more efficient ways of making it work for me.
By Ultros Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:31 pm
Wow. They put me on ERRYTHANG. I am on spotify, youtube, amazon, itunes (ithink), iheartradio, tidal, a bunch of others.

It's a trip seeing your shiznit on amazon of the strength of your own efforts. I am not so delusional to imagine it will get rich but I am pretty effin stoked about reaching a wider audience than the underground and not having some parasite trying to chissel me and own me and my work.

Snazzy!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_s ... rist+pt.+1
By Ultros Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:21 am
Komatos Records wrote:Looks nice. Let us know how it goes.

Well. as a distribution service. it's good. It does its job but because I am a broke ass mf and lack promotion / the drive to promote anything my hits are uber low. But all in all eh it works. Dunno if i'd pay next time since there are other sites that do the same thing for free.
By Planemo Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:45 pm
Thanks for posting this up, I briefly looked at Distrokid now that I have a few tracks underway. I wasn't looking to monetize initially, when you sign up are there options for folk to download for free? As you may have guessed I'm looking for exposure rather than money, certainly for maybe the first year or so,
By Ultros Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:49 am
In order to monitize it you gotta fork up your sin number n shit lol they get down to brass tacks. if you decide not to go that route (which isnt forced on you) i am fairly certain you can set it up to post your stuff for free. I will have to double check that to be sure though. lol imagine if they still charged for your songs and you got 0% of it? oof.
By Masi Sat May 06, 2023 8:16 pm
You are probably not going to make much money going that route. Not because your music sucks, but by the sheer numbers of guys like you and me.

Masi
By Ultros Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:08 am
Masi wrote:You are probably not going to make much money going that route. Not because your music sucks, but by the sheer numbers of guys like you and me.

Masi

word up. havent made squat. no biggy though more or less i wanted to give it a try see how it goes. Not wonderfully but it does dispurse my tracks to the proper places.

it's a service.
By inflict3 Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 am
You can try amuse. I use them, the free account, you only get 12 uploads a year, and it can take up to 3 weeks to get your tracks through the approval process, but if you plan ahead, you can release an album once a month for 12 months for that year, all free and you don’t get it taken down when you can’t afford to pay. There are some downfalls to the free account vs the paid ones, but what bothered me most about paid distribution is how they take your stuff down if you don’t pay, hat if you die? You don’t want them pulling your shit when you die.