Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By mrbeatz Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 am
Hip Hop is FAR from dead. Ignore all that talk about it not existing. With cats like us constantly making joints like this it ain't going nowhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KO_DG4hfv4

There are MAD dope cats on the underground out there. Ignore the garbage out there that's making it look bad and you'll be fine. Hip Hop is alive and healthy and isn't going anywhere!

B
By JUKE 179r Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 am
Joidibeats wrote:YEAAH LIL WAYNE AND SOULJA BOYS THERE! GET EM PLEASANT!

By starcrusher Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 am
mainstream hip hop fused itself with trance and r & b and continues to call itself hip hop.

most songs have some shitty software synthesizer playing on it. they also have some *insert replaceable one named singer here* chick singing the hook. it's all one super-genre now. it's like the wal-mart of music.

but who gives a ****? just listen to old good shit or find underground cats that are killin it. the music industry itself is changing severely. it's hard to live off music now, and yet a lot of cats still refuse to sell out and keep making music from the heart. these are weird times but there's good music out there. always will be.
By BGBEATS Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 pm
Hip Hop isn't dead, it's just not what is promoted in the mainstream

The media pretty much refers to any songs with "rap" as the vocal delivery style as Hip Hop

but it is not

Hip hop has a certain sound and it's not the sound that is being called hip hop at the moment.

Hip Hop started as a LIVE performance oriented style deejays and emcees

1st the dj element was dismissed from the picture
by many

then the emcees stopped needing to be able to rock the crowd live

emcees were replaced with rappers who record their vocals by punching in every other line in pro tools reading their lyrics off of paper as they go.

this approach has made succesful recordings but took the rock the crowd live element out of the equation
By cnorthan Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:46 am
Hmmm, whats killing hip hop???
1. No one is original anymore.. at one point it was considered a high crime if you came out sounding like the next man.. now thats the norm. everyone is a clone of the next man or women. one person does something different and is sucessful - 50 rappers follow in their next song.. ie. autotune is so done, cooked, fried, sizzled and left smoking. and why does the production all have the same drums and keyboard right down to the detuned drum fill. good lord stop it please..

2. Too many rapper sound like they lack one drop of intelligence. My son tried to tell me that lil wayne was the best rapper. sad sad sad.. i give wayne credit for doing his thing, but, most of the time he either sounds drunk or like he exercised not one brain cell in writing his lyric. DUDE has some respect for your art.. plenty other rappers doing the same thing. life is more than sex, money, and drugs. you'll find that out when you grow up. one thing that i liked about eminem when he started was the fact that he was different, crazy as hell but very witty. you could tell was some thought when he wrote. go back and listen to rakim in follow the leader then listen to wayne ... what a joke.

3. We as fans have to accept the bs thats being pushed to us.. we have trained ourself to accept the hype. just say no to senseless nonesense.. but we won't, the masses would rather hear bs about hoes, doe bling or killing.. i compare it to this countries fascination with them fake-ass reality tv.. mind numbing in the new millenium.
By Dan L Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 am
^^^^^" go back and listen to rakim in follow the leader then listen to wayne ... what a joke."
+1 on that statement.

People don't want to hear this.... but Jay Z acting like he was retired was stupid.
How many years did he rap?
You know old school rappers like Rakim and Too Short laughed when Jay Z "retired"

I love all music, but I can tell you the last rap album I bought new was Mac Dre's " the game is thick"

( just my .02 )
By mr_debauch Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am
Dan L wrote:^^^^^" go back and listen to rakim in follow the leader then listen to wayne ... what a joke."
+1 on that statement.

People don't want to hear this.... but Jay Z acting like he was retired was stupid.
How many years did he rap?
You know old school rappers like Rakim and Too Short laughed when Jay Z "retired"

I love all music, but I can tell you the last rap album I bought new was Mac Dre's " the game is thick"

( just my .02 )

yeah and how many tracks has jay done since he retired a few years ago? hasn't he even had an album or two since then?
By Jason_Chase Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:56 am
New artists are scared to be different that's why rap music sucks there's nothing wrong with Hip Hop music. There is a big difference and most people don't understand why record labels are trying to kill Hip Hop by calling trash rap Hip Hop. I feel that there is a lot of good music in the streets and some of these old heads need to wake up out of 1998 and see there is good Hip Hop out here. I'm a 90's head but I'm still checking for new artists that are not running with the pack doing they own thing.