Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By ArKyve-31 Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 am
roach lotion wrote:^^^wrong, if u approach an artist u do have to pay. a friend of mine from experience found that out.
wtf? i forgot thats how mc's get paid, beatmakers payin em to spit
By fasttrackpimp Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 am
roach lotion wrote:^^^wrong, if u approach an artist u do have to pay. a friend of mine from experience found that out.

Your friend a **** moron dude? :lol: Good luck with that approach, the rest of us are gonna get our bread. You only gotta pay if you're tryin to get them on one of you're projects(ie your album, your mixtape, etc). If you just tryin to get them a beat for their shit, they pay you for your work. You're friend got had if he falls into that second category and paid anything.
By BGBEATS Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm
It's different approaches depending on the project and how much input you want to have in the final tracks and if YOU are a beatmaker only or a song PRODUCER

If you are wanting a certain rapper or rappers handpicked by you to record vocals on your beat, with you producing your own project where you are the producer you that is controlling what end vocal performances get used or what lyrics need to be switched etc. where YOU own the copyright to the end products then you be hiring the vocalist as a "work for hire" just like hiring a dj to scratch on your track or a bass player etc etc.

That's very different than just having some random rapper or singer write and record a song on your beat that you have no input on their vocal performances etc, they in that are gonna pay you for the use of your beat and you still own it, they are kinda "renting" it non exclusively, which you can do with the same beat over & over though you may never actually like the end results but it is $$

or you can just do a mutual collabo with artists where you contribute the beat, the artist contribute the vocals and you both equally share the finished track copyright/distribution. Rather than $$ you both submit your part and both "produce" the end product to a mutual liking"

There are some people who pretend that making beats = master of the universe

that rappers/vocalists should bow down and pay but that's bogus

but really, it is a mutual thing you need both to fully finish a product.

Instrumental albums are cool to other beat makers and dj's as is accepella collections but for a real release

meant for non music makers just music fans you need the complete package

A beat maker makes "beats" a producer follows through to the end finished songs
By roach lotion Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm
fasttrackpimp wrote:

Your friend a **** moron dude? :lol: Good luck with that approach, the rest of us are gonna get our bread. You only gotta pay if you're tryin to get them on one of you're projects(ie your album, your mixtape, etc). If you just tryin to get them a beat for their ****, they pay you for your work. You're friend got had if he falls into that second category and paid anything.

apparently U did not read what i said. it clearly states that HE approached the artist. but good luck on getting ur bread in an industry where u will get ****... everyone does, that's just the game. another lesson I learned from another's personal experience.
By poundaproblem Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Your friend is a moron and knows nothing of this biz....I been doing this a LONG time....when I solicit my services as a producer, engineer, mixing engineer I get paid EVERY TIME.
By roach lotion Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:14 pm
poundaproblem wrote:

Your friend is a moron and knows nothing of this biz....I been doing this a LONG time....when I solicit my services as a producer, engineer, mixing engineer I get paid EVERY TIME.

heard that a lot. maybe not long enough if everything went THAT well.
By roach lotion Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 pm
poundaproblem wrote:Sure you have....living through everyone elses experience and all....either way....Everything's fine over here homie...TRUST that :lol:

i'm just talking about this site alone, everybody's somebody but no one's heard of anybody :wink: ...as for the second part, i'd rather listen to what someone has to say that can help than make the same mistake.
By fasttrackpimp Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 am
roach lotion wrote:apparently U did not read what i said. it clearly states that HE approached the artist. but good luck on getting ur bread in an industry where u will get ****... everyone does, that's just the game. another lesson I learned from another's personal experience.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote either :lol: . On that second part, yeah happens until people learn wtf they're doing. I may not be that well known, but always get paid for what I do.
By roach lotion Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm
fasttrackpimp wrote:
roach lotion wrote:apparently U did not read what i said. it clearly states that HE approached the artist. but good luck on getting ur bread in an industry where u will get ****... everyone does, that's just the game. another lesson I learned from another's personal experience.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote either :lol: . On that second part, yeah happens until people learn wtf they're doing. I may not be that well known, but always get paid for what I do.

so where did ur understanding fail? it clearly states that if U the producer needs the services of the mc, u know what **** it i wash my hands with this. do what u do.