Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By artificial.intelligence Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:56 am
The best way is to have a manager contact the artist. The second best way is to introduce yourself. You have to sell yourself and your product. Most artists are interested in a different sound. You shouldnt have to pay an artist to listen if your trying to sell them a track. You can offer free service or a pack deal to get your foot in the door.
By b.read Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm
Maaaaaaan, are we talking about a beat for One Be Lo or Busta Rhymes?

If it's Busta, good luck :lol:

If it's One, just shoot the guy an email and be upfront.
By fawn Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm
best way to approach an artist?

from his blind spot, with the knife awready drawn.

:D

i fink a convo about 'collaborating' rather than services for hire (etc) is best if you are just starting out.
once you've got more of a name / profile / track record (no pun) in the biz, then it becomes more about mutual goals and (frankly) bizness decisions for each person.
By MPC4k Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:12 pm
I don't know, somethings gotta give. I'm a no namer in the "game" and I feel if a certain MC who is well known were to spit on my beat my shizz would reach a huge audience, if dude don't wanna spit on it for free then I doubt he would turn down cash. It's a business move, see it as an investment. Next time, another vocalist is not going to expect free beats and if anything would wanna work with you n reach for his/her pockets.

poundaproblem wrote:Man artists always need beats. Just straight up walk up to him and be like, "yo I got a track I think you would sound good on...interested?" and thats it.

And under no circumstance do you pay an MC.

What % of your leads would you say is through the net?
By Lord Lav Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:41 am
I think it comes down to reputation. It doesn't matter how good your beat is, a big artist is very unlikely to give your beat its dues and rhyme on it unless you've built a rep for yourself as an artist, locally at least. I'm not talking in absolutes but I'd say it's gonna be better to look to work with local cats that you rate. I'd also say choose who you work with like you should choose your women... WISELY!

Go to some local Hip Hop spots, or some cyphers and see who stands out. See what that person is like. Just because that person is a good emcee does not mean they're worth working with. If you're taking this relatively seriously then make sure it's someone that also takes it seriously. I say this even if you're just giving the beat away to them. Always be mindful that your rep for that beat will be tied to the artist you gave the beat too. If that person is a complete loser, or bum or all round shithead, that will also be linked to you in the minds of others. If that person ticks all the boxes then be frank and ask 'em if they wanna jump on it!

Maybe you're not taking this quite as seriously as I've suggested and this sounds a tad over-the-top but food for thought still lol....
By emceewhiterabbit Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:13 am
why do people think you have to be known to make money in the music business?! look at all the recording studio engineers over the world making money off of wannabee musicians, they make a comfortable living doing what they love!
By Lord Lav Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm
emceewhiterabbit wrote:why do people think you have to be known to make money in the music business?! look at all the recording studio engineers over the world making money off of wannabee musicians, they make a comfortable living doing what they love!

They might not need to be 'world famous' but even studio engineers rely on a good rep to get good consistent work, be that word of mouth or whichever. Wannabe musicians would rather spend their money on someone they believe in their mind to be a good engineer, than just anybody that says they can do it....

Of course this is merely my opinion