Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By psychoj Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:21 pm
I'm just wondering(more curious) if some of you are selling your music on itunes? If yes, i'm curious to see if it really helps you to increase your revenue and i'm wondering if it is hard to be able sell your music on itunes.
By Jfalconcrest Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:06 pm
Itunes only makes sense if you are well known enough to push through the noise. For lesser-knowns, Bandcamp is where it's at. Plus you can tie in physical goods very easily.
By StronghornStudios Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 pm
Jfalconcrest wrote:Itunes only makes sense if you are well known enough to push through the noise. For lesser-knowns, Bandcamp is where it's at. Plus you can tie in physical goods very easily.

Pretty much, unless your selling thousands of product, Itunes isn't the best option. Sites like Bandcamp seem to be the way most artists are going, and I can definitely see why.
By emceewhiterabbit Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm
bandcamp is international? i can't check as i'm at work, you see. all in all, thanks for letting me know before putting my music onto the internet. i knew there was a reason i post in here.
By mr_debauch Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:45 am
emceewhiterabbit wrote:bandcamp is international? i can't check as i'm at work, you see. all in all, thanks for letting me know before putting my music onto the internet. i knew there was a reason i post in here.

I am pretty sure it is, as most of my sales (downloads excluded... I'm talking physical copies) were from other countries.. however I cant say what a UK seller would get as far as restrictions etc.

I forgot about itunes, and it seems popular... in fact I always hear about people posting up podcasts (which are free) up on itunes.. but a few years ago when I looked into it... it appeared that you needed to go through a middleman to get it on itunes. I am curious if this is still the case which I find would be counter productive this day and age.
By Peesnuts Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 am
DSTRUCT wrote:how are you guys getting your stuff on itunes? how does it work

You sign up for a service like cdbaby or tunecore and they take care of it. The price is roughly $50/album. They also offer short run presses (small orders of physical CD's for you to sell).

Bandcamp works like this.

Say you sell an album for $10. They take $1 for every copy, but they don't take it every time. Basically, you sell 9 copies, and get all your money in your paypal, and they simply take every 10th sale.

Here's one some of you might not know...

Burn your project on a disc and pop it into iTunes. Edit the information on THAT disc (usually this is best with your master) then you can literally right click and choose "send to gracenote". They basically keep your information on your disc so the next time someone puts a copy in their computer, they can get the information for your tracklisting. The same data works for Windows Media Player when it "finds album info online"... FREE>