Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By emceewhiterabbit Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 am
Nym wrote:by that logic, it takes equal skill to A, loop a drum break as it does to B, chop drums from multiple breaks and build a new kit/pattern. i respectfully disagree. there is simply more work involved in case B. does it make one "elite" whatever that means? no, but it requires more skill (and performance dexterity when recording the new pattern)
By Copper_Tony Thu May 19, 2011 1:46 pm
man, i just hate people who think that making a sample based beat requires zero skill

i found this awesome comment on a youtube video about kanye samples that i think words it perfect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XaDeC2LEdA

"LOL I love how people say all he does it make it a higher pitch. Do yourself a favor. Grab a beat machine or a computer program any one of those records and try to recreate ANY of those songs"

oh yea check out my site fools!!! :p
By séance Thu May 19, 2011 5:13 pm
Nym wrote:by that logic, it takes equal skill to A, loop a drum break as it does to B, chop drums from multiple breaks and build a new kit/pattern. i respectfully disagree. there is simply more work involved in case B. does it make one "elite" whatever that means? no, but it requires more skill (and performance dexterity when recording the new pattern)

While I agree with what you say entirely, I felt that looping was being discredited in this particular topic, at the end of the day what I do makes me a thief, whether I loop or chop my breaks. So I'll do as I please, and please as I do.
By -niN Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 am
I'm PRO sampling.. deffo. nO MATTER WHO SEZ WHAT. :lol:

Still though, i think: Sampling from a "Hip Hop record" is like taking a picture of a photographe. It just does not make a lot of sence.. ???
By starcrusher Fri May 20, 2011 11:42 pm
séance wrote:

While I agree with what you say entirely, I felt that looping was being discredited in this particular topic, at the end of the day what I do makes me a thief, whether I loop or chop my breaks. So I'll do as I please, and please as I do.

church
By mainiakist Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm
i dont worry about sample clearance...i try and sample more than one song into a beat everytime i make a beat...if they want to sue me for mixing music...il laugh and gladly wear the handcuffs. its not even something i would ever worry about...DONT SAMPLE known shit. plain and simple. do some diggin for those sounds and chances are the artist you sampled is passed away, or certainly not looking for beats with their recordings in them. change the sample.
By dtaa pla muk Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm
séance wrote: at the end of the day what I do makes me a thief, whether I loop or chop my breaks. So I'll do as I please, and please as I do.

well put
By goldslum Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:25 am
look at Frank Ocean... he was signed to def jam.. not doing shtt... put out his mixtape on the side for free. it had an mgmt sample and a damn eagles sample (hotel california.. complete with guitar solo!) and i dont know that he got any heat for it... now he's re-releasing the album on def jam without the uncleared samples... that mixtape arguably got him the recognition that led him to work with beyonce, kanye, jay z and nas... so think about that man... think about that...
By b.read Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 pm
I love sampling. Period.

If you walk around Costco long enough, you get so full it's like a free meal.

bah dum crashhhhh 8)
By KappNeffect Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 am
b.read wrote:I love sampling. Period.

If you walk around Costco long enough, you get so full it's like a free meal.

bah dum crashhhhh 8)

By b.read Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:33 am
8)
By Ill-Green Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:08 pm
My dude who's a bass player for a jazz band at a hotel was listening to some of my collection at my crib. I played some Budos Band and he was like "wow, that sound is beautiful! Who are they?" I'm hard-up so I say "well man, you gotta figure that one, haha!" Dude busted out his iPhone and putted it to the speaker and said "Oh the Budos Band! HAHA!" He had an app that can tell what music you was playing thru any speaker. I was like yeah cool app (really frustrated though). But then it hit me, I pulled out my Swamp Water Plague EP and challenged him to decipher the samples of every song. Want to know what happened?
By b.read Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:23 am
Not a nayer nutter! :lol:
By Prah_860_ Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 pm
Ill-Green wrote:My dude who's a bass player for a jazz band at a hotel was listening to some of my collection at my crib. I played some Budos Band and he was like "wow, that sound is beautiful! Who are they?" I'm hard-up so I say "well man, you gotta figure that one, haha!" Dude busted out his iPhone and putted it to the speaker and said "Oh the Budos Band! HAHA!" He had an app that can tell what music you was playing thru any speaker. I was like yeah cool app (really frustrated though). But then it hit me, I pulled out my Swamp Water Plague EP and challenged him to decipher the samples of every song. Want to know what happened?

He told you good job and then......"titties popped out and there was @$$ everywhere...Jay a T/V....not quite E....it was J to the A to the N to the E"......

:lol: