Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Clint Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:45 am
I often come across the term 'Super-Producer' being used to describe certain individuals.

They only seem to exist in the realm of hip-hop/ urban music.

They dominate the charts for 2-3 years and then become less motivated to work so much.

They often cross over to the four to the floor dance music sound popular in Europe.

Sometime they wanna be artists too even though they can't sing or rap very well.

How come R&B producers get no shine?

Bryan Michael Cox, R Kelly, Ryan Leslie and uh...
By Metatron72 Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:19 am
Grenozh wrote:You forgot Teddy Riley.

Teddy Riley's sick. He did Doug E. Fresh 'The Show' and Rob Base's 'It Takes Two' if I recall.

Clint you're right, it does some odd the R&B/Soul producers don't get as much focus. They're generally less self-aggrandizing than the usual hip hop producer, so that probably doesn't help. Screaming "Hey look at me!", still seems to work in hip hop. :lol:
By ArKyve-31 Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 am
Rick Ruben is the ultimate "Super Producer" from rock to hip hop to country that dude has platinum records everywhere.

And Not speaking talent wise but Timberland gotta be mentioned, from aliyah and missy elliot, neptunes started in his studio, almost every hip hop/ rapper, nelly furtado, chris cornell, justin timberlake, his list as far as mainstream music is pretty stacked as well, and of course there is L.A. Reid.
By Coz Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 am
ArKyve-31 wrote:Rick Ruben is the ultimate "Super Producer" from rock to hip hop to country that dude has platinum records everywhere.

For someone to be considered a "super producer" they've got to have had success in more than one genre. Brian Eno springs to mind. 8)
By Ill-Green Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 am
Hip Hop and RnB today has pretty much the same sound, only singers get the shine because RnB producers are not original, every beat just says hip hop. I remember when RnB music was definable and had its own sound. Thats the problem, its doesn't feel like rhythm and blues.
By Coz Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:03 am
ArKyve-31 wrote:i agree slightly with Eno....

but I'm confused, are you saying Ruben wasn't?

No, I was just emphasising your point. Not sure what you mean by agreeing "slightly" with Eno? You not seen his production credits?!
By Clint Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:22 pm
Metatron72 wrote:Teddy Riley's sick. He did Doug E. Fresh 'The Show' and Rob Base's 'It Takes Two'

Is this true?

Is Kanye a Super-Producer or just a dope but eccentric producer...I dunno man.

And Shuko, a Super-Producer? (as stated in that other thread)...I never heard of dude until yesterday.

Extract from an article on xxlmag.com from 2008:

"Notable current and former super producers who I think are stuggling for relevancy, regardless of whether they’ve had hits recently:

1) swizz beats- his sound is just not interesting anymore. Too much yelling, not enough substance.

2) the neptunes- better as a rock band

3) scott storch- where’s this guy been?

4) lil jon- see above. Crunk really is dead.

5) Dr. Dre- headphones> songs he produced in last three years

Who else is struggling for relevancy? Who are the new super producers that have taken their place?"
By b.read Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:49 pm
Gabriel Roth :D not super rich, but just damned super.
By gertie Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 pm
black eyed peas?

clint246clint wrote:
Metatron72 wrote:Teddy Riley's sick. He did Doug E. Fresh 'The Show' and Rob Base's 'It Takes Two'

Is this true?

Is Kanye a Super-Producer or just a dope but eccentric producer...I dunno man.

And Shuko, a Super-Producer? (as stated in that other thread)...I never heard of dude until yesterday.

Extract from an article on xxlmag.com from 2008:

"Notable current and former super producers who I think are stuggling for relevancy, regardless of whether they’ve had hits recently:

1) swizz beats- his sound is just not interesting anymore. Too much yelling, not enough substance.

2) the neptunes- better as a rock band

3) scott storch- where’s this guy been?

4) lil jon- see above. Crunk really is dead.

5) Dr. Dre- headphones> songs he produced in last three years

Who else is struggling for relevancy? Who are the new super producers that have taken their place?"