Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Menco Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 am
So I'm part of a Dutch hiphop duo and our goal is just to get out there. At the moment we are working on an EP, and already have futureplans for an complete album.

Untill now we haven't released anything yet, not even an unofficial youtube clip.
We wanted everything to be perfect on the EP. Like 9 tracks, all part of the theme of the EP's title. Untill then we trying to stay under the radar, because we want to connect our name to something that's artistically strong. Except for a few small gigs we did, and despite the fact there are a few 'bignames' intrested in us and following us through mail.

I was talking with a co-worker of mine, who's a DJ and dubstep producer, saying that we're trying to push ourselves too far for an EP. He told me that the best way to approach an EP is just get out there. Letting people starting to take notice. Getting small gigs at festivals and such, maybe draw the attention of a lable. All those things that would make it easier for us to really come out and make a statement with an album.

Off course we should not drop things too quickly, but keep pushing back an EP may result in a project that at the end feels outdated to us as MC's and beatmakers, while in the meantime we already could have been out there, doing shows and having people getting familiair with our name.

After explaining to me what his thoughts were about the purpose of an EP it also changed my point of view on this. I now kinda have the feeling that we are treating this project as if it was our debut album.

So let me know what your thoughts are about this one. Keep working on this album length EP untill it's perfect, or drop a shorter EP, save some tracks for the album and come back with the big boom?
By es-k Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 pm
Menco wrote:
After explaining to me what his thoughts were about the purpose of an EP it also changed my point of view on this. I now kinda have the feeling that we are treating this project as if it was our debut album.

So let me know what your thoughts are about this one. Keep working on this album length EP untill it's perfect, or drop a shorter EP, save some tracks for the album and come back with the big boom?
an album length EP would not be an EP. It'd be an LP or an album. Does that help? I say go short make people want more. U should be able to generate a buzz with one song theoretically