Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By bliprock Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:00 am
So some guy emails me and asks if he can use a track of mine for a promotional video of longboarding for his sponsers. I said sure, just give me a credit in the titles before you upload to the net and i will be happy. I seen his stuff and its good videos of crazy longboarding from around the world. Fast tempo track to fast tempo sport is a winner.
So what would you guys say to this request. Would you just ask for a credit and leave it at that? Or would you be screaming for cash. I mean I am broke but think asking for cash means he would just get another track from somewhere else. unless he wants it bad, but i think he is not rich and wont pay anyways and since its for no commercial use really its win for me without cash. Least thats the way i see it. Anyone got any thoughts? This is first time i have had to deal with business side of things....
By b.read Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm
I wouldn't start hollering about money, he'll most likely do like you said and go elsewhere. I would think if anything (aside from the credit on the video that is) you may be able to get a bit of product that he gets flowed to him, but that's a long shot and really depends on your relationship with the guy.

If you don't have big plans for the song and want to be a part of the video, I'd say go for it... :) Just make sure he knows exactly how you want your name listed. Don't want to be credited in a way that people have trouble finding you on the interwebz afterwards.
By bliprock Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm
thanks b.read. nice. yeah i did exactly that and i will drop a link as soon as its done and I get it. Yeah its a sport i would not do, but dig it at the same time. I love mountain biking but this stuff looks suicidal to me compared to a free ride session on a bike. Each to there own hey :? . Much better than under water ironing I think, so thats a bonus. cheers
By b.read Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:51 pm
Yeah...definitely drop a link for us if it pans out. I had something similar pop up for a skate video but the dude flaked. Fingers crossed for ya... 8)
By Coz Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:39 pm
Definitely go for it, but on a wider scale it's sad that all the time, effort and expense we put in gets reduced to something we give away for free.

Getting our music sync'd with TV, documentaries and film is one of the few remaining areas left to make money outside of download sales and live performance.

I would personally run with it, but if he comes knocking again I would consider asking for an upfront fee.