Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Yoga Flame Kane Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:50 am
Do you show multiple artists the same beat that you showed someone else? Let's say I gave someone a beat a while back and they have not used it or said anything about recording it. I have recently been getting contacted a lot more lately for beats and now I have someone inquiring about purchasing beats but I got all these beats that people are sleeping on. What is the best way to go about this? I have several beats that I have sent to multiple people, but I'm tired of waiting, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I just show the other artist the beats, and whoever claims it first gets it?
By Tha_Skywalker Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:43 am
Yoga Flame Kane wrote:Should I just show the other artist the beats, and whoever claims it first gets it?

Yup, I say give the artist time to try and attempt to create something to your beats but if they take way too long. Show it to somebody else who's digging it, cus 95% of the time the person or persons you sent that beat to weren't feeling it that much therefore they were not able to write anything to it.
By Lampdog Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm
I'd say over 2 months and they've done nothing with it, give it to someone else who will actually use it.
By Prah_860_ Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm
I think it depends on the understanding between Producer and MC...I know I am currently sitting on a couple beats...some because of collabs...some because of my hectic schedule and the fact that I may not have the whole vision put together...but the industry's work ethic is changing to where if you give a dude 5 beats at 8pm...by 6am he done turned it to an EP.....I am just thankful that I have collab'd with dudes who have patience.... :lol: :lol:

BTW...paying customers are a different story...get your payment and stfu.....lol.....but if it's free...then you are in control
By b.read Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm
I've gone through this with a few people in the past and have a few tracks that are getting dusty right now. Instead of bugging the shit out them like I did when I younger and antsy, I just wait for them to do their thing like Prah said. When someone else comes along that shows interest in a song that's already in someone else's hands, I'll hit up the first cat and ask what their plans are for it and remind them that my main focus is making good music/putting some food on the table/whatever you choose. From there, they will either do something with it, or pass on it. Either way, you've got something set up for the song.

This will differ however, if the person that's being slow is someone that you REALLY want to work with...which is what I'm dealing with now. Pain in the ass, but it'll be worth the wait IMO.
By keepitcherry Thu May 03, 2012 5:49 pm
i just posted this same subject before i noticed this thread :lol: i'm getting tired of my beats collecting dust too, and i just started a new project with a new emcee...some of these joints have been a few months so i've already moved on and given them to the new artist. it is what it is, sorry! :lol:
By KevWestBeats Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 am
Yoga Flame Kane wrote:Do you show multiple artists the same beat that you showed someone else? Let's say I gave someone a beat a while back and they have not used it or said anything about recording it. I have recently been getting contacted a lot more lately for beats and now I have someone inquiring about purchasing beats but I got all these beats that people are sleeping on. What is the best way to go about this? I have several beats that I have sent to multiple people, but I'm tired of waiting, but I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I just show the other artist the beats, and whoever claims it first gets it?
whoever cuts the first large check gets it
By peeping tom Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 am
Prah_860_ wrote:
paying customers are a different story...get your payment and stfu.....lol.....but if it's free...then you are in control