Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By MadFresh Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 pm
What's up?

I'm a rapper/producer currently in Japan and wanna try and send my beats to indie hip hop labels here. I wanna ask you guys here who have experience with this for advice cause it's the first time I'm doing this. Except of course for putting my best beats first, what are some things I should think about? I've seen that some of the labels require at least 2-3 beats, but what would be a good number to send? I don't wanna bombard them but still I wanna send as many tracks as possible to show what I got and what I can do.

Also, my stuff is not copyrighted so I'm worried about my beats getting jacked and plagiarized. How would you guys tackle this? I've considered tagging the tracks but I was thinking if the label people would find it annoying cause if I'd tag them I'd wanna put tags quite frequently so there would be no chance of any jackage going down. Also, I could try and copyright the beats but most of them are sample-based and I heard it can be difficult to register the beats in that cause. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

If any of you have experience approaching indie labels, I'd appreciate some advice!

Thanks!
By bicedidit Fri May 25, 2012 4:20 pm
when i interned at universal, (which is the opposite of indie) they rec'd boxes of demos every day and none were listened to. it was all about who u knew. if u werent connected to someone, they werent interested.

im not sure about the protocol of indie labels tho

good luck.

send them something that sets you apart
By yabyum Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm
All the major labels have a no unsolicited demos policy. It would actually create legal issues for them to even listen or open, but mostly bull and they mostly don't want to pay someone to go through them all. Plus about 99.99% of demo submissions are surprisingly crappy looking with no care or professionalism considered, it's a waste of time for them.

Most indies on the other hand have places you can submit demos and gladly welcome them. Almost always clearly stated on the label's website because they either don't want to deal with them or value them as a discovery tool. You have to target what label you'd want to be on, what fits with their style and catalog to even be in the right stratosphere.

Then if they do take demos, and you think you'd be a good fit, it's your job to convince them how/why. Plus remember, you have one chance so make a good first impression. I wouldn't be too worried about people stealing if you're sending to the right people.

You also have the option these days of opting out of the label route entirely and take it in your own hands and owning your content.
By MadFresh Sat May 26, 2012 12:34 pm
Thanks for the input guys!

I don't know exactly how it works with indie labels but on some of the labels' websites, there are clear guidelines about music submissions. One site even has an application form that you need to fill in and send along with your music. So, I get the impression that they take it seriously and that they will take the time listen to what people send them but of course I can't really know for sure.

Also, I actually know someone who worked with one of the labels I'm planning on sending beats to. He's offered to help me out approaching the label so I'm hoping for the best.