Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Riggs Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:58 pm
Hey guys,

I do electronic music.... I also do singer/songwriter acoustic guitar stuff. I'm starting to work out how I'm going to post my music online and try to promote and sell it.

I can't figure out if I can get away with putting these two different styles under one name. I'm afraid it would confuse anyone that might like to check out my music.

I'm looking for opinions. What do you guys think? I'm using my given name for my acoustic singer stuff for sure. Should I use a different name for my electronic stuff?
By crossings Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:16 pm
depends... if you think the 2 styles would actually appeal to a similar audience... then go for it... if not, maybe separate the 2 projects..... a lot of musicians have released all kinds of styles under their name... aphex twin, brian eno, herbie hancock... just a few that come to mind right away...
By Jamon Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:23 am
It's too much work to manage separate identities. If there's 5 websites you need accounts on, with 2 personas that's 10. You'd need separate email addresses, and if you get new messages on one, but you're signed into the other, then you have to sign out and back in. It's not practical. If you were rich and famous, you could hire people to manage it all for you, but you're not.

Plus you have to keep them both alive. If you're working on some acoustic stuff for months, then the electronic person looks dead. Whereas if you just accept that you're 1 tiny person, then it's continuous, and people see you're at least still alive, even if you're busy making stuff they don't like.

Just use your name, and single account, but, label your uploads to be specific so people interested only in 1 style you produce can quickly ignore the rest.

So, if youre username is "jdthompson", you don't need to make another account, just name your songs in a clear way, like:

revolek - dance hard - sunspot remix #2
jdt - acoustic slow - lazy afternoons
jdt - acoustic funk - busta string
revolek - trance - rezolution

Just make the info easy for people to filter and consume.
By Clint Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:25 pm
Jamon wrote:It's too much work to manage separate identities

Never thought I'd agree with Jamon on anything but now I do, to an extent.

I know many artists and producers have done seperate projects/ experiments under a pseudonym (alias name) so this position must have its merits, no need for a seperate identity (website, email etc) per se. Just put your stuff out there.

The alias 'name' is simply linked to a phase in your creative development, or an individual project. If and when audiences start to buzz and wonder "Who is creating this music, its great" you can choose whether to remain anonymous, or take the credit. Pseudonyms are easily dropped or replaced if things dont work out as planned.

Use the main identity for your bread and butter work. Try other stuff under a pseudonym which is not officially attributed to your main identity.
By Riggs Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm
I know I want to do it all under one name for all the reasons Jamon said. Then it all falls apart when bandcamp.com says I have to pick a genre.

I think I'm going with two names. I'm starting to put an acoustic group together and I also play in another acoustic group and solo too and it makes sense to use my name there. All of my electronic stuff so far is just me and it's all over the place.

I'd rather just be making music than thinking about all this. :-D

So.. Thanks everyone for helping me figure things out!
By m56p87 Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:23 pm
Riggs wrote:I know I want to do it all under one name for all the reasons Jamon said. Then it all falls apart when bandcamp.com says I have to pick a genre.

Ha, are you serious? Dude that shit dosnt matter. I think of it this way, everything I make comes from me thus it is MY style. Your not helping yourself at all by setting limitations like that; one genre per alias. Or else when your making tracks you'll be thinking about the limitations you have to stay confined too instead just following it down the rabbit whole - where I think your actual style comes from.

Hell why not make a few tracks and bring the two together, then you can at least have a mental overlap and not feel the need to stay confined to one or the other. I'm very adamant about giving advice on these subjects because the wrong way can send you into a feedback loop for a while and when you finally get out of boxing yourself in you'll wish you did it ages ago.