Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By markusv3000 Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:14 pm
If you are trying seriously pursuing music producing you should look at yourself as a business / brand, and you should follow best business practices. The world’s most popular brands have blogs: Nike, Sony, Ford, and almost every other big business.

1. Web Traffic

If you have a static website, your content quickly become old. There is no reason for visitors to return for the same information. A blog allows you to easily add new content, which trains your visitors to check back for fresh content. Some blogs post daily, weekly, or even bi-weekly. Blogs allow you to add content easily which helps generate new traffic.

Also, if the content of your blog is relevant to a wider audience, people will link back to your website, and share your site on social networks.

2. Build a Fan Base

Having a blog gives you a voice. It gives you the opportunity to showcase your personality and work. You can post photos, video, beats, express your opinion, whatever you want. It is your personality, style and branding, and if people like what you are posting, and the work you do, they will share your post with others, and will continue to return.

3. Connect with Fans

Blogs allow you to get direct input from your fans. When you post new content, visitors of your site can leave comments, and share their thoughts. You can ask questions, run polls, get feedback on your ideas, which can help you improve and help to connect with your audience more. When someone leaves a comment, you can reply, and keep the conversation going. This will allow you to connect and network with new people.

View the rest here http://hiphopmakers.com/8-reasons-why-every-music-producer-should-have-a-blog
By m56p87 Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:21 pm
I think every producer should have a website. But not a blog, I'm already over saturated with people's opinions these days, and most don't have enough knowledge to actually give well constructed ones... So I would hate to see everyone feeling even more self righteous about themselves. But I think every producer should have a way of connecting with fans over the net, it's so easy to cultivate your own little following these days...
By KevWestBeats Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 am
m56p87 wrote:I think every producer should have a website. But not a blog, I'm already over saturated with people's opinions these days, and most don't have enough knowledge to actually give well constructed ones... So I would hate to see everyone feeling even more self righteous about themselves. But I think every producer should have a way of connecting with fans over the net, it's so easy to cultivate your own little following these days...

this....
By psr Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:33 pm
5 reasons not to

1. Blogs ain't worth it if you don't consider the work that it takes to keep fresh content.

2. Also if it doesn't look good it's more damaging than beneficial.

3. Also everyone doesn't have the patience or talent to actually write interesting and cohesive posts.

4. Pimpin ain't easy.... I mean writing ain't easy for some.

5. Same reason everyone don't need to make music. Access to the tools just ain't enough to justify the train wreck :lol:
By MPC-Tutor Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:41 pm
I agree, there's a lot of work involved in blogging effectively and successfully, so it can quickly become very time consuming, but absolutely worth it if you have the skills and dedication to keep it flowing. But perhaps a non-blogging web site used in conjunction with a very active microblogging profile (e.g. Twitter) would work well if time is a bit more limited.
By mr_debauch Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm
twitter is that site that you dont need to use.... to use.

I personally dont get who sits on twitter reading sh!t... do people really read all the thoughtless posts made by everyone? The once in a while I log in... I read the top half a page of what ever is there.... then that is about it.

keeping consistent is one thing... but the dude makes it seem like blogs are the internet's way of doing that. Guess what, if people are a fan of you cause of music... why are you trying to hold them over with blog posts instead of more music?