Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By Coz Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:The legal stipulations are also the copyright laws wherever you are located.

The legal stipulations would apply to wherever the samples are stored (servers in Sheffield UK for example), and I would be solely responsible for spelling out what can be done with the samples.

So for example, I could create a pack that is freely distributed with the proviso that my name and logo (or whatever) is printed on any accompanying artwork if the samples are used in a commercial recording. Tutor would have to step in with the specifics, but I'm sure this is entirely feasible.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 am
I've done a bit more research into this, looking at license agreements from companies who really know how to write a license that covers every base, e.g. istockphoto's audio content license.

Seems to me their license specifically covers everything:

1) You can make musical compositions for yourself or for third party clients, no problem

2) You cannot send copies of the licensed sounds themselves to those clients, nor can they receive the music in a format where they can directly access or extract the isolated licensed sounds. So basically, the default intention is that you provide the client with a ready-mixed master of the entire music (so the $15 beat guys are happy)

3) If the client wants stems where the licensed sounds will be isolated and therefore easily extractable, the client has to accept they should purchase their own license for the sounds from the original sound publisher, as the beat maker himself does not have the right to transfer his license, nor sub-licence it.

I feel that's a pretty decent license agreement. This ensures the only person who is allowed to utilise the original sounds for music creation is the actual license holder, while the client can still have a music made for them under that license. I would assume clients wanting music for soundtracks, computer games, film & TV etc, are not likely to want stems, they just want a single, mastered WAV file to drop in to their project.

However if the client does want that extra control to perform additional mixing or compositional changes themselves, then he simply also has to buy a license for the sounds (or have the producer buy it on their behalf as part of his fees). I believe in practice, the type of client wanting full buyout and stems isn't going to think twice about this minor cost, the only people who would baulk at this idea are the guys who live in the $15 beat world.

Ultimately any producer who expects to be able to have the power to just freely give away third party licensed sounds to all his clients is being completely unrealistic. The whole point of sound licensing is that only the license holder gets to a) possess the sounds themselves, and b) make the music with the sounds.

Anyway, I think I got that out of my system now :)
By mr_debauch Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:27 am
^yes tutor that is a good license... that makes sense entirely compared to the idea that the other license had.. which would be terrible IMO
By Coz Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:39 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:istockphoto's audio content license.

I'm still ploughing through this… it's not exactly concise is it?! It seems very much geared towards synchronising audio with video from what I can tell. I noticed they're also selling a few sound effects at £5 a pop - people on ice skates, someone snowboarding etc. I might have to nip up the Snowdome with my digital recorder and see if they're interested in the sound of someone falling off a snowboard. :mrgreen: