Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...
By BlackMamba Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:11 pm
Hi,

So i have been making beats for some time now. I never had the ambition to really sell my beats, until a couple of days ago someone approached me to use one of my beats exclusive for his upcoming album. This guy is is signed to indie label. Now i've had done some research and i already now i have to send him the track out wav etc etc. But i have a question about the contract. When do i send him the contract? Do i send him the contract after he paid me via paypal. And i send him the wav files along with the contract. Or do i have to send the contract before.
I know normally u sign the contract before, but after reading and watching topics of beat selling i am really confused.

Thanks in advance!
By MPC-Tutor Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm
BlackMamba wrote:I know normally u sign the contract before, but after reading and watching topics of beat selling i am really confused.

Yes, send the contract first - now both parties know the exact terms of the deal before money and audio are exchanged. He reads it, signs it and then sends you the money. Once you receive the money, you send him the WAVs.

It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, and TBH I can't see why anyone would suggest the process should occur in any other order. Sending the contract after payment makes no sense, the agreement needs to be in place before money exchanges hands.
By Clint Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:40 am
Make sure the contract is watertight before you send it, otherwise it may not be worth the paper it's written on. People with 'contracts' get screwed over every day, not least in the music industry. Careful not to overdo it though or you could lose the placement, take a common sense approach and fight for a production credit...