Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...

By digital_bastard Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:05 am
Binger: Thanks! One can always count on you bringing info.

By FLUENT Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:01 am
bing droppin knowledge..good shit

By binger0 Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:30 pm
:D nah but gotta give mad props to funk doc. he be droppin some knowledge. U cats should read all this inside out casue on the real music is like 90% biz and 10% talent when u are talkin bout majors. The more u know before goin into a very very bad contract the better u will be.

By Smoove03 Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:34 pm
binger0 wrote::D nah but gotta give mad props to funk doc. he be droppin some knowledge. U cats should read all this inside out casue on the real music is like 90% biz and 10% talent when u are talkin bout majors. The more u know before goin into a very very bad contract the better u will be.

you know what bin, i agree about a certain thing u said. when i listen to the radio now it proves what u juss said is a fact. 90%biz and 10% talent. i hear so much bullshit on the radio now like aint nobody got talent. they either got the voice or tight beats so someone gives em a chance. you right, but i think people should also work on they skills as well as the business side. learn all that shii!!!!!!! :) ur right tho....

By DaFunkDocta2004 Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:51 pm
Nuff respect to bing. I just want everyone to realize that this can either be a hobby or a very risky CAREER DECISION. This can either be a job you're applying for for the next 5-10 years or a passion that never dies with every win or loss.

The truth is, however, that there are very few rules to this business. If cats don't LIKE YOU, you can forget it. Grab that little label intern's ass? Go ahead, she won't give your record to Flex, lol! But I'm sure you all are aware of this by now. I'll admit, I'm not a people person, and it has been to my detriment. So, people person skills have to be a priority. Know how to speak to people, know what humility, and never ever ever ever sleep on anyone!

If there were any particular personal lessons I've learned is this:

1. Never get a manager until your personal affairs and transactions are beyond your realm of control.

2. Never sign with anyone wearing more than one (maybe 2) hats. Everyone needs to be focused.

3. Get a damn accountant on your side, BLACK PEOPLE! Sheesh, you know how many time I hear cats say "I can count the money, man, I'm not stupid". Well, here's some news for you, jack...

4. If you're gonna be indie, STAY indie. Especially these days. Universal Records is NOT the goal! Financial independence for you and your grandchildren are.

5. The definition of a hit record changes almost every year. So do YOU. Nuff said.

6. Test Marketing. Any of us could do this almost at any time. It's the easiest and most important activity for us as new artists. Who's gonna buy your CD? Where do they work? How old are they? WHY should they buy it?

7. Mailing Lists. I update mine as a force of habit. Have I used it yet? No. Are my relatives on there? Yes. Ex-girls? Yes. Everybody and their cousin is on my list if they're willing to give me an address or email address. Gather up your peoples, people...uhh yeah.

I'm out til next time...yo bing, I think we can collab in the future on some specific knowledge. let me know.