Talk about the music biz - marketing, promotions, contract law, copyright etc...

By StonesThrow Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:55 pm
I charge like 4 mil a track

By Soulcon Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:06 am
I don't understand why rappers don't look after small beatmakers that wouldn't charge much. If the beat is hot, nobody would complain, and things would get much more fair, and at the same time the beats would get better.

By StonesThrow Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:28 am
because the general public is stupid. And when a big producer is tied to a track, such as timbo. peoplle are more likely to buy that song because hes on it. But thats more with popular rap. with less pop rap they do give a lot of young producers chances. Such as Jay-Z with dynasty la familia. Just Blaze and Kanye had like 8 tracks on that album. And that was back when no one knew them He gave them some exposure from that album.

By dknows2 Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:01 pm
Man VS Machine wrote:I've got a ? .... at those prices are they flat out selling the beats or licensing out the rights to use the beat.

I doubt very seriously that producers at that level would sell their beats outright. No royalties? That would be very "unsmart". Can you imagine how much money they would leave on the table for some of the multi platinum albums that they have produced tracks for? Scotch Storch is reportedly worth about 70 million and that can't be from selling the rights to his music.

By tattootroy Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:50 pm
Ekl1p5e wrote:Yeah, R Kelly gets $100K for a beat and I heard of people payin the neptunes up to $750K for a beat.

do you know what sort of gears r kelly use or any website i can go to read about his production stuff . its very hard to find it in google .bare sh it always pop up.
that tp.com cd was wicked those bass and vocal warmth was some ting else

By i.vleagueent Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:33 am
na my dude rza gets like 40k for a beat

By allergic2life Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:53 pm
i heard dre gets a butt load of cash for a joint

By LaJProd Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:32 am
Skooter5 wrote:i heard nas bought a beat from pharrel for a mil. And this song has yet 2 be released

That was only a rumor....Pharrell has already said that this did not happen!!!!

By cunoSvaa Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:44 pm
its mad hard not to buy a beat if you go platnuim or the artist has super clout in the biz
but at the same time like lil brother
"i only listen to beats, thank God for 9th"

thats the thing about it beats bang but at the same time no one wants to hear about a starving artist until he's out there and has all the starving looking at him then they wannna get his old stuff ...like it really matters now that he blew up its actually a really good business tactic that the commercial wack rappers and A&R use to sell them self out for fame

but thats why i love my stuff ...not the stuff i do for jiggy heads or when i feal like making a club beat for fun
but my soul stuff that i can indulge in and be happy with it even if no one ever hears it

By Abom Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:47 pm
New producers working on a major project...(it does happen... thats been the G Unit and Dipset model.. using unknown producers with fire) should never sell a track for less than 3.5 grand unless the label/artist is buyin more than one.

If you already have a discography the goin rate is between 6 and 8 gs. Problem with majors is it takes too long to get that initial check! You might wait 6 to 8 months to find out if your work will make the...project so expect to live off that advance (if you get one).

The business model is changing..A&Rs don't have those big budgets so this is a good time for new producers...the usual suspects ie. Scott Stortch, Cool and Dre, Swizzee and cats on that level won't be getting as many tracks on individual albums. Even producers with heavy BDS numbers are gettin less work from the majors! (High BDS does'nt alawys equate to Soundscan numbers...DJ Unk, Walk it out-2700 spinz and less than 10,000 units sold 1st week!

2007 is gonna be an interesting year for new producers....ya'll betta get your game up.

By LaJProd Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:47 am
Abom wrote:New producers working on a major project...(it does happen... thats been the G Unit and Dipset model.. using unknown producers with fire) should never sell a track for less than 3.5 grand unless the label/artist is buyin more than one.

If you already have a discography the goin rate is between 6 and 8 gs. Problem with majors is it takes too long to get that initial check! You might wait 6 to 8 months to find out if your work will make the...project so expect to live off that advance (if you get one).

The business model is changing..A&Rs don't have those big budgets so this is a good time for new producers...the usual suspects ie. Scott Stortch, Cool and Dre, Swizzee and cats on that level won't be getting as many tracks on individual albums. Even producers with heavy BDS numbers are gettin less work from the majors! (High BDS does'nt alawys equate to Soundscan numbers...DJ Unk, Walk it out-2700 spinz and less than 10,000 units sold 1st week!

2007 is gonna be an interesting year for new producers....ya'll betta get your game up.

Good info!!!!

By Jacpot Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:48 am
LaJProd wrote:
Abom wrote:New producers working on a major project...(it does happen... thats been the G Unit and Dipset model.. using unknown producers with fire) should never sell a track for less than 3.5 grand unless the label/artist is buyin more than one.

Good info!!!!

By DjChronoBeats Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:37 pm
Chronobeats 15k-30k per track... that's how much everyone should be chargin to anyone puttin out an album that has alot of funds for the project. Yea you got your online beats but those beats are only worth about $1000-1500 unmixed and un-coproduced... that's why I keep my best stuff offline meaning my stuff that's fully mixed, had musicans do their thing, and ready to rap over or sing with no changes needed.

$15,000-$30,000 for industry heads
$2000 for online cats... and I'll only do a club banger or something custom for'em
Science and prah- get Free beats
Clchrn- Dre's fee
Jwhat- $100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
ghost produce... Hehheh $16,000-$30,000 in cash, plus royalties, plus contacts and $2000 more to keep my mouth closed.

By DjChronoBeats Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:41 pm
seems a lil harsh but some of ya'll gota do it, as much as it's hard to belive not that many people a lot of artist run into are dope, or they don't have that sound they're lookin for... and don't act cocky, but get ya paper, don't lett'em rip you... and don't sell a whole cd full of beats for $2000. If they don't wanna give you what you want then ****'em... the best thing to do now days is shop your beats to producers for their contacts... the artist is gonna know who did the beat and you'll be getting lots of calls trust me.