Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By Woli Wols Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 pm
Hey guys,
Picked up a bargain 2500 and was concerned and sickened as the previous owner smoked a rollup dropping Ash all over the
top of it but for $580 au I couldn't resist!!
Sadly there seems to be a few issues with the oldgirl, I have never owned an mpc before so theres a high possibility of me being an idiot!!

firstly the screen fades to nothing after an hour, no biggie I want the bigger screen at some point anyway. Any cheap fixes in the meantime?

Pads
When Im naming samples hitting "O, G or M" inputs the same gobbledygook "OGR_(UU" or something like that, as well when I'm in program screen it seems these pads turn off after a millisecond or so, almost like a note off message.
I did a full factory reset to ensure that there were no chokegroups etc going on, could it be another setting or are the pads just dying? Could it be the sensors need a clean??
I also put jjos free on to see if it was a software issue but I get the same random letters.

Upgrades
I would like to restore this beast back to prime glory. I'm pretty set on a bug screen and fat pads. In guessing that a hardrive and memory upgrades are the other two essentials? Anything else I'm missing??

Cheers!
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 am
Woli Wols wrote:Hey guys,
Picked up a bargain 2500 and was concerned and sickened as the previous owner smoked a rollup dropping Ash all over the
top of it but for $580 au I couldn't resist!!
Sadly there seems to be a few issues with the oldgirl, I have never owned an mpc before so theres a high possibility of me being an idiot!!

firstly the screen fades to nothing after an hour, no biggie I want the bigger screen at some point anyway. Any cheap fixes in the meantime?

Pads
When Im naming samples hitting "O, G or M" inputs the same gobbledygook "OGR_(UU" or something like that, as well when I'm in program screen it seems these pads turn off after a millisecond or so, almost like a note off message.
I did a full factory reset to ensure that there were no chokegroups etc going on, could it be another setting or are the pads just dying? Could it be the sensors need a clean??
I also put jjos free on to see if it was a software issue but I get the same random letters.

Upgrades
I would like to restore this beast back to prime glory. I'm pretty set on a bug screen and fat pads. In guessing that a hardrive and memory upgrades are the other two essentials? Anything else I'm missing??

Cheers!

When in program mode are the pads set to "note on" or "one shot"? If its set to "note on" then the sample on that pad only plays for as long as you press your poop digit <-- "finger" on the pad. switch the pads to "one shot". i hope thats the problem with the pads. For the screen i believe if you hit "mode" then pad 10 i think you can change the contrast on the screen. thats worth a shot for now until you get the bigger screen. As for naming samples I've always used the jog wheel it sucks at first but you get the hang of it quickly you'll be whipping names for samples programs and tracks in no time. you can also use the + and - button as well to maneuver left and right instead of the wheel. Its been awhile since I've had the smaller screen. i have the smaller screen. Hit me up if you want to buy it. Do you know what version akai OS he was running when you bought it? may be wise to get the recent updated OS. I would try all the above if its still janky then im sure you can pin point whats causing it. Hopefully everything pans out.
By selecta jo Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:27 pm
hello!

on the akai os the lcd-contrast can be altered by holding the shift button and turning the data wheel. this function is always active - so it could be you accidentally changed this setting.

peace, jo
By Woli Wols Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 pm
Hey guys,

For anyone coming back to this thread with a similar issue I fixed the pad problem.
I opened up the unit and re-seated the ribbon cable going from the pad sensors to the board underneath, careful when removing as the plastic casing is real fragile, i broke one ear off but it still seats fine!
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:21 pm
Woli Wols wrote:Hey guys,

For anyone coming back to this thread with a similar issue I fixed the pad problem.
I opened up the unit and re-seated the ribbon cable going from the pad sensors to the board underneath, careful when removing as the plastic casing is real fragile, i broke one ear off but it still seats fine!

im gladto hear you got it working. Thanks for updating your post thats helped me alot in the past trying to figure out a problem on here.