Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By kinnikinnick Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 pm
Hi all!

I own a 2500 and I'm looking to play live with it since it has 8 outputs that can be paired with a mixer.
I'm on a JJOSXL and I'm looking for some tips on how to link every output to the mixer since I haven't found aynthing on the web.

Thanks,!
By misterfade Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:45 pm
kinnikinnick wrote:how to link every output to the mixer

Do you mean just to assign each track to the 1-8 outs?

Did you check Mode + Pad 7 -> Out -> Sequence Track Mixer? Just assign the outs for each track there.
By kinnikinnick Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:09 pm
Thank you Mr misterfade for your answer,
I an looking to play live but I don’t know how could I play a loop from one project simulatenously with a loop from another project.
As far as I tried you cannot play a loop from a sequence on top of a loop from another sequence.
How do you recommend to do?

Thanks
By HanHuman Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:08 pm
kinnikinnick wrote:Thank you Mr misterfade for your answer,
As far as I tried you cannot play a loop from a sequence on top of a loop from another sequence.

If you're on JJOS XL or OS3 V2, there's a simul sequence feature:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/128xl/ss_seqe.htm
You'll have to make your complete live set inside one single project and assign your songs to different outputs through tracks outputs, as well as playsing them simultaneously via "simul sequence". Then using your mixer to make transitions. Bouncing back and fourth between output A and B, the turntablist way.
Always gotta find somewhat clever ways to make things happen with these machines.
By kinnikinnick Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:17 pm
Ok, i came back with another issue.

How many tracks, sequences and programs can fit in the 128 mb of ram? Is it enough to perform an hour?
I am also thinking of hooking some drum machines to the setup too.

Thanks

HanHuman wrote:
kinnikinnick wrote:Thank you Mr misterfade for your answer,

If you're on JJOS XL or OS3 V2, there's a simul sequence feature:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/128xl/ss_seqe.htm
You'll have to make your complete live set inside one single project and assign your songs to different outputs through tracks outputs, as well as playsing them simultaneously via "simul sequence". Then using your mixer to make transitions. Bouncing back and fourth between output A and B, the turntablist way.
Always gotta find somewhat clever ways to make things happen with these machines.
By HanHuman Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:22 pm
kinnikinnick wrote:Ok, i came back with another issue.

How many tracks, sequences and programs can fit in the 128 mb of ram? Is it enough to perform an hour?

Thanks

It's safe to say you'll never run out of tracks, sequence or whatever. Dunno the exact number but it's way more than you would most likely ever use. The only real limitation is the 128mb ram. That's a limitation you need to be creative with using looping, discard all the unused parts of your chops as well as using MIDI for external instruments if needed instead of sampling etc.
You could very well do a 1h gig with less than 1 minute of sampling time, I think 128mb is giving you more than 10 or 11 minutes of sampling time so you can even have relatively long notes, voices or chunks of songs.
By kinnikinnick Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:50 pm
Ok, but if the ram is used at almost full capacity isn’t the mpc going to work slower with a higher probabilty to crash?
I mean this happens in case of a PC. If RAM is running at full capacity the PC is working slower with a probabilty to freeze.

LE: I’ve seen people playing full live sets with a 2000xl which has 32MB of RAM

HanHuman wrote:
kinnikinnick wrote:Ok, i came back with another issue.

Thanks

It's safe to say you'll never run out of tracks, sequence or whatever. Dunno the exact number but it's way more than you would most likely ever use. The only real limitation is the 128mb ram. That's a limitation you need to be creative with using looping, discard all the unused parts of your chops as well as using MIDI for external instruments if needed instead of sampling etc.
You could very well do a 1h gig with less than 1 minute of sampling time, I think 128mb is giving you more than 10 or 11 minutes of sampling time so you can even have relatively long notes, voices or chunks of songs.
By HanHuman Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:06 am
kinnikinnick wrote:Ok, but if the ram is used at almost full capacity isn’t the mpc going to work slower with a higher probabilty to crash?
I mean this happens in case of a PC. If RAM is running at full capacity the PC is working slower with a probabilty to freeze.

LE: I’ve seen people playing full live sets with a 2000xl which has 32MB of RAM

Never went out of ram with the 128mb, so you'll have to see it for yourself.
But you can't compare PC and MPC. PCs slow down because of virtual memory or RAM not being able to deal with what is thrown at it.
MPCs are simple, they load shit or they dont. They manage well what they load and ignore the rest.
By kinnikinnick Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:02 pm
I am asking for more help as I am stuck.
If I play some loops from seq1 and then I link through Simul Seq the second Seq they play together. If I change the Seq from 1 to 2 the Simul Seq setting remains ob the 2nd Seq therefore results in a nasty sounding overdub.
Isn’t the Simul Seq required to keep the setting for tha 1st Seq only?

By kinnikinnick Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:06 pm
kinnikinnick wrote:I am asking for more help as I am stuck.
If I play some loops from seq1 and then I link through Simul Seq the second Seq they play together. If I change the Seq from 1 to 2 the Simul Seq setting remains ob the 2nd Seq therefore results in a nasty sounding overdub.
Isn’t the Simul Seq required to keep the setting for tha 1st Seq only?

LE: I found a way to not overdub the same sequence but I don’t know if it’s the right way.
So I am waiting for the loop to begin again, then i select the 2nd sequence and then as rapidly as I can I turn the Simul Seq off.
Is there another way on how to do this?

Thanks
By HanHuman Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:40 am
kinnikinnick wrote:LE: I found a way to not overdub the same sequence but I don’t know if it’s the right way.
So I am waiting for the loop to begin again, then i select the 2nd sequence and then as rapidly as I can I turn the Simul Seq off.
Is there another way on how to do this?

Thanks

Not sure how you do this but the idea is:
- Setting Seq1 + Simul seq 2
- Setting Seq2 + Simul seq 3
- Setting Seq3 + Simul seq 4
- etc
- Then go to [NEXT SEQ] screen and trigger them as you please. Not using SUDDEN so they don't overlap as soon as you tap but "at the end of BAR" or some option like that IDR. That way you flip between them tightly.
By kinnikinnick Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 pm
Ok, so I am on my way to having a live performance using the MPC.
What about a power conditioner?
Do you recommend using one to power my mixer and my MPC or is it suitable only for studio equipment as in compressors/distressors/eq’s?

Thanks
By HanHuman Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:35 am
kinnikinnick wrote:Ok, so I am on my way to having a live performance using the MPC.
What about a power conditioner?
Do you recommend using one to power my mixer and my MPC or is it suitable only for studio equipment as in compressors/distressors/eq’s?

Thanks

I'm not too savvy on the subject. I only have one for all my studio gear. Which could be absolutely sub optimal, but I have no noise so it works for me.